Camping in Paris

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
trilathon

Camping in Paris

Post by trilathon »

Has anyone camped in paris, and can offer any recommendations or experience please or cycle friendly routes in from the north ?

There seems to be a plethora of sites to choose, and I'll probably select Camping International de Maisons Laffittet, as it's on a little island in the river (a bit like sites i've used in Copenhagen and Berlin) and is near the archaeological museum which i wish to visit.

I'll probably only be there a couple of days, and intend to cycle around the tourist sites and go to the Louvre as well

Thanks
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
Graham

Re: Camping in Paris

Post by Graham »

Camping @ Maisons Lafitte is OK if you are deaf or blind drunk. There is a railway alongside, on a high embankment, that has trains running all through the night.

Even the furthest point is blighted by this noise.

The site operators have responded by gradually converting the site to caravan-type units, which I assume give some sort of defence against the train noise.

Prior topics :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9949 .
Last edited by Graham on 13 Sep 2019, 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove old (misleading) info
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Thanks for that, very helpful.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've not been here but it looks quiet nice from the website and the reviews on Tripadviser are pretty good. I can only see one bad review and they are about the weather being to hot and insects.

https://www.camping-indigo.com/en/paris ... ite/access

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... ml#REVIEWS
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Thanks, I'd noticed that one and may indeed stop there.

I must admit I have pretty low expectations of city camping and have so far had some good experiences in the few ones I've visited official campsites at ( Berlin, Amsterdam and Copenhagen, Naples ) I've even wild camped in various cities, once in a Bishop's ornamental shrubery in Gerona ( ooo'er missus). It being relatively safe is my prime concern and just somewhere to bunk down whilst seeing some bits and bobs
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I last camped here after thumbing to Paris in 1961. It's very central! I remember the Germans coming back pissed at 2am and waking up the whole site. So in the morning before they woke up we all pissed on their tents! :lol:

https://www.camping-indigo.com/en/paris ... -campsite/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

A great way to get into Paris from the north is along the Canal de l'Ourcq, it will take you all the way to Bastille on bikeway.

I have never camped in Paris but have camped on the outskirts many times. I catch a train to the city ( you can take your bike). The Belle Etoile in Melun is quite good. It is close to the train station, clean, quiet and relatively inexpensive. It is also well placed for journeys south...
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I've stayed at Maisons Laffitte two or three times, and can't say I noticed the noise. I found it a pleasant campsite - horses for courses I guess. They recommend that cyclists take the train into Paris because of the traffic, but it's actually a perfectly reasonable – if long – ride if you're used to urban riding. Follow the D308/D992, and don't, like I did once, go via La Defense, which is like riding on a motorway.
I seem to recollect it's quite a challenging bit of navigation to approach it from the north.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Graham wrote:Prior topics :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9949 . . . . . which contains my recommendation to camp at St Quentin en Yvelines.

I think St Quentin may not be operating any longer (built on by the new velodrome?), from a memory of idly following the YACF Paris-Brest_Paris topics in the run up to the last event.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

trilathon wrote:Has anyone camped in paris, and can offer any recommendations or experience please or cycle friendly routes in from the north ?

Funny you should ask: Just the other day, I built a list of camp sites in the region in case I wanted to try some new camping gear for a night not far from home. There might be more sites, but probably not many.

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/cam ... 946/2.3442

The north of Paris is not cycle-friendly, as it used to be very industrial, although you can follow the Canal de l'Ourcq heading north-east.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thank for the map Winfried. That's very useful.
joe4broke

Post by joe4broke »

I met a French guy a couple of weeks back who said he would kip in the cemetery if he needed to lol!
Dreaming of India