What's up with camping gas?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: What's up with camping gas?

Post by Sweep »

crazydave789 wrote:t. even meths is a stupid price unless you buy in bulk or find a trago mills

Never understood why meths is so expensive in the UK. It's as if the government thinks the Brits are going to try drinking it anyway.

It also seems to be pretty hard to find discounted.

Is there a meths cartel?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:t. even meths is a stupid price unless you buy in bulk or find a trago mills

Never understood why meths is so expensive in the UK. It's as if the government thinks the Brits are going to try drinking it anyway.

Is there a meths cartel?

cat litter is far cheaper :wink: no cat litter cartel
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Sweep wrote:

Is there a meths cartel?

It has always been used as a cash cow for shops.

in york I could get a 500ml bottle for 62p from a decorators wholesaler it was £3.50 in B&Q or a camp shop. last time I saw some it in a camp shop was 6 quid a bottle.

5l bottles I could get for 4.95, now its advertised at 18 quid+. I wonder how much of it is going into tesco petrol instead.

https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/ ... litre.html probably the best bulk deal with delivery of there's a group of you or you know a local scout troop to share it with.

trago mills is still the cheapest unless you get a heating license for denatured alcohol and buy it in 100l drums. cabinet making suppliers used to be a decent price but even they have had to rack it up.

cheaper to buy smart price vodka or surgical spirit and use that. a lot of bushcrafters use panelwipe which is similar.

there's a guy doing the canals running the 'brew boat' who sells still kits, so it might be viable to make my own for cooking with and drinking :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Whilst this topic is current can I ask the collective view of whether this stove can be attached directly to this almost full cylinder without a pressure reducing valve. :?:

image.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

rjb wrote:Whilst this topic is current can I ask the collective view of whether this stove can be attached directly to this almost full cylinder without a pressure reducing valve. :?:

image.jpg

can't see why not is it still a 3/4 bsp thread?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

rjb wrote:Whilst this topic is current can I ask the collective view of whether this stove can be attached directly to this almost full cylinder without a pressure reducing valve. :?:

Isn't the little stove on the right, a bluet using an old style piercable cartridge (so stove has a big spikey thing that punctures cylinder): if so then no use on a large resealable one!!
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

SA_SA_SA is right. That stove and the big cylinder can't be used together.

The stove is for piercable canisters, which you can't take off until empty, at least without letting all of the gas out.

The big cylinder is for caravan-size gas hobs, and you need the correct valves and hoses.
rjb

Post by rjb »

andrew_s wrote:SA_SA_SA is right. That stove and the big cylinder can't be used together.

The stove is for piercable canisters, which you can't take off until empty, at least without letting all of the gas out.

The big cylinder is for caravan-size gas hobs, and you need the correct valves and hoses.

I've been told that the piercing pin just opens the valve on the cylinder, which is effectively a spring loaded ball bearing, so the real concern is whether the pressure is too high for the burner. Has anyone used one like this?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

All the steel cylinders like the 907 in the picture need to be used with a pressure valve. It is also not recommended using them with the smaller camping stoves. There is a special stove and a lantern that will fit directly on top of a 907 but I have not used one.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

rjb wrote:
andrew_s wrote:SA_SA_SA is right. That stove and the big cylinder can't be used together.

I've been told that the piercing pin just opens the valve on the cylinder, which is effectively a spring loaded ball bearing, so the real concern is whether the pressure is too high for the burner. Has anyone used one like this?

The piercing pin on the Bleuet is a big long sharp spike that punctures the metal C206 cart: the pin associated with a modern disposable resealable cartridge is a short small thing. 90x refillable cylinders need to be used with stoves with a suitable screw on fitting made for them (which differs from the fitting for screwon disposable resealable cartridges). Attempting to connect a Bleuet to a large refillable 90x might(almost certainly would?) damage the cylinders valve: which would be interesting in a bad way.....

You can get screw on stoves for the big cylinder though:
https://www.campingaz.com/in/p-23678-single-burner.aspx
https://www.campingaz.com/in/p-23695-super-carena174-r.aspx
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

rjb wrote:

technically it would work, theoretically the valve on the stove could be wound down enough to cook on and not give a 14 foot flame. the lamps just screw on without a regulator IIRC. so if you take off the blue cannister holder match the thread to a coupler and bit of pipe or the spike from a lamp.

wouldn't fancy carrying it on a bike though.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

seeing the v big versus small camping gaz cylinders it does occur to me that both contain liquid butane, so presumably at the same lowish pressure,very low in cold weather. Thus there isn't a pressure problem between the different systems, even if the big tanks are meant to be used with a regulator. That said, hardly worth bothering trying to adapt as the right type of stove to screw straight in to the big tank isn't really going to be costly.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

camping gas never had the calor type connectors if memories of hundreds of scout camps are in order. I don't think they had any isolation on the bottle end.