Sub 1kilo 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
JackRabbitSlims

Sub 1kilo 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations.

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 13 Jul 2016, 7:10pm

I'm looking for a sub 1 kilo 3 season sleeping bag for Touring.
Down not Synthetic, full Zip, regular / normal length and I quite like a "mummy style" / 0 - +5 Deg C as the comfort rating.
Current bag is a Marmot Plasma 0.
Wanting to go lighter with a much smaller pack size.

I was very impressed when I saw the "Spark" bags from S2S, but I would prefer a full length zip so I can open the bag right out, plus the review on Outdoor Gear Lab put me off a little. Even though it was their "Top Pick" the comments regarding it having patchy cold spots and not being very versatile are a concern
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingb ... ries=spark
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacki ... park-Sp-II

I'm going to have to buy sight unseen and online as the prices here in NZ are offensive for a new Down bag! Yes, even when you include the shipping :)
If I keep it under $400 NZD ($292 USD, 220 GBP, 262 Euro) NZ Customs will let it through without duties or other taxes.....over the $400 mark and we get stung!

The Alpkit Pipedream 400 looks nice, but I am unfamiliar with the brand and how long it will take to actually get the bag here in NZ? - Yes, I will ask them.

I'd love to hear your recommendations please that suit the above characteristics.
Also, can you link some UK based online stores selling Bike Touring / Camping Gear please? - Since Brexit our Kiwi dollar has gained on the pound and is worth considering.

Thanks if you can help me out.
Cheers.

pjclinch

Re: Sub 1kilo 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations.

Postby pjclinch » 13 Jul 2016, 8:05pm

Alpkit are a good brand for solid, well designed and built stuff at a keen price (mainly thanks to online-only distribution). Not cutting edge, but excellent value and not a poor shadow of cutting edge performance either.

If you want cutting edge down and are shopping in the UK look at PHD. Expensive, but they do have sales from time to time.

Also look second hand. My wife's 3 season downie is a second-hand PHD, her 4 season a second hand ME. Our daughter's are second hand Marmot and TNF, much, much cheaper than full price and as well-cared-for down lasts decades, no real performance drop.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 13 Jul 2016, 8:47pm

Thanks Pete.

PHD looks like great stuff - too pricey for me to buy offshore though. I'll keep an eye out for a sale.

I've sent AlpKit an email re lead in times and delivery for a PipeDream.

Yes, I'm checking 2nd hand options as well.

Cheers.

bohrsatom

Postby bohrsatom » 13 Jul 2016, 9:28pm

I have a Rab Neutrino Endurance 200 (2013 edition). It packs up small in its compression sack and weighs 685g (according to my notes - this year's one weighs 742g according to ultralight outdoor gear), but only has a half zip so you would need to make a sacrifice there. Comfort is 5c, limit is 0c.

I've only used it during spring/summer, however on a few cold nights I still felt pretty cozy inside.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 14 Jul 2016, 1:21am

Cumulus Lite Line 300
From Poland, €210, 650g

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 14 Jul 2016, 1:56am

bohrsatom wrote:I have a Rab Neutrino Endurance 200 (2013 edition). It packs up small in its compression sack and weighs 685g (according to my notes - this year's one weighs 742g according to ultralight outdoor gear), but only has a half zip so you would need to make a sacrifice there. Comfort is 5c, limit is 0c.

I've only used it during spring/summer, however on a few cold nights I still felt pretty cozy inside.

Thanks - I saw a lot of RAB gear last time is was in the Himalaya's (Nepal) - looks good.
It doesn't have much of a presence here just yet, but some of the Online Stores I use (German) have it available.
Still looking for the full Zip though :)

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 14 Jul 2016, 1:59am

andrew_s wrote:Cumulus Lite Line 300
From Poland, €210, 650g

Looks good!! - Never heard of this crowd, but will definitely investigate.

Thanks for the introduction :)

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 14 Jul 2016, 8:55am

JackRabbitSlims wrote:
From Poland, €210, 650g

One of those brands that just never seem to have taken off, though not anything to do with problems with the product. I've heard plenty of good reports over the years, but never actually seen one for sale (or in the flesh). Seems to be a marketing/distribution snafu, which is a shame.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 14 Jul 2016, 8:57am

pjclinch wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:
From Poland, €210, 650g

One of those brands that just never seem to have taken off in the UK, though not anything to do with problems with the product. I've heard plenty of good reports over the years, but never actually seen one for sale (or in the flesh). Seems to be a marketing/distribution snafu, which is a shame. (there's plenty of other European brands, well liked in their homes, that are practically invisible in the UK).

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 14 Jul 2016, 9:30am

Have to say i've been very happy with my Spark SP1, yes I know you prefer full zip but the half zip set up works very well. Previously I was using a Gelert 500 with a full zip but it could be cold through the zip area even with a silk liner.

Go to a good outdoor shop and try a few bags - a trip to Ultralight Outdoor could be worth the effort.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 14 Jul 2016, 11:21am

I use a PHD Minim 300 (from the sale a few years back), but I'd heard enough reports that googling the Cumulus name and checking the website seemed likely to be useful.

pjclinch wrote:I've heard plenty of good reports over the years, but never actually seen one for sale (or in the flesh). Seems to be a marketing/distribution snafu, which is a shame.
The last I heard, Cumulus were attempting to get people to order via a UK importer's site, along with a re-brand to "Criterion", but I figured that wouldn't apply to a New Zealand order.

iviehoff

Postby iviehoff » 14 Jul 2016, 12:17pm

Obviously you are looking for a down bag to get a 3 season bag anything like this weight. You wouldn't get near it, except from a liar, with synthetic. I have a high quality 2 season synthetic mummy bag and it is nearly 2kg

"3 season" means different things to different people. If you look at a bag like this, you might call it 3 season, or you might call it 2.5 season. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/sleeping-bags/ascent-500 I've several times had frosts of -5C camping in Britain in the spring, even as late as May, and that is putting this one to its comfort limit.

So for weight/price trade-offs. The way you make sleeping bags lighter for the same warmth is to put more expensive feathers in them.
That one is just over a kilo at the kind of down quality you can get for your budget, and RAB uses good duck down, basic duck down can be a lot worse than they use. If you upgrade the down, which for the serious suppliers means proportions of goose down, to take the weight down, they get a lot more expensive, because goose down is a lot, lot more expensive. So this one isn't quite as warm, but is the closest approximation I can find in the RAB range at the next quality up, it saves between a fifth and a quarter of the weight, but costs 50% more. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/sleeping-bags/neutrino-400 And then they have some serious expensive ones, as the proportion of goose down goes up. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/sleeping-bags/infinity-300 So this one is slightly less warm again, but the closest I can find, in pure goose down, and is now double the price.

You say you want a full length zip, but I've never seen a serious high quality lightweight bag with a zip all the way to the end. The reason is that people want their feet to be warm. These are not the kinds of bag you can zip together.

With bikes, you say, cheap - light - strong, choose any 2. With sleeping bags, it's cheap - light - warm, choose any 2. So you have to make trade-offs, and I think you are probably going to have to compromise a little on some aspect of your specification. Though clearly you can reduce the price by going second hand.

Bags do get less warm with abuse. I know this because due to ignorance I did abuse my first down bag, and it is a lot less warm than when I bought it. So caveat emptor.

hufty

Postby hufty » 14 Jul 2016, 1:04pm

Cumulus.pl make the bags sold by criterion-sleepingbags.co.uk. As you'll see from the latter's website, marketing isn't really their strong point. Criterion used to be called Cumulus hence there was an agreement that the Poles wouldn't ship to the UK. That's changed as of this year.

Anyway I got a Panyam 450 with hydrophobic down direct from Poland just before the pound dropped. It's a lovely bag, well made, roomy, lofts like anything, you can feel the build up of body heat, recommended. The only thing, as with any bag from any manufacturer, is making sense of the temperature ratings. At the moment I'm thinking I should have gone warmer but that's no reflection on the quality of the product.

[edit: the bags are full zip by the way]
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 14 Jul 2016, 4:28pm

Thanks all for the great replies.

Yes, a "full zip" was an incorrect description - my current bag has a zip all the way down to that start of the foot box...also has a zip going the other way from the foot end which enables you to open from that end.
No, I don't want a bag that can be joined to another, I'm just not that keen on a bag that only zips a potion of the way down.

@iviehoff - yes, a trade off it will have to be. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and end up paying more for what I want. I'm happy to compromise on a few things, but a good nights sleep is not really one of them.

Thanks again - you've been a big help!

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 14 Jul 2016, 4:56pm

I can get the RAB Ascent & Neutrino bags off a German site (minus the VAT) in my price range - so that is positive!