Decathlon sleeping bag and mat

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
UniCycle88

Decathlon sleeping bag and mat

Post by UniCycle88 »

Hi,

I am looking at sleeping bags and mats for a tour from London to Greece via Spain and Italy this winter.

Decathlon has a down one for £100, 0°C, 1.2kg

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/0-ultralight ... 28550.html

And another synthetic for £50, 0°C, 1.6kg

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/0-light-hiki ... 05075.html

I plan to use a silk liner with either (£25):

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/silk-hiking- ... 29035.html

My buget is £100 for the bag and maybe £50 for mat.

I have no idea about mats, what should I consider?

I know Decathlon is not the best but they usually are good value for money.

I can sleep in a lot of clothes including a down North Face jacket so a bag that goes to 0°C seems reasonable.

Regards.
Last edited by UniCycle88 on 13 Oct 2016, 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldun

Re: Decathlon sleeping bag and mat

Post by oldun »

Hello unicycle88,
As i understand it the down sleeping bags do ( with the aid of a compression bag ) fold down a bit smaller than a synthetic bag , but if they get wet , well , a real pain to dry out . The synthetic bags dry out much quicker , so like for like i would go for the synthetic bag just on the off chance that the bag may get wet at some stage .
I used to have a down sleeping bag which was great , but after many nights of unpacking , sleeping ,packing and general man handling i did find that some of the small feathers did start to find their way out of the bag and the little quill ends started to annoy me whilst trying to get to sleep . The weight difference is of course a consideration , but for me it would be synthetic .
The only mat i have ever used is a 10mm cheap foam type with one silver heat reflective side .

I have ( yesterday ) just bought a sleeping bag for my trip from southern Spain to Santiago in the north , which i start on Monday next ....can't wait .
UniCycle88

Post by UniCycle88 »

oldun wrote:Hello unicycle88,
As i understand it the down sleeping bags do ( with the aid of a compression bag ) fold down a bit smaller than a synthetic bag , but if they get wet , well , a real pain to dry out . The synthetic bags dry out much quicker , so like for like i would go for the synthetic bag just on the off chance that the bag may get wet at some stage .
I used to have a down sleeping bag which was great , but after many nights of unpacking , sleeping ,packing and general man handling i did find that some of the small feathers did start to find their way out of the bag and the little quill ends started to annoy me whilst trying to get to sleep . The weight difference is of course a consideration , but for me it would be synthetic .
The only mat i have ever used is a 10mm cheap foam type with one silver heat reflective side .

I have ( yesterday ) just bought a sleeping bag for my trip from southern Spain to Santiago in the north , which i start on Monday next ....can't wait .

Thanks. I am sure I would end up getting the down one wet.

Do you think the £50 Decathlon bag is good enough?

Hope you enjoy your trip!
irc

Post by irc »

Are you taking a tent? I've never had an issue with my down bags getting wet except when bivvying without a tent.

Down bags compress much more than synthetic. Without compression straps, a stuff sac is all that is needed. They are warmer for a given weight. I've no experience of the Decathlon bag but with 560g duck down filling (L version) it will be fine to around freezing.

Better quality bags would have high quality goose down which lofts more so less is needed. The fabrics used would be better and construction possibly better. You would end up with a bag weighing 700 or 800g being as warm as your 1.2 kg Decathlon bag while weighing less and compressing more. But the Decathlon bsg will be fine.

Before choosing I would suggest going into a Decathlon store and unpacking and re-packing both bags to see how much smaller the down bag goes. You may not find it's a huge difference or you may find the space saving in your panniers worthwhile. Best way to see is to compare the bags side by side.

If you choose the down bag for an extra £50 quid saving 400g it's about the cheapest weight and space upgrade on your bike or gear.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Our kids have not standard decathlon air mats for cycle touring. They're fine on them but clearly have plans to move into my neoair. It depends how sound your back and hips are. If you sleep well anywhere the decathlon mat is fine, if you're more of the princess and pea type them you'll need to test any mat choices carefully.
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

I had two Decathlon mats, both failed after a few weeks. One delaminated and the other developed a hole about the valve unit. Otherwise the Decathlon gear I've used has been great.

I've had the best luck with standard Thermarest mats. I had a Neoair, but it delaminated after 4 months of use. It seemed to be too light to last.

I use a down bag, I like the low weight and compressability. I don't use a liner, I sleep in thermals if it's cold.
khain

Post by khain »

I find the stated comfort ranges a bit optimistic on sleeping bags. I think it's the temperature at which you can sleep, rather than a temperature that actually feels comfortable. Likewise, the extreme temperature is the temperature at which you can stay alive, but not necessarily retain all your toes and fingers.

Down bags do tend to get wet in cold and humid climates, such as a British winter. They're probably better for cold, dry climates like Antarctica and the tops of mountains. Having said that, I've toured Scotland in winter with a down bag and not had any major problems with it getting wet. If you haven't actually seen the bags I would go for the down one as synthetic ones tend to be considerably more bulky than down. The weight isn't that big a deal but the space they take up can be.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

If you're on a budget, consider of making your own sleeping quilt! :wink:
A good synthetic insulated quilt can be done for less than £80 weighting 6-700gr only! 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Always worth looking for second hand: I've bought a pair of down bags for my kids for under £100 that would do what you're after.

Getting down bags wet is widely quoted as a reason to be wary of them by... people that don't use them. Those that do don't seem to have many issues, you just need to take a bit of care (always a good idea anyway on a long camping jaunt, as you'll want at least one dry set of clothes as well as dry sleeping bag). I've used down bags exclusively for Scottish mountaineering for the last 30 years and only had one disaster in that time (pretty extreme conditions in a tent not really up to them half way up The Ben, and a learning experience that mean even in the same situation it wouldn't happen again).
I use down bags mainly for the lower bulk.
Down is less effective compressed (i.e., underneath you lying on it) than hollow fibre, so a mat becomes more important with down, more so as it gets colder. This can offset the bulk advantages of down if you're not using a mat for basic comfort anyway, and if you're happy sleeping on hard ground with minimal padding then a synthetic can save you money and not really be any bulkier thanks to no or minimal mat underneath.

Liners: not necessary and they only add as much warmth as PJs made from the same stuff. The main point is to keep the bag clean. Especially on a tour, a bag is awkward to clean (near as dammit forget about cleaning a down one during a trip, and a synthetic will need a big drier and a lot of time) while a liner is relatively easy. PJs help keep a bag clean too, though feet, hands and head won't be covered, but unless you're routinely filthy you should be able to get through a tour with none of that being an issue. I use a liner, but a good silk one costs quite a bit and even the nice ones many find awkward and entangling anyway, so unless you already have one I'd be inclined to put your budget towards other things.

Mats: simplest are closed cell foam. They're relatively bulky and less cushioning, but they can't go wrong. Much discussion about merits of various quality levels when I was at Uni came out with a consensus that if it looks like you could easily bite the corner off it won't be very good. (Don't put that to the literal test in a shop...).
Self inflators you seem to get what you pay for, cheaper ones seeming to be rather less reliable. I'm still using a 26 year old Thermarest, back from when they were the only game in town. One leak from a fire spark (easily repaired) and aside from that as comfortable as the day I bought it.
Inflating mattresses can either be plain air beds (comfortable but little effective insulation, not such a problem if it's warm enough) to fancier ones with insulation properties (added down, hollow fibre or cellular construction). The latter are great (warm, comfortable, low-bulk and light weight) but you do pay for that.
For your job I'd be inclined to get a 2nd hand Thermarest from eBay (a quick look suggests a Trail-Lite model for under £30 is a definite possibility): not too bulky, very comfy, warm when needed, reliably tough).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...