Thermarest Neo X-Lite - very, very slow leak!!

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
JackRabbitSlims

Thermarest Neo X-Lite - very, very slow leak!!

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Hi,

I have a Thermarest Neo Air X-Lite sleeping pad / mat.

If I blow it up fully and leave it in the spare room it will take around 3 days, but will lose around 1/2 the air pressure.
When I sleep on it in the tent, I blow it up hard before retiring and when I wake it is around 3/4 out of air.

I have filled the bath on three seperate occasions and submerged the Mat looking for the leaks (yeah, like the inner tube style) and there is no signs of air escaping anywhere.
I even got my sister around to double check as I thought I was going crazy!!

I've paid particular attention to the valve area and it is all clear :shock:

Any ideas or clues to what is going on here??
I have the patch kit necessary to mend it.

Thanks if you can help me out.

Cheers.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Thermarest Neo X-Lite - very, very slow leak!!

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've had success with misting a mat's surface. Don't translate into German. (Misting=spray with manure) If that fails, are you in a position to send to Thermarest for repairs? These big players are often keen to impress for just the cost of postage.
boblo

Post by boblo »

Mine was doing that, it was a slight debond on the seam. If yours is the same and you can find it, you can repair it very very carefully with a warm iron.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd try getting it properly wet with soapy water, and looking for bubbles
JackRabbitSlims

Heltor Chasca wrote:I've had success with misting a mat's surface. Don't translate into German. (Misting=spray with manure) If that fails, are you in a position to send to Thermarest for repairs? These big players are often keen to impress for just the cost of postage.

Thanks Heltor - I'll give that a try some time today.

I'm running out of time as I fly NZ - Amsterdam this Sunday to start my Tour...so, it's either, find the leak, put up with it, or look to buy a replacement while I'm in Europe.

Cheers.
JackRabbitSlims

boblo wrote:Mine was doing that, it was a slight debond on the seam. If yours is the same and you can find it, you can repair it very very carefully with a warm iron.

Thanks boblo - If I can find the leak and it's the bonding on the seam, I'll try the technique you suggest - what "setting" did you have the iron on? - ie which material?

Cheers.
JackRabbitSlims

andrew_s wrote:I'd try getting it properly wet with soapy water, and looking for bubbles

Thanks Andrew.

Are you suggesting that this is a better method than submerging the inflated Mat in the bath to search for the leak??

Either way, I'm going to give this a try and see what turns up!

Cheers.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Mine has the same problem, tho it is a thermarest trail mat. Found and repaired two holes. Cannot find any more and it still leaks. Very very slowly. It was new 7 weeks ago. Can't return it , as I got it while touring.