Recommend me a head torch

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Recommend me a head torch

Post by mnichols »

Title says it all really

Want one for lots of different uses: riding my bike, walking the dog, camping, hiking, etc
Heltor Chasca

Re: Recommend me a head torch

Post by Heltor Chasca »

The little Alpkit one.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Although this head torch thread was started last November, it ran till a couple of months ago

viewtopic.php?p=1066172#p1066172
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I was just about to go out and test my newly acquired headtorch. It's new moon at present so pretty well as dark as it will get but recent nights have been frosty. I will cycle a few miles to a dark road and test out the different beam levels. I chose to get one because of a job in my loft but thought if it is powerful enough it could be carried for night time bike light backup and at low power for any tyre changes or mechanical issues in the dark. The model I ended off choosing on many parameters including price, was the coleman cxo 250. This has red light, green light, blue light( all at low lumens, about 4 iirc ), the red is great for my astronomy use. The light levels are 20,50,100,250 lumens respectively with combination of flood and spot. An initial test the full power( 3hrs on 3 AAA's ) seems to light to around 150ft away but I need to do an accurate test. It cost £20 but had been on offer at blacks for £15( sold out ). There is a more basic 200 lumen version with red light too as well. It starts up in red light mode for good reason and you cycle through modes.

Its to be used for a multitude of varying light level requirements and colour. Runs 3 AAA and have run it on 1.2v AAA rechargeables too.
Last edited by old_windbag on 20 Nov 2017, 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

thirdcrank wrote:Although this head torch thread was started last November, it ran till a couple of months ago

viewtopic.php?p=1066172#p1066172

Yep, that seems to cover it

Admin - feel free to delete or merge this thread
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Admin rather than delete the posts merge them to the end of the other thread. Some of us take the effort to help others and the information is relevant to others not just the op. Thats the point of a forum.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Just buy the most expensive one available irrespective of performance.
:roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
old_windbag

Re: Head torches

Post by old_windbag »

I was just about to go out and test my newly acquired headtorch. It's new moon at present so pretty well as dark as it will get but recent nights have been frosty. I will cycle a few miles to a dark road and test out the different beam levels. I chose to get one because of a job in my loft but thought if it is powerful enough it could be carried for night time bike light backup and at low power for any tyre changes or mechanical issues in the dark. The model I ended off choosing on many parameters including price, was the coleman cxo 250. This has red light, green light, blue light( all at low lumens, about 4 iirc ), the red is great for my astronomy use. The light levels are 20,50,100,250 lumens respectively with combination of flood and spot. An initial test the full power( 3hrs on 3 AAA's ) seems to light to around 150ft away but I need to do an accurate test. It cost £20 but had been on offer at blacks for £15( sold out ). There is a more basic 200 lumen version with red light too as well. It starts up in red light mode for good reason and you cycle through modes.

Its to be used for a multitude of varying light level requirements and colour. Runs 3 AAA and have run it on 1.2v AAA rechargeables too.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

old_windbag wrote:Admin rather than delete the posts merge them to the end of the other thread. Some of us take the effort to help others and the information is relevant to others not just the op. Thats the point of a forum.

Sorry, my apologies to anyone that took the time to respond. No offence meant
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Heltor Chasca wrote:The little Alpkit one.

I presume you mean the Muon? I had a look through the other thread and decided this would do perfectly for me, but it seems to be unavailable / discontinued. :(
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Exposure Link - it mounts on a cycle helmet and has many programmable modes in both directions.

It is USB rechargeable and also has a fuel gauge.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use a now discontinued Petzl

The thing that I loved was the choice of brightnesses, a red option and best of all a distance sensor

The idea was that if you look at a map or similar, then the light automatically dims and when you look back up it brightens

I believe that the current equivalent is the Reactik / Reactik+
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cunobelin wrote:The idea was that if you look at a map or similar, then the light automatically dims and when you look back up it brightens

I believe that the current equivalent is the Reactik / Reactik+

Several have this sort of feature now, coleman have the CXS series https://www.coleman.eu/uk/p-26645-cxs-200-led-head-torch.aspx. As long as you can inhibit the function manually for those times where you don't want the light dimming on proximity such as cycling through trees/foliage and similar. Thats thinking from a multi use aspect though. The one I got has red green and blue light. Now that may be gimmicky but I wanted the red, the green supposedly aids map reading at night( both to red+green retain night vision ).... the blue for hunters tracing the blood trail of a kill( what CSI cobblers :? ).

I looked at umpteen headtorches and their specs. One that looked interesting from price/performance aspect was the energizer series. The mid range one with dimming capability on each mode( plus it has red light at low power ) only cost £12 including the batteries.

http://www.wilko.com/torches/energizer-vision-hd-headlight-4-light-mode/invt/0440861

The only reason I did not go for this was that a little light leaks downward apparently( youtube reviewers ) and it benefits from a tiny bit of black tape to mask it, but wearing on a cap or helmet didn't require such.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

There's an Aldi 3W CREE LED head lamp on sale now. I'm tempted, as it will be brighter than the standard LED headlamps I have now. Does anyone know if these are of acceptable quality?
RickH

Post by RickH »

LollyKat wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:The little Alpkit one.

I presume you mean the Muon? I had a look through the other thread and decided this would do perfectly for me, but it seems to be unavailable / discontinued. :(

Current "little Alpkit one" is the Viper II. 160 lumens (with a 6 lumens red option). Takes 3AAA batteries (alkali or rechargeable). Reduced to £15 (from £19) at the moment.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.