Camping on Eurovelo 15.....Rhine routeway

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Digby1958

Camping on Eurovelo 15.....Rhine routeway

Post by Digby1958 »

Hi. We are planning to cycle from Basle to Hook of Holland along route 15. Do people know if there is a good suppy of campsites along the route? Thanks.
psmiffy

Re: Camping on Eurovelo 15.....Rhine routeway

Post by psmiffy »

Plentiful in areas - sufficient for the most part - I did it September '16 - only part I had difficulty was in the Worms area - these are my stops

Hellevoetsluis Strand camp
Biesbosch camp
Biesbosch camp
Biesbosch camp
Haaften camp
Valburg camp
Wissal camp
Nierdercamp camp
Bissingham camp
Urdenbach camp
Koln camp
Koln camp
koln camp
Remagen camp
koblenz camp
Brecharach camp
Wiesbaden camp
8km S of worms wild
5km N of Spyre camp
Lauterbourg camp
Lauterbourg camp
Lauterbourg camp
Gambsheim camp
Erstein camp
Neuf-Bisach camp
Huningue (Basle) camp
Huningue (Basle) camp
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've done most of it a couple of times now heading upstream.
Campsites can normally be found 40-50 miles apart bar the Worms area.
Digby1958

Post by Digby1958 »

Thanks both. Can you give me your general impressions of the route. We are a bit torn between following a recognised route or making up our own one.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The 'official' route can be a bit boring in places - consider at least a few side trips or you'll miss some great stuff.

Have to say I didn't think Worms was any worse for camping than anywhere else but use that to advantage, rest your bods for a couple of nights in a B&B or hotel! (when I passed through it was mid day as I was heading from the airport to the Pfalz at the time.)

You might find it a good idea to at least make a nominal booking at campsites along the busiest stretches and plan to arrive before 6. Some sites get very full and you might not get a pitch, Schaffhausen is susceptible to this and also those sites on the west side of Bodensee. There are often alternatives away from the EV route - another reason to not slavishly follow the route.

Enjoy your trip
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

We're (missus and two kids & me) doing this route from Mainz to the Hook and then onto Amsterdam following the International Tandem Rally in Germany this coming summer. Following another discussion here I've just obtained 1:50000 Fietskaart Falk maps for the dutch part of the route, they are absoloutly superb and show loads of campsites along the route.
Digby1958

Post by Digby1958 »

Thanks all.
embee

Post by embee »

Cycled upstream/south 3 years ago. No internet access to help in search for caming facilities.

Was directed to WSV Worms, http://www.wsv-worms.de the canoe/rowing and boating club in the port area. Stayed several days, no disturbance from nearby small port or river traffic, passing 24 hours a day. All facilities available to me, including restaurant. Deposit required for key to showers, staff very helpful. Very close to town centre for food supplies and The town was also very important because of Martin Luther who defended his case against the emperor Charles V in Worms.

Understand other rowing clubs on Rhine offer camping facilities for travellers, by bike or on water.

When you get to Hook of Holland, don't forget to vist the Eurovelo fingerpost situated on the beach. Approach the Atlantic Wall Museum from the east, turn right and next left. Then head northwest for about 800+m. Can be viewed on Googlestreet

Hope this is of help.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

embee wrote:Cycled upstream/south 3 years ago. No internet access to help in search for caming facilities.

Was directed to WSV Worms, http://www.wsv-worms.de the canoe/rowing and boating club in the port area. Stayed several days, no disturbance from nearby small port or river traffic, passing 24 hours a day. All facilities available to me, including restaurant. Deposit required for key to showers, staff very helpful. Very close to town centre for food supplies and The town was also very important because of Martin Luther who defended his case against the emperor Charles V in Worms.

Understand other rowing clubs on Rhine offer camping facilities for travellers, by bike or on water.

When you get to Hook of Holland, don't forget to vist the Eurovelo fingerpost situated on the beach. Approach the Atlantic Wall Museum from the east, turn right and next left. Then head northwest for about 800+m. Can be viewed on Googlestreet

Hope this is of help.

I've used Kanu club campsites several times on other rivers - as you say cheap and whilst not all have brilliant facilities they are fine for an overnight.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

I did EV15 about 18 months ago before continuing up EV6.

Would recommend archiescamping http://www.archiescampings.eu/

They do an app as well. The only place I struggled was around Mannheim but that was down to bad planning. As a result stayed in a lovely hotel in Ludwigshafen. There is plenty of cheap accommodation available should you struggle to find a camp site or just want a break, many bars have rooms.

Be prepared, the actual scenic part of the Rhine is extremely short..100 miles or so. There are long stretches of heavy industry and long stretches of nothing much at all but it all adds to the rich tapestry and heritage of the route.
johntherhino

Post by johntherhino »

COVID restrictions allowing, cycling from Hook of Holland to Berlin in July.
Looking to do the E15 from Hook of Holland to Arnhem and then following the E2 to Berlin.
Camping for the most part.
Any tips?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We did EV15 S to N in 2019. Great apart from the heat. No negative surprises.

Fort WKU was good.
https://www.fortwku.nl

Thanks for finding the thread and adding to it. : - )

But there must be another one with our and other's experiences... here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142347&p=1550829

Jonathan

PS: And I hope this works out... I can't make out what EV2 is like and would be interested in your conclusions.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I did EV15 from near Basel downstream into NL (where I headed North and all over the place).

I find German campsites not great and many seem static chalets/plots. In one place there were 3 camp sites and I visited them all before finding one that had catered for tents (there was another possibility but residents said reception closed for hours more). But always found somewhere though NL/France much better camp sites.

I was going downstream and round Worms camped at Altrip south of Mannheim (good pizza place a few miles walk if you can find it), then past Worms to camp at Wattenheim/Biblis (more a holiday camp than camp site) - 43 miles pretty flat.

Ian
Edit: Probably answering the very old OP rather than the later route to Berlin (sorry)