Woodburning Stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Re: Woodburning Stoves

Post by mercalia »

well I have been looking at the ones on Ebay and trying to figure out where all the bits go -

wood gas stove
wood gas stove

of the 5 bits where does the small pan like thing go bottom right?

seems smaller than the other bits - does it go underneath to catch any fall thu embers? wont some fall out side the pan?

or is it some kind of flame spreader you can out on the top? puzzled :!:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mercalia wrote:well I have been looking at the ones on Ebay and trying to figure out where all the bits go -

STOVE.JPG

of the 5 bits where does the small pan like thing go bottom right?

seems smaller than the other bits - does it go underneath to catch any fall thu embers? wont some fall out side the pan?

or is it some kind of flame spreader you can out on the top? puzzled :!:

It's a gel fuel burner accessory dish, not necessary for wood fuel.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

received my cheapo wood burner last night took only 3-4 days to get it from ebay - via Yodel ( :( arrived here at 8pm. must say they seem to be better than times past as now they give comprehensive tracking info incl mobile of driver)

from here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Wood-Gas-Burning-Backpacking-Camping-Picnic-Party-Stove-Alcohol-Stove/351795389839?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It is nicely made with no sharp edges most are rounded over and it all fits to gether well and the steel seems a decent thickness

works well - I used 120 grms of Tesco wood cat litter as main fuel and about 10grms of Wilko wood shavings used for small animal bedding to start it off and worked well. The wood shavings are really cheap just £2 for a large bag from Wilko, (would last a life time) and since you dont need much probably a good starter fuel as a cup full would last quite a few burns and is very light. I was able to boil about 700ml of water ( large water bottle worth ) in about 10-15 minutes or so from light up - the fuel didnt last much longer than that. Got lots of soot on the kettle - was a bit windy out side so flames all over the place. After the pellets were consumed I tried a few bits of twig lying around - I dont think I'll being using that fuel again unless it has been very dry, as rather smokey and the smell gets into clothes. The Tesco pellets were largely smoke and odour free.

So that was a bit of fun.

Given I have lots of cat litter & animal bedding left over from filling my HiFi speaker stands for me could be a very cheap way of boiling water for a cuppa when out - cheaper than petrol

Now any one know a cheap Stainless Steel camping kettle as the alloy one I used hard to get the soot off it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:Now any one know a cheap Stainless Steel camping kettle as the alloy one I used hard to get the soot off it.

Vango do one with a folding handle.

But why worry about the soot? You can just pack it in a bag or something?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mercalia wrote:Now any one know a cheap Stainless Steel camping kettle as the alloy one I used hard to get the soot off it.

How about this one? http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/cooking/ket ... oCR7bw_wcB
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rualexander wrote:

How about this one? http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/cooking/ket ... oCR7bw_wcB

thats the one and the place i intend to get from :D go pick it up to save postage also.

found it tonite
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0040YM0QE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new is the one I meant.

I think I saw that one but like many cheap ones the bottom and walls are not one piece so if you are unlucky ( I have been so in the past with such builds ) water will leak. The alloy one I have and the one I intend to get the body is all one piece so leaking can never happen. I dont like paying £19 for such an item but seems like no choice as its the only one that will last a long time time and never fail at any seam.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Will probably return to this thread later on other points, but got to say, mercalia, much as i like interesting stuff and the prospect of freedom from "manufactured" fuel, I think I have rather gone off the idea of these after your report back, at least for cycle camping. You basically, at least for you, seem to be saying that gathering fuel is a no no and instead are actually carrying another manufactured fuel with you.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Many people use woodburning stoves with collected fuel. If someone wants to carry their fuel with them it is their choice but one you don't have to follow. You only need the stove, means to light it and to learn to spot good fuel. This last point is where a few people new to woodburning stoves fall down at first IME.

These stoves are a personal choice. They work but so do all the other stoves. Choice is good!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Will probably return to this thread later on other points, but got to say, mercalia, much as i like interesting stuff and the prospect of freedom from "manufactured" fuel, I think I have rather gone off the idea of these after your report back, at least for cycle camping. You basically, at least for you, seem to be saying that gathering fuel is a no no and instead are actually carrying another manufactured fuel with you.

I only used some twigs lying around on the concrete car park behind where I live that is surrounded by trees and we have had some rain so not completely dry I bet, so hardly a test, more a thought. I bet the wood cat litter is much cheaper than other fuels and has no waste like gas canisters and futher more is not really a fire risk like petrol or other liguid/gas fuels - so I like the idea. Probably go for a hybrid soln. maybe start with some pellets and then feed in some twigs. Unlike with gas or petrol where you have no choice but to buy fuel. I havent used it on the road yet but nice to be able to take some backup fuel that may never be used. The only thing I dont like is the soot it produces unlike petrol or gas. Because the stoves are so cheap I think a matter of suck it and see if you like the idea in practice rather than go on my ideas - remember The Great Halfords Chain debacle :lol: :lol:

You must remember I have no incentive at the moment to use twigs as I have a lot of cat litter and hamster bedding left over, I have no use of, after I filled my speaker stands.

Here is an alternative idea -
https://www.tomtop.com/outdoor-appliances-107/p-y0123.html?currency=GBP&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplagb&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnazLBRDxrdGMx-Km4oQBEiQAQJ1q69jLQY52voaiC3ZBMcpROf19t_HA34j7BZPMdxH2_ZUaAoGY8P8HAQ

packs flat it seems
Last edited by mercalia on 16 Jul 2017, 2:08pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Google hobo stove. I noticed Wilkos had a £3 stainless steel.cutlery drainer. Not as fuel efficient but cheap and easy start to burning wood. If you like it then get a £25 or £50 woodgas stove, the good one that'll last longer once you have got used to burning wood for fuel on the road.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:Google hobo stove. I noticed Wilkos had a £3 stainless steel.cutlery drainer. Not as fuel efficient but cheap and easy start to burning wood. If you like it then get a £25 or £50 woodgas stove, the good one that'll last longer once you have got used to burning wood for fuel on the road.

I really cant see that my £10 one wont last a very long time so see no need to add to the excessive profit of those selling them at £25-50. Reminds me of those selling those yakalike single wheel trailers at £200+ then being undercut by cheaper imports at some times £30.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Mercalia do you think you could use your stove with a trangia sat in the bottom rather than fuel would the gel fuel Base be big enough to sit one on. Thanks
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

firestarter wrote:Mercalia do you think you could use your stove with a trangia sat in the bottom rather than fuel would the gel fuel Base be big enough to sit one on. Thanks

havent got a clue what you are talking about. For burning wood pellets it is good enough and no need for any aternative fuel type to carry around.