Woods - how much warmer if at all?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Woods - how much warmer if at all?

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:Yes, in such conditions i will be using a groundsheet, thermarest, goretex bivi, bag, silk liner, thermals, hat. Thermarest inside bivi - it's a largish ex army one.

dont forget the gloves? the bag is sleeping bag?

maybe a pkt of those chemical handwarmers just incase you get it wrong and it really cold?

yes, bag is sleeping bag. I never wear gloves when sleeping, no need. Won't be using artificial warmth - just body heat and insulation.

Lucky you, I generate good heat in the torso, but my hands and feet get cold. Warming sachets are good for emergency and can turn a sleepless night into a good sleep!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
khain

Post by khain »

The danger of a branch or tree falling on the tent is low but not negligible. I've had a few small ones fall on the tent over the years. We've had so many severe storms over the past few years that many trees have been badly damaged. In Scotland countless trees have been completely uprooted. In woods with solid ground and young healthy trees you should be fine but I never seem to find those when it's time to camp. It always seems to be ones with ancient rotting trees or commercial pine forests where the trees have shallow roots.

Bear in mind that even a small branch could wreck a tent. And it can be quite hard to sleep when the trees about you are creaking in the wind.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

khain wrote:The danger of a branch or tree falling on the tent is low but not negligible. I've had a few small ones fall on the tent over the years. We've had so many severe storms over the past few years that many trees have been badly damaged. In Scotland countless trees have been completely uprooted. In woods with solid ground and young healthy trees you should be fine but I never seem to find those when it's time to camp. It always seems to be ones with ancient rotting trees or commercial pine forests where the trees have shallow roots.

Bear in mind that even a small branch could wreck a tent. And it can be quite hard to sleep when the trees about you are creaking in the wind.

there was a case reported in the news up north when there were high winds - camper killed due to branch on tent?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:
Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
dont forget the gloves? the bag is sleeping bag?

maybe a pkt of those chemical handwarmers just incase you get it wrong and it really cold?

yes, bag is sleeping bag. I never wear gloves when sleeping, no need. Won't be using artificial warmth - just body heat and insulation.

Lucky you, I generate good heat in the torso, but my hands and feet get cold. Warming sachets are good for emergency and can turn a sleepless night into a good sleep!

Forgot to say re feet - I will be wearing a pair of "wooly" but synthetic socks - like last time.

I figure it aint so bad - it's not long since folk slept in houses with no central heating after all - in my living memory.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Yes but at home you could have as many blankets as you could afford :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

I used to go mountain biking every Monday night when I lived in England (Thetford Chase). In the autumn and winter it was very noticeable how much warmer it felt when we went into the woods and how cold the air felt when we left the cover of the trees. Not scientific, I know, but it was very noticeable.