Trangia 27 or 25

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
landsurfer

Re: Trangia 27 or 25

Post by landsurfer »

Bought my Trangia in 1982 .... still in regular use ...
I have 2 burners, a replacement meths burner, the original was lost, and a tiny Coleman burner which fits within the pan structure.
For super lightweight camping i just take either the Meths or Coleman burner and one of the pans ....
Top Class Kit !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Gattonero wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:... the 27 it is too small to cook enough if you ride 70-80 miles each day on a loaded touring bike. ...
Sorry to all those up thread who say the smaller 27 Trangia, which was initially the one I was going to get, but was advised against, to get the larger 25 series instead. If you are that worried about losing weight because you are fat then of course you could get a 27 series but you will likely be cooking twice you could even get a Trangia Mini if you really want to lose weight but IME you will lose weight and can't eat enough...

I don't agree with this.
Having both the 25 and 27 pans and pots, my opnion is that the 25 it's convenient but overkill for one rider alone. It's not about the weight saving in the kit, but about being realistic: you can cook with no trouble -especially since the Trangia pots fit nicely in their windshield- on the 27 pots, I've cooked 400gr of couscous for two in the 0.9lt pot with no trouble at all. And that was a lot of food paired with Tofu and spinach.
Same for soup, I cannot see most of the cyclists eating over 700gr of soup alone :shock:
5-600gr of soup plus bread and one or two eggs and fruit is a very substantial meal, and can be easily cooked in the 27 pots and pans.
Besides, my opinion is that food should be eaten during all day, smaller meals more frequent rather than two or three massive meals that will take long to be digested. The only exception being the dinner, a good meal will help the body generating heat overnight, and IMO is better to have a two courses meal than a massive amount of one type of food only

Well you stick to your 27 series and I and the OP will stick to our 25 series.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:... the 27 it is too small to cook enough if you ride 70-80 miles each day on a loaded touring bike. ...
Sorry to all those up thread who say the smaller 27 Trangia, which was initially the one I was going to get, but was advised against, to get the larger 25 series instead. If you are that worried about losing weight because you are fat then of course you could get a 27 series but you will likely be cooking twice you could even get a Trangia Mini if you really want to lose weight but IME you will lose weight and can't eat enough...

I don't agree with this.
Having both the 25 and 27 pans and pots, my opnion is that the 25 it's convenient but overkill for one rider alone. It's not about the weight saving in the kit, but about being realistic: you can cook with no trouble -especially since the Trangia pots fit nicely in their windshield- on the 27 pots, I've cooked 400gr of couscous for two in the 0.9lt pot with no trouble at all. And that was a lot of food paired with Tofu and spinach.
Same for soup, I cannot see most of the cyclists eating over 700gr of soup alone :shock:
5-600gr of soup plus bread and one or two eggs and fruit is a very substantial meal, and can be easily cooked in the 27 pots and pans.
Besides, my opinion is that food should be eaten during all day, smaller meals more frequent rather than two or three massive meals that will take long to be digested. The only exception being the dinner, a good meal will help the body generating heat overnight, and IMO is better to have a two courses meal than a massive amount of one type of food only

Well you stick to your 27 series and I and the OP will stick to our 25 series.

That's not exactly the point: how much food do you cook per meal? Have you tried both 25 and 27 pots to make a comparison?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Pan fight!

There's a 25 and 27 tribe on CUK? Well if there was going to be a war about camping kit, it would be on here. [emoji3]

On the Seychelles one should consider cooking with the 27 and wearing a 25 for protection against the falling coconuts.
meic

Post by meic »

My money is on the fans of the 25s winning the fight. Because they will have an average weight of about 14 stone compared to the fans of the 27s who will be nearer to 9 stone weight on average.
A ratio that fits with the 900cc and 1.4L pots of the different model Trangias.
Yma o Hyd
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I'm 12 1/2st. and 200gr of pasta is more than enough for dinner, let alone the other food during the meal.
Like said before, I prefer to eat during all day (rye bread and peanut butter rule!) rather than having a massive meal and have to cook 1/2kg of pasta or 1lt of soup or 5 eggs for the dinner only. Not only a massive meal needs bigger pots/pans, but also needs more fuel to cook.
And I'm pretty sure than if I was always that hungry, my main problem would be to have enough food -and how to carry it- rather than pondering how convenient is a 1.4lt pot vs a 0.9lt one. When the body needs food, anything does, hunger beats fuss
meic

Post by meic »

And I'm pretty sure than if I was always that hungry, my main problem would be to have enough food -and how to carry it- rather than pondering how convenient is a 1.4lt pot vs a 0.9lt one.

The two problems are in no way mutually exclusive!

Not much point loading up with all that food if you dont have a pan to cook it in. Once the problem of carrying all that food is sorted out (big panniers) you are still left with a choice of which Trangia to have, solving the food transport problem is not such a challenge that it leaves you a gibbering wreck incapable of doing anything else with that food.
Yma o Hyd
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have a 27 (bought for backpacking) but it seemed small for cycle camping so I suspect a 25 is better/more convenient for that:

the difference in weight is not that much and could be narrowed by leaving the 180g 25 frying pan at home: fry in saucepan if at all /use lighter conventional lid.... I also wonder if one large saucepan and a nice kettle would be more civilised: I shall be trying this on a triangle. I also suspect accessing the simmer control is easier on a 25.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My 35 year old trangia has a meths and a gas burner ..... my choice which to use ...
My biggest problem is corrosion pitting on the cooking surface of the frying pan ....
Be more Mike.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

landsurfer wrote:My biggest problem is corrosion pitting on the cooking surface of the frying pan ....

The plain aluminium one? How does that happen?
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

What could be causing it, is meths from the burner.
When new you get a plastic bag to wrap the burner in, with a warning that if you dont the meths will cause the aluminium to corrode.
Of course it will not take long for that bag to wear holes in itself while bouncing around on your bike.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ok - folks - tips on where to put the burner.

Will it damage anything else?
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I keep the burner in a small ziplock bak, also because overnight I keep it in the sleeping bag me, so there's no need for "priming" on a cold morning. Quick cuppa! 8)
Have to say that I've stored a filled burner in this way for long time now, and didn't see any damage. My pans are the "hard anodized" type, less fragile than "non-stick" ones
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mine are the anodised early 80's type .... only the frying pan shows any sign of corrosion....
Be more Mike.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Pan fight!

There's a 25 and 27 tribe on CUK? Well if there was going to be a war about camping kit, it would be on here. [emoji3]

Now add in with or without Hilleberg tents and the fight will spill out into the streets.