Sub 1kilo 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
irc

Re: Sub 1kilo 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations.

Postby irc » 15 Jul 2016, 10:44am

You can also order PHD sleeping bags without the 20% VAT - so 20% off their prices.

If you are ordering for delivery outside the EU, VAT does not apply and 20% will be deducted from the prices shown at time of order.]

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/ordering-payment

If you are not needing to buy immediately I would strongly suggest waiting for a PHD sale to buy a bag. I got a Minim 300 bag in a recent sale. I ordered a long/wide bag - 11% wider and 8% longer than standard as I'm 6ft3. The first mummy bag I've had that I fit without compressing the down at the head or toe when using the hood. The weight (not counting stuff sac) is 725g (with a half zip). Obviously a standard size bag would be lighter.

I'm confident it would be usable a few degrees below zero. I compared it side by side with my old bag which was OK down to just above zero and it had far better lofting. PHD rate their Minim 400 at -5C so -3C for the Minim 300? A few degrees colder with extra clothing on.

Another reason for waiting for a sale is that PHD offer non standard bags in their sales. Usually a Minim 300 (300g fill) is only available as a custom bag which is more expensive. My bag was around £250. It depends whether you sleep cold or hot but IMO a 300g fill of good quality goose down is a good compromise for a 3 season bag. Copes with freezing but not overkill for warmer nights.

JBB

Postby JBB » 15 Jul 2016, 12:51pm

hufty wrote:Cumulus.pl make the bags sold by criterion-sleepingbags.co.uk. As you'll see from the latter's website, marketing isn't really their strong point. Criterion used to be called Cumulus hence there was an agreement that the Poles wouldn't ship to the UK. That's changed as of this year.

Anyway I got a Panyam 450 with hydrophobic down direct from Poland just before the pound dropped. It's a lovely bag, well made, roomy, lofts like anything, you can feel the build up of body heat, recommended. The only thing, as with any bag from any manufacturer, is making sense of the temperature ratings. At the moment I'm thinking I should have gone warmer but that's no reflection on the quality of the product.

[edit: the bags are full zip by the way]

I got one of these as well to replace a very old green dragon. very comfortable - note it comes in different sizes. I wanted a short one and bought from here. http://www.cyclo-randonnee.fr/sac-de-co ... -1530.html. Very helpfull as although the website says they don't deliver to the UK they added it as a temporary option after an exchange of emails.

nmnm

Postby nmnm » 15 Jul 2016, 2:16pm

I have the alpkit pd 400, mentioned by OP. Nice bag, felt like good value. For me (thin, 45, big airy tent) it was fine in sheltered French campsites, early October, but just a bit higher up, on a clear night, I was fitfully dreaming of another 100g or 200g of down. OP mentions 1kg and £220gbp and 3 seasons, which, of the alpkit bags, sounds more like the pd600 to me.

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 15 Jul 2016, 5:31pm

irc wrote:You can also order PHD sleeping bags without the 20% VAT - so 20% off their prices.

If you are ordering for delivery outside the EU, VAT does not apply and 20% will be deducted from the prices shown at time of order.]

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/ordering-payment

If you are not needing to buy immediately I would strongly suggest waiting for a PHD sale to buy a bag. I got a Minim 300 bag in a recent sale. I ordered a long/wide bag - 11% wider and 8% longer than standard as I'm 6ft3. The first mummy bag I've had that I fit without compressing the down at the head or toe when using the hood. The weight (not counting stuff sac) is 725g (with a half zip). Obviously a standard size bag would be lighter.

I'm confident it would be usable a few degrees below zero. I compared it side by side with my old bag which was OK down to just above zero and it had far better lofting. PHD rate their Minim 400 at -5C so -3C for the Minim 300? A few degrees colder with extra clothing on.

Another reason for waiting for a sale is that PHD offer non standard bags in their sales. Usually a Minim 300 (300g fill) is only available as a custom bag which is more expensive. My bag was around £250. It depends whether you sleep cold or hot but IMO a 300g fill of good quality goose down is a good compromise for a 3 season bag. Copes with freezing but not overkill for warmer nights.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, PHD appears to be "Top Shelf" gear :)

I've joined their newsletter subscription. Will they / Do they advertise the Sales, or should I just check their site regularly?
I am definitely ordering from outside the EU and I have a few months up my sleeve before departure.

irc

Postby irc » 15 Jul 2016, 5:48pm

You'll get an e-mail. I think it's spring and autumn for the sales. Also check the bargain box. There is returns and slight seconds put there from time to time.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/bargain-box

JackRabbitSlims

Postby JackRabbitSlims » 15 Jul 2016, 6:25pm

Good to know!

Thanks.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 17 Jul 2016, 10:20am

I'm sold to sleeping quilts!

So much better not feeling constrained in a mummy bag. Also you can use the quilt when staying outside 8)
I have one made from Enlightened Equipment. 600gr for a -6ºc, and packs down in a 2.5lt drybag.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

For a 2/3 season, I use my own, made with Climashield Apex. Packs down to 1.5lt and 400gr. Paired with a Sol Lite thermal bivvy is good for temperatures very close to 0ºc
(the one on the left is the NeoAir Xlite sleeping pad)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...