Cycling touring USA logistics help

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
IverPotter

Cycling touring USA logistics help

Post by IverPotter »

Trying to figure out logistics for a Pacific North West tour later in the year. Basic premise. Fly myself and bike to Vancouver or Seattle. Ride to SF. Fly home from SF.

As it's a point to point ride, one thing I can't figure out is what to do with my luggage (bike bag / cases)? Does anyone have experience of this?

Cheers

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
andrew_s

Re: Cycling touring USA logistics help

Post by andrew_s »

When I did an open-ended USA tour (fly to Denver, back from Albuquerque, American), we paid for cardboard bike boxes from the airline, arriving in time to pick them up from reception and pack the bikes before real check-in. Ask beforehand, in case they don't do that any more, ring up to check/remind a couple of days beforehand. The outbound bike boxes (scrounged from the LBS) just got abandoned.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I did a similar thing. The alternative is to get a bike box from a retailer and pack it up before taking a taxi to the airport.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've done three different things:
-use a shop cardboard box, recycle it at my arrival location & get a new one at my departure location
-take a large plastic bag http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk- ... -bike-bag/ fold it up and carry it around in my panniers
-take a bike bag and ship it to my departure destination from my arrival destination

The easiest one logistically is the plastic bag. Some people worry about taking their bikes on a plane in those, but I've never had any trouble.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
IverPotter

Post by IverPotter »

Thanks all!!
irc

Post by irc »

I do the cardboard box way.

I've flown home from San Francisco. No problem getting hold of a cardboard bike box there are plenty bike shops.

As for the rest of my luggage. I use 1 front pannier as a carry on with my paperwork/passport/netbook. Everything else goes in a large suitcase which I also dump on arrival. Everything else includes my saddle/seatpost and pedals - ust to help get the bike box weight well under 23kg. A 15 or 16kg tourer, large box and plenty packing is getting close to the limit. Makes the box marginally easier to lug about airports as well.

Returning home I buy a case or holdall. Needn't cost much. Last time I got a nylon holdall in Walmart for about $18.

For finishing in San Francisco - if your are considering using hostel accommodation book early. I can recommend the HI Internation Fishermans Wharf Hostel. A quiet location within easy walking of any facilities. Also has a walk in locked bike and luggage storage room which is right beside reception so is secure.

The hostel also has a suggested company to contact for the airport shuttle which takes bike boxes. Fee was reasonable.

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetail ... cisco/4551

San Francisco has a high rate of bike thefts. When I was there another tourer had his bike stolen. I wouldn't leave my bike out of sight for more than a few minutes even if locked. Away from San Francisco and other big towns with a cycling culture and bike thieves the theft risk is much lower.
IverPotter

Post by IverPotter »

Many thanks!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The YHA hostel in Seattle was decent when I stayed there. But a couple of other people who were staying there said the Green Tortoise was better.

There are (or were) also a couple of hostels on the islands in Puget Sound.

In Troutdale, OR (near Portland), I can recommend McMenamin's. It's a resort hotel with an on-site brewery, spa, and other niceties, but they also have hostel rooms at quite reasonable prices.

McMenamin's own a few other hotels and breweries, but I haven't stayed at any of their other places. I would try them given the chance, though.

It's worth a detour to seethe Columbia River Gorge and further south, Crater Lake, if you can.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom