Cracked Vango Tent Poles - suggested repair

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
corvus

Re: Cracked Vango Tent Poles - suggested repair

Post by corvus »

Sweep wrote:Mm, i'm not in the habit of taking a hair dryer camping, let alone a paint stripper.

where's your initiative? there's plenty of people with a special hair drier compartment in the hanging shelving system in a wing of their tent , they'd just love to lend theirs out and watch the fun. Or you could use one of those planet destroying hand driers in a loo if you could manoeuver the poles under it. Or a bbq.

More to the point, broken poles hold up fine IME, they're just a pain to use. The one I've just fixed suffered a terrible incompetexxx misfortune last summer but carried on regardless for some days of touring and high winds with one section split end to end, another almost as bad and most of the rest starting to split. It's fiddly to get all the fibres into place so the cord can run in its groove, but once the split end is stuffed into its mating ferrule its all good.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sweep wrote:Mm, i'm not in the habit of taking a hair dryer camping, let alone a paint stripper.
But I expect you have a stove and a means of lighting it. These will do quite adequately for shrinking heatshrink with care, if a little scruffy in finish. I do not think that heatshrink would hold up very long (depending on the crack), so would be suitable only for a very temporary fix.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I'm just bumping this as I've found two splits in one of my Vaude Taurus UL poles.

The OP suggested this stuff . Has anyone else used it, is it robust enough to make an effective repair?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEXIBLE-NYL ... Q4IxdOVtzA

pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If you've got a cracked pole you've found at home base, replace the pole (or at least the cracked section).

For a field repair, anything goes, but a sleeve you can slide over the pole and is long enough to support on both sides of the joint (because poles almost always go at the joins) is the usual way of doing it.

I can't really see a plastic tube doing much to stop the rot on a long term basis. The nature of the join will tend to lever the crack open: once it's started at all it really needs replacing.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
ossie

Post by ossie »

pjclinch wrote:If you've got a cracked pole you've found at home base, replace the pole (or at least the cracked section).

For a field repair, anything goes, but a sleeve you can slide over the pole and is long enough to support on both sides of the joint (because poles almost always go at the joins) is the usual way of doing it.

I can't really see a plastic tube doing much to stop the rot on a long term basis. The nature of the join will tend to lever the crack open: once it's started at all it really needs replacing.

Pete.

The issue I have is that one of the split poles is shaped (the one in the pic). Vaude do replacement sections online for £6.50 but they're all straight.

I've dropped them an e mail.

I guess the obvious repair if these shaped sections are unavailable is to cut a sleeve down and superglue/ fix it onto the split end. Both splits are on the female end of the sections as expected.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

ossie wrote:The issue I have is that one of the split poles is shaped (the one in the pic). Vaude do replacement sections online for £6.50 but they're all straight.

IME pole sections that start straight acquire a bit of a bend with time just by using them. As long as it's not a dramatic curve my guess is it'll be okay. But they're the folk to give you a definitive answer so your plan of an email is a good one.

ossie wrote:
I guess the obvious repair if these shaped sections are unavailable is to cut a sleeve down and superglue/ fix it onto the split end. Both splits are on the female end of the sections as expected.

Rather than generic super glue I'd go for a twin component epoxy (Araldite or similar) which is much stronger. Not great for a field repair as it takes about a day to get to full strength, but not a problem at home.

Pete.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

My Vango poles have been fine for a lot of years but one of my Outwell poles split first time on testing out in the garden. :( . The shop changed it no bother.
Since a couple more have started splitting but have held up using "gaffa" tape. The tent is about 15 years old as is the Vango.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

cycleruk wrote:My Vango poles have been fine for a lot of years but one of my Outwell poles split first time on testing out in the garden. :( . The shop changed it no bother.
Since a couple more have started splitting but have held up using "gaffa" tape. The tent is about 15 years old as is the Vango.

How well a pole will hold up after an initial crack will be significantly affected by if it's under tension in a curve. Something in a fairly tight arch (e.g., a small tunnel tent) will go from bad to worse much quicker than something that's otherwise equal and loaded in a fairly straight line. It'll also depend on the nature of the pole, with a fibreglass one typically solid and having more to go before a failure, while an alloy pole is hollow and a crack badly compromises the whole thing.

Pete.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Vaude provide a good range of spare parts for tents so you should get good response from them. This https://help.vaude.com/rep-15-replacing ... t/?lang=en is as good as I’ve seen.

I have a Vaude Taurus UL, few years old now, but still doing well and an excellent cycle touring tent for 2 and, at 1.9 kg, ok for one. I’m pondering whether to take this on a climbing trip to the Andes next month although it may lose out to a smaller tent primarily because of the warmth factor on those cold nights.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
hamster

Post by hamster »

If you are trying to do a permanent repair at home, then I have wrapped the end in fibreglass. I've used woven glass as I have some from my boat.
Any thread that's strong in tension will do - nylon or polyester buttonhole thread is just as good. Cover the end in araldite, then wind the thread round tightly and knot it. Go as far as the end of the crack and then another centimetre.
ossie

Post by ossie »

pjclinch wrote:
ossie wrote:The issue I have is that one of the split poles is shaped (the one in the pic). Vaude do replacement sections online for £6.50 but they're all straight.

IME pole sections that start straight acquire a bit of a bend with time just by using them. As long as it's not a dramatic curve my guess is it'll be okay. But they're the folk to give you a definitive answer so your plan of an email is a good one.

Pete.

Cheers Pete, it looks like you nailed it so many thanks.

Reply from Vaude

The pre-curved sections are formed at the time of manufacture, once the pole is constructed and so, unfortunately, it is not possible to source these as spares, sorry. However, replacing this with a straight section will not be detrimental to the integrity or performance of the tent and you will likely find that it will also take on a natural curvature, once the tent is put to use again.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ossie wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

Cheers Pete, it looks like you nailed it so many thanks.

Reply from Vaude

The pre-curved sections are formed at the time of manufacture, once the pole is constructed and so, unfortunately, it is not possible to source these as spares, sorry. However, replacing this with a straight section will not be detrimental to the integrity or performance of the tent and you will likely find that it will also take on a natural curvature, once the tent is put to use again.

Are we talking a just ever so slightly curved longish section of pole here or one of those short "gothic arch" bits which you get some modern tents?
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ossie wrote:I'm just bumping this as I've found two splits in one of my Vaude Taurus UL poles.

After a decade of abuse I had a similar issue on two sections of the transverse pole on my UL - instead of trying to bodge it I spent about £40 on a repair by some chaps in Suffolk which included replacing the bungee. Life's too short to bugger around trying to fix broke stuff :wink:

If I remember correctly, all the segments started straight but took on a curve with use.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Sweep wrote:
Are we talking a just ever so slightly curved longish section of pole here or one of those short "gothic arch" bits which you get some modern tents?

There are two slightly curved poles at the top of the curvature on the transverse section. If you look at the pic its that left to right pole The individual pole lengths are 41 cm. Without doubt the pre manufactured curves assist in obtaining that tight arch and its at the top of the arch where the splits have occurred so I guess thats where the stresses are at their highest. Vaude are saying to replace those with straight sections as they don't stuck curved. Would that not put that area under greater stress ?

In this pitching video you can see the curves in the transverse pole at 0.32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWfqv_wAKs

Here is an official video of the Taurus (non UL) from 2019 - you can clearly see the curved sections at 0.32 yet Vaude say these sections are unavailable ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3G1CjmQWmM

I think I'll just use an 11 mm Alu sleeve cut to size and Araldite them over the split ends. Also I'm possibly over thinking this looking at some of the other advice as to how people have repaired their poles :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ah ok - if it was one of those short "gothic arch" bits I may have had a solution.
Sweep