Gas cooking on a Trangia - views?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
leftpoole

Re: Gas cooking on a Trangia - views?

Post by leftpoole »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I have a Trangia 25-6 and have run it on butane/propane gas with Trangia's OE gas burner since day one. It has been brilliant. Far better than using meths or such similar taking an age to boil water and cook food.

Of course it works!
it is like buying a petrol fuelled car and running it on Calor Gas. It works but it is not what it was intended to run on.
Time cooking? I personally find meths a good fuel and the speed is excellent in my opinion.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Got a go systems adapt gas stove at the weekend for those moments where you just want your Trangia to boil water quickly and can't wait for meths burner.

Trangia designed and made gas conversion units. If it's ok for them then why the animosity towards the idea? Just make your own choice but there's no reason to criticise others who don't hold with the meths burner puritanical approach to Trangia stoves.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

leftpoole wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:I have a Trangia 25-6 and have run it on butane/propane gas with Trangia's OE gas burner since day one. It has been brilliant. Far better than using meths or such similar taking an age to boil water and cook food.

Of course it works!
it is like buying a petrol fuelled car and running it on Calor Gas. It works but it is not what it was intended to run on.
Time cooking? I personally find meths a good fuel and the speed is excellent in my opinion.
John

I can boil a kettle on gas in the time it takes me to get a meths stove close to being useful.

Yes meths is a good fuel - for Mamod steam engines!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Meths is generally okay, and speed is more often about management than raw power (and of course with a Trangia, be it gas or meths, you can leave it to its own devices while you do something else).

The only time when I've really regretted running on meths was when I needed the stove for snow melting for water (it wasn't somewhere you'd generally take a bike, mind). Slower than a very slow thing filmed in extra-slow motion while wining a slowness contest.

But the main reason I prefer gas to meths is it's more controllable and less fiddly, and doesn't involve pouring smelly, unpleasant fuel.

More like buying a steam powered tractor and changing the power unit for a modern diesel, which gives you more power and less faffing. But while being a much more effective working tractor, it wouldn't win you a prize at a steam traction fayre or give you a sense of traditional pride.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:Yes I do mean the tall thin sort - hence the need for an adaptor to get them to feed the Go Systems/Trangia gas unit's screw fitting. Can't see anyone mounting anythung on top of those or even getting them to stand - they are meant for packaged grill units I think.

There are two kinds of tall thin canister.

The other tall thin sort of canister has a standard screw-on fitting, and is aimed at gas-powered blowtorches etc.

The cheap long thin canisters used in portable domestic twin hob style stoves do need an adapter. The fitting looks much like an aerosol or WD40 can with the nozzle pulled off. These have an intake tube sprung to touch the side of the canister, and must normally be used with the canister horizontal and with the tube touching the top side of the canister. Some adapters make it obvious which way up the canister should be, but some don't, and if you get it wrong, you'll get a big flare. Remote canisters with preheat also need to be started with the canister the correct way up.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

pjclinch wrote:
The only time when I've really regretted running on meths was when I needed the stove for snow melting for water (it wasn't somewhere you'd generally take a bike, mind). Slower than a very slow thing filmed in extra-slow motion while wining a slowness contest.

At the risk of thread creep, this was something I've always had against meths burning Trangias. However on a recent trip to Sweden, with temperatures around -12C, we used a Trangia for melting snow and it was surprisingly effective and much faster than expected. However, we did have a piece of wood to insulate the windshields from the snow. Without the wood, the windshields would sink into the snow.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I recently bought the Go System gas burner for Trangia on account of reading reports that it works better than the Trangia gas burner in respect of the pre-heating loop being closer to the flame. I haven't used it "in the field" yet but I have tried it out in the back garden (gas and liquid fed) and all seems good. Personally, I rate the Trangia system highly both with the meths burner and the gas burner. They are very much different beasts but with some common features that make the system good - particularly it is a stable, efficient system with good performance in wind and with the pots that you need to cook proper food with (and it all nests together beautifully). Gas gives control, speed and better low temperature performance but the fuel is costly, bulky and [arguably] harder to manage logistically*. Meths is cheap and [arguably] logistically easier to manage*; it allows you to take your time and get on with other stuff whilst leaving the stove to work in the background.

* in respect of taking what you need/refilling containers/dealing with partially used canisters.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)