Woodburning Stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Woodburning Stoves

Post by Gattonero »

If those people are lacking of common sense in preparing a spot to light up a fire, I don't even want to think how their tent/tarp is going to be pitched. Oh, man... :roll:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Blag

Post by Blag »

Have a look at the ikea hobo stoves I've made a couple they work great
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

I've used a Honey Stove for years and yep, bit fiddly to put together plus it can be a bit smokey. If I'm at a base or canoeing I love my Kelly Kettle but recently my Wild Stove Woodgas stove has been working well.
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

On offer at the moment, I think I'll pull the trigger. I consider those things like assets, they're not toys and one can expect a good lifespan an many happy moments out of those £25 8)
I've only seen good reviews from them
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Was that wild stoves model a budget or mrk IIt made a bit too tall? Both are £25. Former half price the other is at that price at rrp for some reason. Curious as to know why BBC the budget is half the rrp of the mkII model at full price.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

mine is the Wild Woodgas Stove – Genuine MKIIt – [Tall], very lightweight & no fuel to carry. I do take some cut up inner tubes to use as firelighters...

http://www.ragsto.com/shop/bikepacking-luggage/
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I use the medium-sized Kelly Kettle, stainless steel version, on long, multi-month tours. It's one of my favourite pieces of kit, especially when the meths runs out and I don't need to hunt for a shop that sells it. It's heavy and bulky, probably too much for lightweight tourists. On shorter trips of a week or two I leave the kettle part and most of the accessories at home.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

I did the Lon Las Cymru from the top of the Anglesey coast down to Cardiff this weekend. Three days of cycling and didn't need to take any fuel because I used a Wild Stoves Woodgas stove which uses a handful of twigs to boil my water, it is also raised off the ground, slightly higher than the Honey Stove, but because it burns in a very different way it doesn't leave a mark & all that is left is a small amount of ash. I sometimes add a lightweight ally foldable mat underneath if the ground is grass or similar or if there isnt a handy brick available!.
The comment about damaging National Parks, our ecological systems and leaving an impact is a very good point. Leaving no trace should be a priority for life in general but, for me when cycle camping it is my primary focus. I wild camped one night and used campsites for two and no-one would ever know I had spent the night there.
I wish that we would all focus on reducing our footprint, which includes waste production as well as our consumption.

All my bikepacking luggage here is made by me fromrecyled materials such as inner tubes or vinyl banners.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

neilwragg wrote:I sometimes add a lightweight ally foldable mat underneath if the ground is grass or similar or if there isnt a handy brick available!.

Have you tried it the grass at home (i.e. somewhere where you can look at it a few days later)?
There is the intermediate stage of damage, where it gets hot enough to kill the grass, but not hot enough to char it.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

andrew_s wrote:
neilwragg wrote:I sometimes add a lightweight ally foldable mat underneath if the ground is grass or similar or if there isnt a handy brick available!.

Have you tried it the grass at home (i.e. somewhere where you can look at it a few days later)?
There is the intermediate stage of damage, where it gets hot enough to kill the grass, but not hot enough to char it.

Yes & this stove hasn't left a mark when I've used it, it hardly even gets the ground warm, placing a hot pan on the ground probably does more harm (or a decent summer or a tent in the same place for a few days). Maybe it's because I'm just bringing a pot of water to the boil so it's alight for a few minutes (& I can lift the stove by the metal mat straight after so nothing gets that hot) or maybe it's because of the way a woodgas stove works - it's not relying on hot embers but the secondary burn of the twigs. Image
The Kellly Kettle leave a perfectly circular burn print and the Honey Stove stove leaves a decorative 'dotty' burn print so when I've used these they have to be on a surface that can withstand that, or I would use an upturned saucepan to rest them on.

It doesn't keep your pot as clean as using a gas stove but then I'd rather pick up a few twigs by the side of the road than have companies producing canisters of gas which we then throw away.

I manage my local Scout campsite so regularly find out which part of the field the Scouts 'cooked' in but grass is very resilient, it's when they have open ground fires that I have to nurse back to health, everything else the grass seems to cope with.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

neilwragg wrote:mine is the Wild Woodgas Stove – Genuine MKIIt – [Tall], very lightweight & no fuel to carry. I do take some cut up inner tubes to use as firelighters......

I've received the stove the other day.
A lovely piece of kit, can't wait to try it! At 250gr it makes sense for a trip over 3 days, IME I need about 80-90gr of meths per day so if biomass is available it's all bulk&weight saving, though I find meths burners very convenient.

Not sure about inner tubes as fire lighters, would prefer used kitchen paper dipped in wax
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Try cotton wool dipped in Vaseline. Wrap in cling or similar.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I went for a quick spin today, with the excuse of trying the DIY small front pack :wink:

The stove is pretty good, the fire lights up in seconds using a piece of tinder (I use Hammaro card, effective, non-chemical and not smelly!) the size of a stamp! 8)
With a handful of twigs/small branches I got 1/2lt of water boiling in 6 minutes. Not bad!
The gassifier seems quite effective, after a couple of minutes the stove has warmed-up, it makes very little smoke.

RickH

Post by RickH »

I've used one of the rectangular, folding ex-army hexamine stoves turned upside down & fed with twigs as a wood burner in the past. It worked surprisingly well. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
meic

Post by meic »

Hardly any rain over the past month, the earth is dry enough to raise dust. So not hard to find good fuel for a twig burner at the moment.

Life gets much harder when everything is sodden with two weeks of continuous rain.
Yma o Hyd