10 of the best wild camping sites in Scotland

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

10 of the best wild camping sites in Scotland

Post by mercalia »

according to the Guardian ( now not so wild when the masses descend :lol: )

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/may/08/10-best-wild-camping-sites-scotland-highlands?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=225097&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I am almost tempted to visit - I like FREE.

Any one here visited them?

if others here think these worthy maybe add to the camp "site" list for permanent record after a time?
Norman H

Re: 10 of the best wild camping sites in Scotland

Post by Norman H »

The trouble with this sort of thing, which you've already identified, is that your favourite unspoilt campsite, ceases to be unspoilt once you let others in on the secret.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not wildcamping but there's a MBA bothy on the far north of the isle of Skye that's amazing. An old coastguard spotter station on the cliff top above the Durnish peninsula. A large bay window. Perfect for whale watching.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Norman H wrote:The trouble with this sort of thing, which you've already identified, is that your favourite unspoilt campsite, ceases to be unspoilt once you let others in on the secret.

That's why my "secret" camping spots in my neck of the woods (Lake District) will only get passed on to friends I trust. Although the one I've yet to try will never get shared. It's quite possibly never been camped on with it being a scramble up and not overlooked. Plus you'd never think there was somewhere to pitch up there.

If you want to see what happens when a good spot becomes well known then take a look at a bothy in the Galloway hills not far from Glen Trool and Newton Stewart. It gets trashed a lot and IIRC got burnt out a bit once. Blame the Neds! :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Norman H wrote:The trouble with this sort of thing, which you've already identified, is that your favourite unspoilt campsite, ceases to be unspoilt once you let others in on the secret.

That's why my "secret" camping spots in my neck of the woods (Lake District) will only get passed on to friends I trust. Although the one I've yet to try will never get shared. It's quite possibly never been camped on with it being a scramble up and not overlooked. Plus you'd never think there was somewhere to pitch up there.

If you want to see what happens when a good spot becomes well known then take a look at a bothy in the Galloway hills not far from Glen Trool and Newton Stewart. It gets trashed a lot and IIRC got burnt out a bit once. Blame the Neds! :wink:

what are Neds?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

Best explained by Wikipedia but my take on it is they're Glaswegians who go out of the city for a night out drinking heavily. Often located within easy reach of Glasgow such as east side of loch lomond. Use of fires, irresponsible disposal of waste (including human) and complete disregard for the principles of "leave no trace".

Basically put they descend on a site and completely trash it. Result ranges from bothies trashed to complete ban on camping in areas around the east coast of loch lomond and other areas.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Talisker Bay on Skye would be my addition to the list.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Joe.B wrote:Talisker Bay on Skye would be my addition to the list.

Dam. Now it's not secret.

Ha ha - yes indeed.
One of my fav places.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Tangled Metal wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

Best explained by Wikipedia but my take on it is they're Glaswegians who go out of the city for a night out drinking heavily. Often located within easy reach of Glasgow such as east side of loch lomond. Use of fires, irresponsible disposal of waste (including human) and complete disregard for the principles of "leave no trace".

Basically put they descend on a site and completely trash it. Result ranges from bothies trashed to complete ban on camping in areas around the east coast of loch lomond and other areas.

NED
Non Educated Delinquent?

And as a result - some areas around Loch Lommond are ticket only to camp. So I believe
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Ned . . . I always thought it was a diminution of ner-do-well.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I just thought it was another term for Wegie.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote:I just thought it was another term for Wegie.

Don't get confused with a Numptie :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info