Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
firestarter

Re: Woodburning Stoves

Post by firestarter »

No worries
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The Wilko wood shavings so useful for purposes othe than bedding for small animals -

works well as kindling for my wood burner - dont need much so this pack will last ages

http://www.wilko.com/small-pet-cages+bedding-/wilko-wood-shavings-for-small-animals/invt/0080089?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am really sold on this woodburner. Had an opportunity to try it out and make a cup of tea - did the job and the tea tasted fine - nothing better than a cup of tea when out freshly brewed. As I use it more I will learn to use what ever wood I find out about but at the moment its cat litter and hamster bedding ( for kindling ). The bedding works really well and I can see my self taking a bit evven if I do use twigs as it is so light in weight any way. When I think of the cost of alternative fuels like petrol it is a no brainer? Because it is so easy & cheap now to boil water what about a hot water bottle for the nights when it is a bit cold? The only down side is the carbon on the bottom of the kettle but that seems to have hardened and not rub off easy, just take a plastic bag to keep it in.

Sweep rather than base a decision on my adventures you should get one and see for your self if it is any good -mine cost less than £10 and is as good as you need, should last a long time. I can give you some of my cat litter etc to get you started.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mercalia I have no doubt that the stove is well made and as good as the one (in fact almost certainly the same thing) I saw in a shop for two to three times the price, but I don't think I need another stove and don't want to collect clutter. On tour my bike has a trangia meths bottle underneath it, trangia cookset, trangia gas burner, gas cartridge, tiny gas stove (vital for morning and mid ride espresso) adaptors which mean I can use three different types of gas cartridge. I think i'm covered. Will follow your posts with interest though, especially when you get out in the wilds with it and stop depriving small animals of their bathroom and bedroom requisites.
Last edited by Sweep on 23 Jul 2017, 9:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

In fairly dry conditions I've found that a 1"x1" of Hammaro tinder card is enough to light up the Wild Woodgas by adding just small twigs, it goes on in seconds.
The Hammaro card is odourless and does not contain nasty stuff, I like it.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:In fairly dry conditions I've found that a 1"x1" of Hammaro tinder card is enough to light up the Wild Woodgas by adding just small twigs, it goes on in seconds.
The Hammaro card is odourless and does not contain nasty stuff, I like it.

Link please gatto.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

No worries:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/QD103.html

The pack has got 6 sheets, and with one sheet you can start at least 6-8 fires.
Does not seem to absorb water, is very light, takes very little space, does not smell, and it can be frayed/fluffed to make it work even better: it's similar to densely pressed cardboard.
A 1"x1" would last about 3 minutes giving good flame, not bad!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:No worries:

Does not seem to absorb water, is very light, takes very little space, does not smell, and it can be frayed/fluffed to make it work even better: it's similar to densely pressed cardboard.

well my hamster bedding much much much cheaper - maybe 1000+ goes for just £2 :D :lol: pays to think out of the box
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I doubt it burns as long and when wet, tho! :wink:

Btw, I'm all for DIY, there's many ways to make tinder with cotton and parafine or wax; I just wanted to try something "ready in a box". Sometimes I do actually buy stuff that is ready to use :mrgreen:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

been thinking of what to put the stove on. I see some here use aluminium foil? good idea but rather single use? So thought what else have I similar, and got the idea those foil takaway boxes. Being some one who dont throw things away I have one so cut the walls and flattened into a sheet, then cut a circle from the sheet. saved me spending £8 on a jewelers soldering sheet from ebay?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mercalia wrote:been thinking of what to put the stove on. I see some here use aluminium foil? good idea but rather single use? So thought what else have I similar, and got the idea those foil takaway boxes. Being some one who dont throw things away I have one so cut the walls and flattened into a sheet, then cut a circle from the sheet. saved me spending £8 on a jewelers soldering sheet from ebay?

I got a plumber's soldering mat from b&q similar to this one, https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+T ... Mat/p52046 it's lasted a few years but wearing a bit thin now, the ground still gets a bit scorched underneath it though so I prefer to try and find a suitable rock or make a platform of stones.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:No worries:

Thanks for that gatto. An alternative to tampons i see it says. Which I presume, favouring multi-use kit, you rejected.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:been thinking of what to put the stove on. I see some here use aluminium foil? good idea but rather single use? So thought what else have I similar, and got the idea those foil takaway boxes. Being some one who dont throw things away I have one so cut the walls and flattened into a sheet, then cut a circle from the sheet. saved me spending £8 on a jewelers soldering sheet from ebay?

I always carry 1/2mt of kitchen foil neatly folded. Useful for many things, takes virtually no space or weight so no excuse for not bringing it :)
Blag

Post by Blag »

Tangled Metal wrote:Google hobo stove. I noticed Wilkos had a £3 stainless steel.cutlery drainer. Not as fuel efficient but cheap and easy start to burning wood. If you like it then get a £25 or £50 woodgas stove, the good one that'll last longer once you have got used to burning wood for fuel on the road.

That's what I said on page 2

"Have a look at the ikea hobo stoves I've made a couple they work great"

Pine cones are great fuel in it
Blag

Post by Blag »

20130616_160509.jpg