Bivvy Bag & Tarp recommendations, please

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
whoof

Re: Bivvy Bag & Tarp recommendations, please

Post by whoof »

Does anyone know of a bivvy bag that would be wind/show proof instead of water proof and with better breathability than a waterproof bivvy?

The rationale being that I currently use a sleeping bag and tarp but thought that a light breathable bivvy would add some extra warmth. I know I could buy a thicker sleeping bag or sleep in my clothes but as with clothing I would prefer a layered approach so I could use the following:
Light sleeping bag: one season*
Light bag + bivvy: two season
Heavier sleeping bag: three season
Heavier bag + bivvy: four season

*I know the season system doesn't mean a great deal and I'm not planning to go bivvy all year around this is just giving you an idea of what I'm looking for.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

whoof: On balmy and damp evenings in the SW I have used the Alpkit and I was impressed at how little condensation there was. I run hot too. My bivi bag is still about a year old and clean so it still works well. Like all breathable materials they degrade in time. Water will come in and perspiration won't escape.

But for the price they go for I'll get a valuable term of service. I also plan to use mine more this year. I'm bored of camping in woods and aim to spend more time on heaths and moors. Starscape rather than leafscape.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Heltor Chasca wrote:whoof: On balmy and damp evenings in the SW I have used the Alpkit and I was impressed at how little condensation there was. I run hot too. My bivi bag is still about a year old and clean so it still works well. Like all breathable materials they degrade in time. Water will come in and perspiration won't escape.

But for the price they go for I'll get a valuable term of service. I also plan to use mine more this year. I'm bored of camping in woods and aim to spend more time on heaths and moors. Starscape rather than leafscape.

yes I am thinking of by the seasisde on sandy heath type beaches
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

whoof wrote:Does anyone know of a bivvy bag that would be wind/show proof instead of water proof and with better breathability than a waterproof bivvy?

The rationale being that I currently use a sleeping bag and tarp but thought that a light breathable bivvy would add some extra warmth. I know I could buy a thicker sleeping bag or sleep in my clothes but as with clothing I would prefer a layered approach so I could use the following:

*I know the season system doesn't mean a great deal and I'm not planning to go bivvy all year around this is just giving you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thermartex blanket http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/categ ... XA107.html
Stitch some velcro or fit poppers down the sides to give the versatility of using as a blanket or as a sleeping bag cover.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

mercalia wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:whoof: On balmy and damp evenings in the SW I have used the Alpkit and I was impressed at how little condensation there was. I run hot too. My bivi bag is still about a year old and clean so it still works well. Like all breathable materials they degrade in time. Water will come in and perspiration won't escape.

yes I am thinking of by the seasisde on sandy heath type beaches

[emoji23]4 months spent in the sandy SW of France ruined the zip on my sleeping bag. Had to chuck it. One of those annoying 'cheaper to buy another rather than mend it' scenario. Sand is comfy to sleep on but destroys everything. Wild camping on the beaches in France was a mission due to the efficiency of the Gendarmerie.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

whoof wrote:Does anyone know of a bivvy bag that would be wind/show proof instead of water proof and with better breathability than a waterproof bivvy?

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30
This is good apparently.
mercalia

Re: Kelty Range Camping Tarp

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:any one heard of this tarp -

Kelty Range Camping Tarp

seems to be discontinued but selling on ebay at a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kelty-Range-Camping-Tarp-excludes-poles-860-40815714-/152416112709?hash=item237cb55045:g:4kIAAOSwWTRWza~O

on amazon much more expensive -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kelty-Range-Tarp-Size-Green/dp/B00G6KUUSU

found a video

[youtube]vLprJy8kxMw[/youtube]

mine arrived to day seems well made. now I will have to find out the find out the optimum pole length and cut down some allow tubing I have
whoof

Post by whoof »

rualexander wrote:

Thermartex blanket http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/categ ... XA107.html
Stitch some velcro or fit poppers down the sides to give the versatility of using as a blanket or as a sleeping bag cover.

Thanks that looks like it might do the trick.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Tangled Metal wrote:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=30
This is good apparently.

Thanks for the link. I had seen that but could only find it in the US.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

They're a good company to deal with and are used to sending to the UK. They'll make any purchase easy enough. Put it this way their Trailstar is a popular shelter in the UK for ul backpackers so plenty of UK customers over the years.

TBH i think the best ul kit is from America.
mercalia

Re: Kelty Range Camping Tarp

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:
mercalia wrote:any one heard of this tarp -

Kelty Range Camping Tarp

seems to be discontinued but selling on ebay at a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kelty-Range-Camping-Tarp-excludes-poles-860-40815714-/152416112709?hash=item237cb55045:g:4kIAAOSwWTRWza~O

on amazon much more expensive -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kelty-Range-Tarp-Size-Green/dp/B00G6KUUSU

found a video

[youtube]vLprJy8kxMw[/youtube]

mine arrived to day seems well made. now I will have to find out the find out the optimum pole length and cut down some allow tubing I have

one of the nice things has storm cuffs or what ever you call them to stop draughts coming in on sides ( it dont have a ground sheet) just put some stones on them to seal to the ground?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Heltor Chasca wrote:[emoji23]4 months spent in the sandy SW of France ruined the zip on my sleeping bag. Had to chuck it. One of those annoying 'cheaper to buy another rather than mend it' scenario. Sand is comfy to sleep on but destroys everything.

Old toothbrushes are good to brush zips for sand, on tents as well as sleeping bags.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Think carefully about potential bivi bag uses. IMHO something like a Hunka is more of a sleeping bag cover than a bivi bag. You can't seal yourself inside which is nice in cold or wet conditions. The older style full Goretex ones worked well in this respect. Mine has a horizontal zip a foot from the top with an overlapping flap. Zipping yourself in can be a bit claustrophobic but it works.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's why you use a tarp. The right tarp and you could eliminate the bivvy bag. BTW if you're bothered by not being sealed in then sleep with the hunka style bivvy upside down. The longer base then covers you. Works if you have a groundsheet. But the benefit is not being sealed in. Closing up doesn't give much scope to vent respiration I reckon.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes bivvy bag and tarp - best idea. I dont fancy sleeping thru a rain shower then have to get out and get soaked :? bivvy on their own only good for summer sun days?

but tarp needs to hug the ground so cold air cant blow in? The The tarp - tent I got has storm flaps. ideally also closed at one end?