Tent, Sleeping Bag and Roll Mat 1.1Kg - How?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
willem jongman

Re: Tent, Sleeping Bag and Roll Mat 1.1Kg - How?

Post by willem jongman »

I guess 1 kg for a tent, a matrass and a sleeping bag is indeed doable. However, it is relatively expensive, not very comfortable and not very environmentally friendly either (because not hard wearing).
Personally I am more interested in the 2-3 kg range for a comfortable and sturdy set up. So my sleeping bag is a 600 gram PhD Minim 200 wide (it could have done with a bit more down for a slightly more extended range). For colder nights I can add a down vest, and for really cold weather I can add a 700 gram synthetic and waterrepellent overbag. My summer mattress is a 400+ gram Exped Synmat UL (it goes down to a few degrees above freezing, but not more, whatever Exped claim) and for colder weather I have a 900 gram Exped Downmat. I am looking for a new solo tent right now. There are quite a few small solo tents around the 1 kg mark, but I find them a bit too cramped. My current favourite is the Helsport Ringstind 2 Pro, at 1950 gram. The general shape is the same as all these 1 kg tents, but it is larger in all dimensions. I have still not decided, since I am also pondering the new for 2017 Ringstind 2 Superlight at 1300 grams. However, that is more expensive, and I fear rather more fragile. I would hate to throw away a tent after only perhaps six years.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pjclinch wrote:...
Why does it have to be about weight? ...

Have you followed the link of the "ultralight touring"? It is all about the weight there.

Btw, to say that a helmet is a "faff" and not comfortable is a bit of a bold statement, modern helmets (doesn't mean "expensive") are very well ventilated and light, you may even forget to have one on the head. If you (like I do in town, for example) don't want to use it is a different story :)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

willem jongman wrote:I guess 1 kg for a tent, a matrass and a sleeping bag is indeed doable. However, it is relatively expensive, not very comfortable and not very environmentally friendly either (because not hard wearing).
Personally I am more interested in the 2-3 kg range for a comfortable and sturdy set up. So my sleeping bag is a 600 gram PhD Minim 200 wide (it could have done with a bit more down for a slightly more extended range). For colder nights I can add a down vest, and for really cold weather I can add a 700 gram synthetic and waterrepellent overbag. My summer mattress is a 400+ gram Exped Synmat UL (it goes down to a few degrees above freezing, but not more, whatever Exped claim) and for colder weather I have a 900 gram Exped Downmat. I am looking for a new solo tent right now. There are quite a few small solo tents around the 1 kg mark, but I find them a bit too cramped. My current favourite is the Helsport Ringstind 2 Pro, at 1950 gram. The general shape is the same as all these 1 kg tents, but it is larger in all dimensions. I have still not decided, since I am also pondering the new for 2017 Ringstind 2 Superlight at 1300 grams. However, that is more expensive, and I fear rather more fragile. I would hate to throw away a tent after only perhaps six years.

"comfort" is a very personal thing.
I.e. that guy above can sleep fine on a piece of bubble wrap and no tent, other people find themselves in need of a very spacious tent.

For me, it works somewhat in the middle: either a tarp or a proper tent that would allow me to sit (or better, to kneel down for the "wee-in-the-bottle-on-a-cold-night" :lol: ), a good sleeping pad, a sleeping quilt according to the season.
Just over 700gr for the tarp (tent flysheet+groundheet+poles+pegs); my summer sleeping quilt is 400gr, plus I carry an emergency Bivy (Sol Lite) that weights only 150gr and does a great job in reflecting the body heat; last thing is the NeoAir sleeping pad which is about 350gr.

At 1.66kg is a relatively light setup that is also small to carry, yet allows me to sleep well and spend time in the shelter without feeling cramped: I much rather have a single-wall spacious tent than a cramped double-wall 70cm-tall one :?
I could save some weight in the tent poles, but I like the A-frame with front "V" pole that leaves ful access with no poles in the way :D
In the same way, I could shave some weight with a small and thin mattress, but the NeoAir works well for me, it's fairly thick and especially good insulating from the cold ground; this way I can carry a lighter sleeping quilt (no need to insulate under the body, the mattress does this job), and use the spare clothing if turns really cold.

The pic below shows the good space provided by using the flysheet only, surely this works best only in summer; during fall season or cold weather in general, I will add the solid fabric inner tent that would add about 350gr but gives 4-season protection with decent space inside
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8002/2826 ... add8_h.jpg
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Gattonero wrote:
Why does it have to be about weight? ...

Have you followed the link of the "ultralight touring"? It is all about the weight there.

Yes, I did. Helmets aren't mentioned at all, so it's not a safe assumption it was left out because of the weight. I don't tour light and don't worry much about weight, but still don't take a helmet.

Gattonero wrote:Btw, to say that a helmet is a "faff" and not comfortable is a bit of a bold statement, modern helmets (doesn't mean "expensive") are very well ventilated and light, you may even forget to have one on the head. If you (like I do in town, for example) don't want to use it is a different story :)

It's not bold at all: snugly strapping a rigid block of polystyrene on your head is more of a faff and less comfortable than not snugly strapping a block of polystyrene to your head, and if you take it off it requires more space than a cycling cap. They are very comfortable as crash helmets go, but they're not that comfortable as far as any headgear goes, particularly if you're building up a sweat on a hard, slow climb on a hot day.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My contribution
Vaude Power Lizard UL2 Tent. 1075g
S2S Spark SP1 sleeping bag. 395g
Thermarest Neo Air Xlite 3/4. 238g

Total. 1708g

That's my current camping set up which I consider a reasonable weight/performance ratio - it'll go 3 season with my 111g silk liner from Decathlon. As I rarely camp outside of June to September. It's more than adequate. That it set me back @ £800 is another matter!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

It's not bold at all: snugly strapping a rigid block of polystyrene on your head is more of a faff and less comfortable than not snugly strapping a block of polystyrene to your head, and if you take it off it requires more space than a cycling cap. They are very comfortable as crash helmets go, but they're not that comfortable as far as any headgear goes, particularly if you're building up a sweat on a hard, slow climb on a hot day.

Pete.

I tend to sweat a lot, yet a decent helmet does not give me trouble or makes me sweat more -actually being white reflects the strong sun- even when cycling in south Italy with over 30ºc.
Perhaps you are more sensitive to this problem.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

foxyrider wrote:My contribution
Vaude Power Lizard UL2 Tent. 1075g
S2S Spark SP1 sleeping bag. 395g
Thermarest Neo Air Xlite 3/4. 238g

Total. 1708g

That's my current camping set up which I consider a reasonable weight/performance ratio - it'll go 3 season with my 111g silk liner from Decathlon. As I rarely camp outside of June to September. It's more than adequate. That it set me back @ £800 is another matter!

I got inspired about how much I can leave home without giving me hard time.
The result was interesting: with a 4-season tent is 3kg, excluding food and water, or the clothing I would be wearing. It does include 200ml of fuel, to use the stove at least 5 times.

The tent in 4-season setup goes to 1.1kg, in the summer this can easily drop 300gr
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4193/3421 ... c7aa_b.jpg
But using the 4-season tent inner a lighter sleeping bag can be used (the bag is not compressed, will go nearly half this size)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2837/3350 ... 806a_b.jpg
And frankly I'd find hard to not use the full-size inflatable mattress (with the repair kit), the yellow pump-sack weights 100gr and works as dry-bag or simply as seating
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4184/3353 ... a7ef_b.jpg
ossie

Post by ossie »

I'm settled on my tent (1.7kg), sleeping bag at 800g and mat at 590g....

It all pales into insignificance when you lob a couple of bottles of claret into the front offside pannier :D

However Mark Beaumont made it clear he wasn't exactly operating in his comfort zone on that trip, so as long as you accept it will be more of a perverse sort of torture then go lighter.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Uhm, just a bottle of wine after cycling would send me to the next day in a torture :lol:
I guess most of the compromise is in the tent: space, durability and low weight don't go well together. I can't be asked to have less than 90cm of headroom 8)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Gattonero wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
Gattonero wrote:No helmet either
And this is notable because...?
Most people would ride only with a helmet.
He rides with a cap, as can be seen if you scroll down and look at the photos.

When you get down to it, most people ride without a helmet, including the 99% of Dutch cyclists who don't race.

Dutch safety statistics:
30% of cyclists in Dutch hospitals with head injuries were wearing a helmet. 1% of Dutch cyclists wear a helmet.
Therefore helmets cause head injuries.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

best thing i have ever done is get a camper longflap saddlebag

because weight is one thing, but if you're strong cyclist it's not much of a problem, and only really comes into effect when climbing, but even then I've out climbed unladen leisure cyclists crossing major mountain ranges, fully loaded. 12 kg evenly distributed in my panniers and respectable condition/genetics vs not so talented and not so conditioned

Bulk, however has an aero drag all the time and is accessible to the wind from 360 degrees relatively irrespective of topography. Pushing the air is the major demand in cycling

Getting a weekends camping stuff ( self supported cooking/food/etc) into circa 20l opens the eyes ( mine at least) to what I could do without but still be safe and comfortable in a mountain environment. Having it placed close behind the bum and thighs means there's not such a penalty to pay as the air is so chopped up then anyway.

Gone are the days of taking as much for two night as two weeks.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

AND BACK TO THE OP PLEASE .... i'm interested in this .... not more bl**dy helmet stuff.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

trilathon wrote:...
because weight is one thing, but if you're strong cyclist it's not much of a problem, and only really comes into effect when climbing, but even then I've out climbed unladen leisure cyclists crossing major mountain ranges, fully loaded. 12 kg evenly distributed in my panniers and respectable condition/genetics vs not so talented and not so conditioned ....

True.
Going up a hill is a challenge to gravity laws, so for a given cyclist's strength less weight means less effort; but it has to be clear that there's no substitute for decent fitness condition, and this is often not understood by thinking "superlight = I'll be faster" :roll:

One thing has not been mentioned yet, is the "body temperature", which is another very personal thing. Some people do not seem to generate body heat, others will. The former will need a thicker sleeping bag, the latter will need little insulation.
The sleeping bag does not "warm up" itself, it does simply retain the body heat. Also, a good meal before going to sleep is important to generate heat, a little amount of fat in the food will keep the body "running warm" for longer 8)
I've met some people that simply cannot use a light (=less insulation) sleeping bag even in the summer. For those, I don't think that is possible to go very light for a sleeping system.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Having spent several nights all packed ready to bail out of the tent if the worst happens and the high winds damaged my Terra Nova Voyager, I really would not fancy going very lightweight on the trips I make to NW. Scotland. I've also found myself scraping ice off the tent in the morning, so even in the spring/early summer a good bag is needed. I've had to sit out bad weather a couple of times when it was so windy it really was not safe to ride. Having the luxury of a chair kit for my Exped Synmat made those days much more tolerable! So I guess how light you go also comes down to places you intend to visit and how you you plan to tackle the bad days. It is easy to pack for a perfect night!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

gloomyandy wrote:...It is easy to pack for a perfect night!

Sure it is! :)

OTOH, extreme situations should be dealt accordingly.
I.e. if the wind is so strong that could damage the tent or making the ride very hard or impossible, one shouldn't be afraid to bail out and seek shelter. Ideally a bothy, but nature usually can help with rocks or big trees to protect from the wind. A good sleeping bag is still not much use if icy wind is blowing directly onto :(
In this case I'd rather have a tarp held up with the bike, the frame works as unbreakable pole so the weak point can only be the pegs.

When going in areas which are know to be exposed, weather forecast is very important. If you know people that live in the alps, they won't move out without checking the weather and be prepared.