Should I book my camp sites in the Netherlands?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
MrsHJ

Should I book my camp sites in the Netherlands?

Post by MrsHJ »

We leave on 5th August and I've arranged the first night in a hotel with access to the airport to keep stress low for junior (who you may remember is on the spectrum).

The rest of the nights we hope to spend camping (although I'll take the warm showers and fiets thingie details for difficult weather etc). Hoping to spend several nights in the nature camps and the rest in regular campsites.

Should I book in advance? I'm dithering about a few nights still that don't have very natural route splits to campsites so I'm not fully decided for the whole 2 weeks but I do want it to be fairly low stress for junior. I don't normally book ahead and that hasn't caused problems in the past in France but I know how packed out everything gets in this country.
bohrsatom

Re: Should I book my camp sites in the Netherlands?

Post by bohrsatom »

Personally I wouldn't bother to book ahead. You might not get to the planned site due to a mechanical issue or because you stop at an interesting place for an afternoon and would probably lose any deposit paid.

There are a lot of campsites in Holland so in the unlikely event of finding a full site you wouldn't have too far to ride to find another. Having said that, from 100ish nights of camping in Europe (including NL) we have only ever been turned away from a full site once - usually they can find space for a small tent.

If you don't want to take even a small risk, you could call up sites at lunchtime on the day you plan to arrive to confirm if there will be space for you?
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Depends on your temperament really. Some are happy finding and booking places day to day. Some don't book and just turn up and see. Some need everything booked. Plenty of sites so up to you really.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

PhilWhitehurst wrote:Depends on your temperament really. Some are happy finding and booking places day to day. Some don't book and just turn up and see. Some need everything booked. Plenty of sites so up to you really.

A great answer. I found the NL to be easy to do spur of the moment arrivals. Warmshowers not so easy.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Excellent, spur of the moment suits me so I'll stick to that, thank you all.
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Heading off to Netherlands myself next month. How did you find the campsites? Any difficulties? I realise this is an old post. Hope it finds you!
Meejozzz
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We're off next month too. Haven't got round to even think about where to stay. It's good to know you can take the chance on just turning up.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Did a tour in Holland last year. Booked the sites but did not have to pay in advance, apart from Texel.

Didn't make one because of the weather. Next time I'll not bother as all had plenty of space. This was in July
Last edited by Toffee on 16 May 2017, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mavis2016

Post by Mavis2016 »

Us too, in August - we might book a night or two and a night or two(!) with VODF but we generally like to free range (which is why we decided to carry the camping gear after all).

Almost anyone anywhere will squeeze you in if you arrive by bike in our experience. Especially with a knackered looking child!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm off to the Netherlands for the last week of August, so useful to read this. Think I might book for the first night (Saturday). I'm going to stay at Natuurkampeerterranien sites where I can.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

By and large you would not need a reservation, apart from sites on the islands in the north. By late August, most Dutch people will be back at work, and kids will be back at school.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thanks!
Found this useful website: https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/cho ... untry.html. Fascinated to see how many European countries split their holidays across the country.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just back and only one campsite was a bit iffy. One tiny plot jammed in.between two Dutch teenage lasses or a corner plot between large caravans or something similar. We moved on.

One thing I spotted. Noord Holland seems to have many sites to the west (north sea coast) but very little from the middle to the east coast (isselmeer/markermeer IIRC). They do big campsites in that region I reckon. Most were a lot bigger than UK sites.