How long does it take you to get going in the morning?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
MrsHJ

Re: How long does it take you to get going in the morning?

Post by MrsHJ »

Depends if it's just me or me and the family. Climate is also a factor as like others have said in places like Spain and Portugal I like To be on the road by 7am (if they unlock the campsite gates in time). Anyway me by myself I shower in the evening and assuming my kit is ready to go about 40 minutes to strike the tent and load the bike. With the family it's anyone's guess. I also don't want to disturb other campers by leaving at a really silly time in the morning although these days there seems to be a cycle tourists enclave in most sites where early starts are common. Anyway with the family in cooler Northern Europe we do well to get away before 9:30, sometimes it's 10:30 and I'm not a big fan of packing soggy tents.
syklist

Post by syklist »

bikepacker wrote:Usually takes me about 90 minutes from waking up to being on the road. That does however include two large mugs of tea and a muesli breakfast while breaking camp.

Before Syklist Junior arrived we would take that long including a relaxed breakfast with toast and coffee. After Junior we have to work hard to get going in 90 minutes or less and have managed it on a couple of early starts.

All bets are off when we try cycle camping with Junior and Junior Mk 2 next season. :lol:
So long and thanks for all the fish...
syklist

Post by syklist »

MrsHJ wrote:... and I'm not a big fan of packing soggy tents.

We take a microfibre towel to wipe down the tent both inside and out. Useful if you are camping where weather or other conditions mean that the sun won't hit your tent in the near future.
PH

Post by PH »

syklist wrote:

We take a microfibre towel to wipe down the tent both inside and out. Useful if you are camping where weather or other conditions mean that the sun won't hit your tent in the near future.

It's also why I have a preference for inner pitch first tents and a dislike of those that stay all in one. My fly comes off, gets a good shake and stuffed into it's own sack, not in contact with the inner at all. I might at lunchtime drape it over something if it went away wet and the sun's come out.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Two hours is average for me and my gf, including eating breakfast (usually museli with fruit and a yoghurt) and drinking a mug of coffee. TBH I always wish we could pack away faster but whether we rush around or take things slowly it always takes the same amount of time.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

On my own it usually takes me about an hour, or a bit more if I am not in a hurry. My routine is to shower in the evening, boil hot water for tea/coffee in the evening and put it in a thermos so I don't have to get the stove out in the morning, and keep most clothing etc packed. I prefer fly first tents, but the downside is that the fly can still be wet in the morning, and soak the inner once packed. So unless the weather is warm and dry, I take out the inner first, and pack it separately. This way it stays dry when packed, but also afterwards when I am pitching in the evening. I like to be on my bike by 8.30, or 9.00 at the latest.
When I am touring with my wife it usually takes longer, and when with the children even longer again.
Last edited by willem jongman on 19 Oct 2016, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If we assume we are talking about a nice, dry morning, my wife and I can be rolling away in about an hour. We are starting to pack sleeping bags and mats into panniers as soon as we wake. One gets out and starts breccy while the other passes out the contents of the tent. By the time coffee is made the tent is down and partly folded. On a rainy morning we try to do much the same, but using any nearby shelter for breccy and so on. Toilet time takes as long as it takes, but we are usually off not much more than an hour after waking. I think we see it as a game. How quick can we be? And in warmer climates it is great to get a couple of hours of cycling done in the relative cool of the morning. By the time the sun gets high in the sky we like most of the day's miles to be behind us.
syklist

Post by syklist »

PH wrote:
syklist wrote:

It's also why I have a preference for inner pitch first tents and a dislike of those that stay all in one. My fly comes off, gets a good shake and stuffed into it's own sack, not in contact with the inner at all. I might at lunchtime drape it over something if it went away wet and the sun's come out.

So how well does that work if it is raining heavily when you come to take your tent down?

This is the main reason why we like tents that pitch the flysheet first. If it is raining, you can take out the inner tent in the "dry" and pack it into a pannier and then wipe and or shake down the outer and pack that.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

syklist wrote:...
So how well does that work if it is raining heavily when you come to take your tent down?

This is the main reason why we like tents that pitch the flysheet first. If it is raining, you can take out the inner tent in the "dry" and pack it into a pannier and then wipe and or shake down the outer and pack that.

That is the reason I only use tents of this kind. In UK you really need it, being able to pack all your stuff -including the tent inner, if there's one- and get yourself ready is priceless.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...