Pillow talk - a serious problem ( for me )

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Pillow talk - a serious problem ( for me )

Post by mercalia »

Cant really get a good nights sleep camping, thought it was the mat so finally got the fattest Thermarest available - Mondo King, not too heavy also. :D But I now conclude its really the pillow - I need a fullisze firm pillow like I have at home, to raise the shoulders and neck a bit, not the piddling little things only fit for a kid that go for campers pillows. Any ideas? Cant just stuff clothes into a stuff bag as dont take many spares. so thinking what can you stuff into a pillow in situ or thinking laterally a blow up thingy that would provide the bulk needed but not mean too much extra weight? I cant be the only one here who cant sleep dead flat, get back aches.
Si

Re: A serious problem ( for me )

Post by Si »

I use an el-cheapo inflatable pillow that's about 1ft by 6 inches by 4 inches. On top of which I place my micro-fleece towel for a little more height and more comfort. Problem that you'll find is that if you've a really thick mat you'll need an even thicker pillow, unless you put the pillow on the mat and have more of your lower regions hanging off. This is what I found to my cost when recently sleeping in somewhat cold conditions on bumpy ground, thus leading to be taking three mats.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I don't think there's anything wrong in taking a full size pillow. They're easy to strap on top of the load and a foam or polyester pillow actually doesn't weigh that much. I would say weigh one and see what you think. Yes, it will slow you down a bit but so will not getting a good night's sleep. The other thing is that a full pillow provides a lot of warmth. You've got my sympathy on this.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I use a medical inflatable pillow off ebay. Inflates as big as a 'proper' pillow but takes up no space and weighs nothing.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
khain

Post by khain »

Wouldn't an Ortlieb pannier work as a pillow? I've never owned one but if completely watertight they should hold air.

Has anyone ever tried?
PH

Post by PH »

As well as an inflatable pillow (Which isn't enough on its own) I put some stuff under the end of the mat.
MrsHJ

Re: Pillow talk - a serious problem ( for me )

Post by MrsHJ »

I make my cycle shoes the core of my pillow then wrap Spare clothes around and stuff into a stuff bag/mini rucksack and wrap a fleece around the outside....I may have overanalysed this a little!

Given you don't have spare clothes I'd have no objection to a blow up pillow but reckon the fleece around the outside approach helps to soften the texture.

The other thing is that you have nothing to brace the pillow against (at home you have the bed head) so placement and slippage can be an issue.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

MrsHJ wrote:
The other thing is that you have nothing to brace the pillow against (at home you have the bed head) so placement and slippage can be an issue.

I find the hood of a mummy bag holds my inflatable pillow (an Exped one) reasonably well. I guess one might add sticky-back velcro to the top of the mat and the base of the pillow?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong in taking a full size pillow. They're easy to strap on top of the load and a foam or polyester pillow actually doesn't weigh that much. I would say weigh one and see what you think. Yes, it will slow you down a bit but so will not getting a good night's sleep. The other thing is that a full pillow provides a lot of warmth. You've got my sympathy on this.

thing is my pillow at home is one use the bits from a bean bag not one of those fluffy sink in ones, so mine is really quite solid and once used and leaves an imprint like in the sand. hence my dilemma I think need to try some kind of large blow up , thanks all for ideas as this is issue is really spoiling things for me
jags

Post by jags »

Thermarest medium is a great pillow
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Down pillow and a compression sac?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Take a look at the Exped air pillow - I really like mine. They pack up small, you can easily control the firmness and they even come in a few different sizes should you want something close in size to a real pillow! I find that the material doesn't feel that comfortable so use a buff as a pillowcase of sorts and it works a treat.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I'm the same - need a substantial pillow - lying on my back at the moment in tent just south of Macon - against what will be my pillow in ten minutes time - 90% full rear right clothes pannier - the fleece I've got on will serve as a pillow slip to stop the pannier rubbing holes in my ears :D
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

pjclinch wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:

I find the hood of a mummy bag holds my inflatable pillow (an Exped one) reasonably well. I guess one might add sticky-back velcro to the top of the mat and the base of the pillow?

Pete.

Good thoughts.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

maybe you could get one of those pillows with polystyrene balls in them that they sell at chemists & health food stores?

They're fairly bulky, but they don't weigh much.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom