What tent to use?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
jags

Re: What tent to use?

Post by jags »

first time i seen a Teepee was at a fellclub meet with bikepacker i though it was the bees knees. but i respect bikepackers advice when it comes to tents bit of an expert right enough but rather expensive taste :lol:
im always on the hunt for a good tent last one i bought was from a lad here on the forum (naturehike) to be honest its not all bad i made 2 extra guy out points on the flysheet much better job ,but yeah it's not my idea of a good tent .
i want room and loads of it, it freekes me out when the inner tent is touching my pretty face when im trying to sleep :roll: :roll:
guess i'll keep looking.
Last edited by Graham on 16 Feb 2017, 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rather
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have one of these in the 3 man size: https://www.campingandcaravandirect.co. ... 7Qodz6oKLQ

it was purchased from someone who needed the money. I think this 2 man version would be ideal for you. If you want a footprint the Vango Pulsar one can be adapted to fit with some shockcord. It is very similar in size to the Nallo 2GT and only about 1lb heavier.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

pjclinch wrote:
bikepacker wrote:I have tried 3 different types of Tepee style tents and decided they are definitely not for me.
<snip>
They are much colder than my other tents

For the fourth, maybe try one of the ones with a wood-burning stove! :wink:

Shan't be trying anymore.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well we're in need of a 3 man to replace a returned extended porch tunnel tent. We like that design but the light ones are out off our price range. So we're looking at teepees. Eureka Lone Tree 4 or luxe octapeak f8. The slope of the tent worries me because I'm 6'5" tall will the slope mean they're not big enough? Also small porch. We loved the closed up porch space to sit out poor weather in the extended tunnel tent.

So we're left with a 3.65kg tent at our price bracket or a take a chance on some other design (teepee or hybrid dome) and use a tarp somehow as an extended porch space.
jags

Post by jags »

bikepacker wrote:I have one of these in the 3 man size: https://www.campingandcaravandirect.co. ... 7Qodz6oKLQ

it was purchased from someone who needed the money. I think this 2 man version would be ideal for you. If you want a footprint the Vango Pulsar one can be adapted to fit with some shockcord. It is very similar in size to the Nallo 2GT and only about 1lb heavier.

great looking tent but it's not a million mile away from my mountain hardware tent and same weight.
need a light tent for this new bike.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The old adage that applies to many things also applies to camping gear, namely: There is lightweight, high quality and cheapness and you can perm any two from the three but you can't have all three together. :wink: :wink:
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

pjclinch wrote:
bikepacker wrote:I have tried 3 different types of Tepee style tents and decided they are definitely not for me.
<snip>
They are much colder than my other tents

For the fourth, maybe try one of the ones with a wood-burning stove! :wink:

I've got one of those, wonderful! But I'd need a second trailer to take it on tour (in addition to the one with the 12Kg Tentipi). Tempting though... :P
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

bikepacker wrote:The old adage that applies to many things also applies to camping gear, namely: There is lightweight, high quality and cheapness and you can perm any two from the three but you can't have all three together. :wink: :wink:

And even if you win the lottery and don't worry about cheap, your next insoluble triangle is strong, light, spacious
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
jags

Post by jags »

i'll buy a campervan f i do win the lottery throw the bike on the back. :lol:
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

jags wrote:i'll buy a campervan f i do win the lottery throw the bike on the back. :lol:

I'm taking a break this year from A-to-B cycle camping and taking my Camplet trailer tent to a central position to gain some of the Cycle Quest destinations, so hopefully I will relish the comfort even if I miss the total autonomy of self-sufficient, unsupported cycle camping!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

jags wrote:i'll buy a campervan f i do win the lottery throw the bike on the back. :lol:

I have had two campervans in the past and not got on with either, you spend more time driving around and not cycling. As a touring cyclist I get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment from getting to places under my own power and enjoying the surroundings at a sedate pace.

As for extra weight. I much prefer having equipment that is comfortable for my needs and although I am often looking a ways of lightening the load, it is never to the detriment of that comfort.