Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Gas cooking on a Trangia - views?

Post by Sweep »

s[/l
leftpoole wrote:I use Trangia myself.
All the best,
John

Not over surprised since it is clear from your earlier comment that you have never used a gas stove with any sort of wind/light breeze even.

Tangled metal, i did come across what looked like the £30 trangia compatible gas burner available on ebay for less than a tenner from china, but have played safe and just ordered the "original" from a uk seller. About £22 i seem to remember. Trangia are certainly going to have trouble selling their £60 jobbie.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

leftpoole wrote:Hello,
Whilst I see that some people prefer to run on Gas, I see a Trangia as what it was originally intended to be. That is, a Methylated spirit all complete stove. The fact that a Gas kit is available is not the point as (in my opinion) the manufacturer is simply trying for extra custom hence selling the kit for Gas. Maybe a Petrol option soon :D ?
I use Trangia myself.
All the best,
John

Don't forget the multi-fuel burner too.

http://trangia.se/en/burners-and-burner-accessories/
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I like the gas burner for Trangia. It does a good job of boiling and simmering and works well with the frying pan too.

The biggest problem is the burner has a really poor preheat tube which means you can't use it with the canister inverted as it flares up too much. So no liquid feed in cold temperatures, and you can't turn the can upside down when it's getting empty to get the last bits out.

I found that the price of a new Trangia with gas burner wasn't much more expensive than the burner itself, and you'll get a spare set of pans.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

bohrsatom wrote:
The biggest problem is the burner has a really poor preheat tube which means you can't use it with the canister inverted as it flares up too much.

Never really found that issue with ours... We've not tried to use it that way in proper cold, but otherwise it seems to do that okay.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pjclinch wrote:
bohrsatom wrote:
The biggest problem is the burner has a really poor preheat tube which means you can't use it with the canister inverted as it flares up too much.

Never really found that issue with ours... We've not tried to use it that way in proper cold, but otherwise it seems to do that okay.

Thanks for the encouragement pj, for that is one reason i bought it* and was also planning to also sometimesvuse the tall canisters with an adaptor which of course have to be partially inverted anyway.

Curious that bohr has had different experiences though.

* i bought the go system version.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mine's the Primus one. I've had it for, errrrr, <mumble> years... must date from around the turn of the century or so. I guess it's possible it's been "improved" if mine's older, or maybe even actually improved if it's younger.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

bohrsatom wrote:The biggest problem is the burner has a really poor preheat tube which means you can't use it with the canister inverted as it flares up too much.

You are aware that you've got to run it with the canister upright for long enough to get the preheat tube hot before you turn the canister upside down?

From memory, the Trangia burner has quite a chunky preheat tube, so this may take longer than it would with a lightweight remote burner stove.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Sweep wrote:use the tall canisters with an adaptor which of course have to be partially inverted anyway.

Why do the tall canisters have to be partially inverted?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

andrew_s wrote:
bohrsatom wrote:The biggest problem is the burner has a really poor preheat tube which means you can't use it with the canister inverted as it flares up too much.

You are aware that you've got to run it with the canister upright for long enough to get the preheat tube hot before you turn the canister upside down?

From memory, the Trangia burner has quite a chunky preheat tube, so this may take longer than it would with a lightweight remote burner stove.

Yes - my other stove is a Primus express spider, also with a preheat tube so I have plenty of experience using one. With the Trangia, immediately after turning over the canister the burner coughs and splutters with the flame coming around the side of the pan.

PJ/Sweep - mine is less than a year old so perhaps this is a regression in newer models. I'm not the only person with this problem, see this thread:

The pre-heating isn't fully enough for prolonged liquid feed + the system resonate and gives pulsing flares (though the frequency seems different for different stoves and different occasions). There needs to be a flow-back restrictor in the system (which there isn't any) to 'mute' the resonation

Comparing my two burners, the preheat tube of the spider goes over a large part of the burner, whereas the Trangia one barely covers it:

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

psmiffy wrote:
Sweep wrote:use the tall canisters with an adaptor which of course have to be partially inverted anyway.

B
Why do the tall canisters have to be partially inverted?

Have only just bought the trangia gas burner (go system), not yet got the adaptor or any tall bottles - i just assumed that they would because of restricted length of the gas tube, and being hard to stand up anyway. If they can be stood up and used that way i stand corrected. But isn't it awkward?
Sweep
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Sweep wrote:Have only just bought the trangia gas burner (go system), not yet got the adaptor or any tall bottles - i just assumed that they would because of restricted length of the gas tube, and being hard to stand up anyway. If they can be stood up and used that way i stand corrected. But isn't it awkward?

No :)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

psmiffy wrote:
Sweep wrote:Have only just bought the trangia gas burner (go system), not yet got the adaptor or any tall bottles - i just assumed that they would because of restricted length of the gas tube, and being hard to stand up anyway. If they can be stood up and used that way i stand corrected. But isn't it awkward?

No :)

Will experiment when i have the bits in front of me, but still a tad puzzled. Doesn't the small base of the tall canisters make standing them vertically on grass somewhat hard? And not worth bothering to try as long as you have a preheat tube?
Sweep
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I think we are at cross purposes - do you mean the tall thin sort - in which case - not a chance
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes I do mean the tall thin sort - hence the need for an adaptor to get them to feed the Go Systems/Trangia gas unit's screw fitting. Can't see anyone mounting anythung on top of those or even getting them to stand - they are meant for packaged grill units I think.
Sweep
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I have a Trangia 25-6 and have run it on butane/propane gas with Trangia's OE gas burner since day one. It has been brilliant. Far better than using meths or such similar taking an age to boil water and cook food.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.