Bivvy Bag & Tarp recommendations, please

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Tangled Metal

Re: Bivvy Bag & Tarp recommendations, please

Post by Tangled Metal »

There are many ways to pitch but i keep coming back to a cave type of pitch. 3 sides to the ground. If wind changes direction it's a 2 minute job to change the pitch round.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Firepanda

Post by Firepanda »

Do you think you could get a bike in there without taking the wheels off? Can't really gauge how tall it is from the pics.

The specs of the tent say it's 274 x 157 cm (L x W), is that once it's erected? If so do you have the dimensions of it when it's not put up?

Is the tarp square shape when flat or is it more fancy for the zips?

Is the quality good? I'm new to tarp/tent material, I read its 40D sil nylon - is that top end material for a tarp? I also read 1800mm (which I think relates to the HH) which seems quite low isn't it for a waterproof shelter?

Do you think the zips may fail? Did it come with everything like guylines and pegs, or is it literally just the tarp?

Thanks!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Firepanda wrote:

Do you think you could get a bike in there without taking the wheels off? Can't really gauge how tall it is from the pics.

The specs of the tent say it's 274 x 157 cm (L x W), is that once it's erected? If so do you have the dimensions of it when it's not put up?

Is the tarp square shape when flat or is it more fancy for the zips?

Is the quality good? I'm new to tarp/tent material, I read its 40D sil nylon - is that top end material for a tarp? I also read 1800mm (which I think relates to the HH) which seems quite low isn't it for a waterproof shelter?

Do you think the zips may fail? Did it come with everything like guylines and pegs, or is it literally just the tarp?

Thanks!

re waterproofness.

a well known alternative is 2000mm . does 200mm make any difference. internal seams are heavily sealed.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE101.html

all pegs and guy ropes supplied. the guys that secure the poles permanently tied to tent and are stored in little pockets at the apex. the pegs are alloy. the poles I used were 125cm so that is how tall it is

doubt can get a bike in due to the poles but plenty space for 2 tall people and gear - not as an A tent anyway

i'll comment further later on if i have time

I only want it for light use, mainly stop any wind cooling my bivvy bag down and any light rain dampening things. I have no desire to be out in a deluge or a wind storm. I realy wanted it for some thing like the York event where you can hide all your gear away from prying eyes . what liked was the fringes that could cut out draughts that a proper tent would avoid due to a sealed inner,

I haven't explored other configs - it don't have the many lifters or tags that the alternative above has,

I wouldnt pay more than what I paid
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Are we not reaching the point when many of these more hi tech tarpaulin are really simple tents? Built in ends and wind/storm flaps and lots of loops to mount mean that the only thing missing is a pole. Not to mention costs Surely the whole point is weight saving and simplicity yet by the time you add a bivi bag the wight and prices match a tent. My full Goretex bivvi bag isn't very compact. Virtually identical to a pint pot but thats all I need. Chuck in the tarpaulin that a mates insists is the dog whatzit and my one man tent is less hassle.
I am not suggestion that any of the options are not without value but at times it pays to step back and assess real needs before buying the latest fad.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mattsccm wrote:Are we not reaching the point when many of these more hi tech tarpaulin are really simple tents? Built in ends and wind/storm flaps and lots of loops to mount mean that the only thing missing is a pole. Not to mention costs Surely the whole point is weight saving and simplicity yet by the time you add a bivi bag the wight and prices match a tent. My full Goretex bivvi bag isn't very compact. Virtually identical to a pint pot but thats all I need. Chuck in the tarpaulin that a mates insists is the dog whatzit and my one man tent is less hassle.
I am not suggestion that any of the options are not without value but at times it pays to step back and assess real needs before buying the latest fad.

maybe true but I dont want a tarp where you have to grovel on the ground and slide into it -too old and stiff for that. I have found one way to cut down weight is to do away with the sleeping bag and use my ex army softie trousers and jacket and maybe use a very light alpkit elephants foot, in a bivy bag - other wise I would be looking at a very large & heavy ( or very expensive ) sleeping bag. The jacket serves a dual purpose. One of the best things I have bought for cycling as the xxl one is great , wind proof and and warm
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

foxyrider wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I got a BPL "duo tarp" (10x8) that is probably too big for the single user, but as they say "better safe than sorry". Is good to be able to cover both the bike and yourself :D and is light too. Bought it as "seconds" but does not have any fault 8)

Not a big fan of bivy bags, but I have the SOL Lite as emergency, and have to say that works well. It really does reflect some of the body heat, which can turn a sleepless night into a good rest, and the condensation is minimal. The drawback is that won't leave much room if you're over 6ft or 13st.

Why 13st? 6ft I can see but as someone usually hovering around 13.5st I can't see any issues there. I won't say i'm thin but nor am I rotund!

The SOL is labeled as "emergency bivy", but if used wisely and carefully would last some good time.
I am 5ft 9 and 12st and I fit ok inside it, but without the sleeping pad. Yes, it is quite narrow, and being so light it means that the material isn't super strong either, so a big body (no offence) would have difficult in moving thus pulling on the seams and the fabric.
Perhaps it was designed for marathon/ultra long distance runners, so they would be quite thin bodies. They should have done an "xl" size, to make everyone happy
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

whoof wrote:I use something very similar to this between two tree with 6 pegs and some paracord.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-Tarp- ... Swt5hYY7er

Less than 500 grams.

Fairly small size, and you can make your own tarp for very little money and with good results, quality materials can be bought in a few places.
Personally, I find a length of 210cm and a width of 150cm barely enough to cover one person. I'd rather carry a hundred grams more and get better coverage, although a small tarp is still better than nothing!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...