Wild Camping at Severn Bridge

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Claud

Wild Camping at Severn Bridge

Post by Claud »

Does anyone happen to know of a good wild camping spot near the M48 Severn Bridge? Either side is fine.

(On route from SW to S.Wales, and campsites add 10-15 miles to the route. And wild camping is fun anyway :) )

Thanks!
landsurfer

Re: Wild Camping at Severn Bridge

Post by landsurfer »

Sorry to be a pedant but .... doesn't wild camping in England and Wales just mean trespassing ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

There is a small campsite in the village of Aust less than a mile from the bridge. It is a farm type site with limited facilities but marginally better than trying to wild camp.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Claud

Post by Claud »

Thanks, bikepacker - would be ideal. Do you have any details or a more precise location? I can't see anything on google, UK Campsites, or OS maps.

(Re. trespassing, personally I wouldn't camp on private land without permission, and anyway I find farmers are usually happy to accommodate a small tent & trust we'll be gone in the morning with no mess. Rules for common land vary, and also common application of the rules. But that's all off-topic anyway :) )
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Try Newhouse Farm Passage Road Aust. I think that was the one.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You can also camp behind the pub in Aust village, virtually underneath the bridge! Can't remember what the pub's called but I remember the facilities are pretty basic – no showers or anything, just a field and use the pub loos.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

landsurfer wrote:Sorry to be a pedant but .... doesn't wild camping in England and Wales just mean trespassing ?

and your point being ?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

profpointy wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Sorry to be a pedant but .... doesn't wild camping in England and Wales just mean trespassing ?

and your point being ?

Well i expect if it was your land, garden or small holding you would not be so happy.
Thats the point.
Be more Mike.
John-D

Post by John-D »

I've never really thought of gardens as wild.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:Well i expect if it was your land, garden or small holding you would not be so happy.
Thats the point.

If my land was so big that I would not notice a tent, or my estate big enough to contain a mountain I would not worry about a trespasser.

He called me a louse and said, Think of the grouse
Well I thought but I still couldn't see
Why old Kinder Scout and the moors round about
Couldn't take both the poor grouse and me
He said, All this land is my master's
At that I stood shaking my head
No man has the right to all mountains
Any more than the deep ocean bed

With a bit of cunning you can get away with a bit of wild camping. I have never had to clear out before the morning.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

John-D wrote:I've never really thought of gardens as wild.

Mines wild and has grandkids wild camping (not trespassing) on it as i speak ...lol
Be more Mike.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

You could always pitch camp at the old services, the petrol station is still in use 24/7 and the main building for the services is much smaller now with the majority of the building being offices so nobody will be there overnight apart from you.
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

Rather than a computer says no approach to life I think you should use your own brain. Also landsurfer why do you want to poopoo someone else's idea?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Redvee wrote:You could always pitch camp at the old services, the petrol station is still in use 24/7 and the main building for the services is much smaller now with the majority of the building being offices so nobody will be there overnight apart from you.

I was thinking of the same place. If you look at google earth there's a little copse between the roundabout and the services. The 10 m of road leads to a something owned by Wessex Water, possibly a pump. If you do stay usual wild camping 'rules' about fires and litter would be advisable. Even better take a carrier bag and pick up some of the litter that is there and bin it.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

My wife and I stayed at the Travelodge at Aust Services in June and there was a security guy occasionally riding around there in a van during the evening.

Claud.
The person who camped at Aust with me about 3 years ago thinks it may have been Cliff Farm in Passage Road. Maybe one or other of us are getting mixed up but check out both names. When you get there at the front it looks like a scrap yard but around behind the barn it is quite nice.

Also spoke to someone who wild camped on the other end of the bridge by an old forces training centre. Don't know it myself but maybe some other local cyclist can help.