What's up with camping gas?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

What's up with camping gas?

Post by Slowroad »

I've been looking for my usual camping gas - either the blue Camping Gaz or alternatives such as the Wilko one (I have two stoves so can use whichever is best value at the time. It's the dumpy cartridges not the tall ones, but the Gaz is like hen's teeth and expensive, while Wilko don't seem to stock theirs any more. (I am going to contact them about this).
Does anyone know why this is?
Thanks!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Re: What's up with camping gas?

Post by foxyrider »

I noticed it wasn't on the shelf the other day - seasonal issue maybe?

Give Decathlon a try, my local one can be a bit hit and miss but in theory you can order on line.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

If there's not a Decathlon near you and you want to avoid the postal charges Halfords have the CV300 at £4

http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure ... oCy2jw_wcB

If it's a pierce can these are £2.24 if you can find a branch near you.

http://www.towsure.com/campingaz-206-pi ... oChM_w_wcB
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

"The range" store has very cheap piercable canisters.

And with a suitable adaptor you can remove them from the stove. Effectively they become a screwfit canister.
Sweep
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Had a nice bike ride up to our local Decathlon yesterday and got a couple of Primus screw-fit canisters for £3.99 - and of course loads of other useful bits & bobs! Ooops.
Bit wary of the piercable ones, having had a couple of dodgy episodes with them in the 70's!
Cheers for your comments :-)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Be interested to hear about your 70s episodes. Set fire to your oxford bags? They have always seemed like a very basic product from an age before health and safety but i have never had a problem. Admittedly I am a cheapskate. Others views on their safety?
Sweep
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

D of E expeditions - leaking gas in tents (luckily us well-behaved schoolkids didn't smoke!) having to throw hissing canister as far away as possible. Admittedly they wern't as bad as the Primus meths stoves, the ones where you have to burn a meths tablet to warm them up, then pump them to get the pressure right...
And we didn't wear Oxford bags - more like flared cords! :lol:
― Peter Golkin
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Slowroad wrote:D of E expeditions - leaking gas in tents (luckily us well-behfaved schoolkids didn't smoke!) having to throw hissing canister as far away as possible. Admittedly they wern't as bad as the Primus meths stoves, the ones where you have to burn a meths tablet to warm them up, then pump them to get the pressure right...

I thought oxford bags were also a 70s thing, along with lots of other flapping male legwear.
I pretty much always keep puncture cartridge stoves outside the tent.
I do remember pumping brass primus stoves on 70s scout trips, but with nothing as sophisticated as meths tablets. Just meths in a pond/trench/moat below the main burner. Curiously i have a total blank on what we ever cooked on them. Probably just as well.
Sweep
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Slowroad wrote:D of E expeditions - leaking gas in tents (luckily us well-behaved schoolkids didn't smoke!) having to throw hissing canister as far away as possible. Admittedly they wern't as bad as the Primus meths stoves, the ones where you have to burn a meths tablet to warm them up, then pump them to get the pressure right...

Badly behaved Air cadets deliberately disconnecting a half full piercable canister, settingit alight and playing football with it :shock: :lol: :roll:
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Vesta Chicken Supreme. I suspect you have suppressed the memory...
― Peter Golkin
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I Cannot believe that pierceable Gas cartridges are actually still made and available. dangerous things!
John (Trangia fan)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Anyone else care to comment.

How dangerous are they really?

With sensible precautions?

Anyone care to list a few sensible precautions?
Sweep
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

leftpoole wrote:I Cannot believe that pierceable Gas cartridges are actually still made and available. dangerous things!
John (Trangia fan)

I have used them for over 40 years with camping stoves and never had a problem.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Slowroad wrote:while Wilko don't seem to stock theirs any more.

Larger Tesco's with camping sections always used to have the smaller blue canisters - I assumed that when they stopped stocking them it was because people were not buying them - Halfords and Blacks are where I go in the UK if im not camping in an area that has outdoor shops

As to the pierceable type I've used them for decades (i'm not as brave as bikepacker to say exactly how many decades) but i always regard them as a last resort and treat them with respect - not that ive ever had any bad experiences with them - however, it is equally possible with the resealable canisters to have a "moment" if you are careless
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

psmiffy wrote:it is equally possible with the resealable canisters to have a "moment" if you are careless

How?

Screw stove onto top tightly - job done. There may be a tiny leakage when you remove the stove but that's it. So how can you have a 'moment'?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!