Trangia 27 or 25

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
dlv13

Re: Trangia 27 or 25

Post by dlv13 »

a step sideways from this ,, how about a trangia triangle :D folds flat so takes hardly any room http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trangia-trian ... SwfIxZYS5f
will take any size pan big as you like . burn alcohol , gas or gel
Attachments
P1050387.JPG
P1050383.JPG
P1050384.JPG
P1050385.JPG
P1050386.JPG
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Can someone remind me whether you can keep unused meths in the burner?

I tend to pour it back in the bottle, concerned that it might cause issues with the o ring seal.

Do I need to bother?
Sweep
dlv13

Post by dlv13 »

yes you can leave the meths in , as long as lid is not buckled and rubber seal is good and burner head is reasonably clean it will not leak , one of the strengths of the trangia burner over more modern designs is being able to store meths inside the burner during transit, ive taken mine out for a day to make a lunch brew and only put enough meths inside the burner no need to take a fuel bottle ,,
, if not using for a while say between trips i empty out and remove the rubber seal from the lid and wash it all in soapy water ,rinse and air dry storing with the lid off , in the distant past i stored the burner for some months with meths inside and i am pretty sure it led to the rubber lid seal perishing . but during trips or just a few weeks there should be no problem leaving the meths inside the burner in my experience , the seal on my trangia is several years old and still good ,
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the reply div.

Other responses welcome of course.
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote:Can someone remind me whether you can keep unused meths in the burner?

I tend to pour it back in the bottle, concerned that it might cause issues with the o ring seal.

Do I need to bother?

From memory Trangia don;t recommend carrying a non-empty burner insidea packed trangia set (if it leaks and you have modern meths with artificial bitrex: it will taint your pans: apparently bitrex is much worse than the natural option (Pyridine) thought it too is bitter and so could taint the pans ). I don;t think I've come across bitrex meths it yet.
You could carry it separately.

NB I have a triangle windshield combo like above: it allows 25 size pans to pack down to 27 stove size. It also allows easier access to simmer control (but only allows it half closed of more).
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I never put the burner inside the pans, empty or full sa sa. It seems from the answer above that i can safely leave fuel inside the burner mid-trip but that it is best emptied at the end.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:Can someone remind me whether you can keep unused meths in the burner?

Do I need to bother?

I've left an original Trangia burner for over one year filled with Meths, no problems.
Small ziplock bags are a good idea to carry the burner, to prevent smell and scratches to the pots/pans
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have both the 25 and the 27. The 25 is fine for 2 people (or even 3, in a pinch), and that is what I take when I tour with my wife. The 27 is for my solo trips, and is absolutely fine. The pots are big enough for quite a bit of pasta or vegetables, and the frying pan is big enough for a decent size piece of fish or meat. The only time it is a bit tight is when you want to stir fry vegetables.
I like to tour light, so the 27 is already a bit of an indulgence - it is not the lightest system, but far more suitable to prepare proper meals than the various blowtorches and narrow upright pots with tiny frying pans that the ultralight crowd seems to prefer. I did get the more recent ultralight aluminium versions, with the hard anodized surface for easier dishwashing and for moderate non-stick effect. Only my 25 has the proper non stick frying pan, but those do not last that long (you can buy replacements, however), and they are some 50 grams heavier.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:Small ziplock bags are a good idea to carry the burner, to prevent smell and scratches to the pots/pans

Have taken to keeping mine in an old nivea cream jar. Screws shut, with the yellow plastic bag round the burner, a nice neat fit. Tried a Dove jar but the fineness of its threads made things a bit tricky.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The goal would be to find a metal jar that is just enough to keep the burner inside, also to work as a snuffer.
Today I had a near miss when I tried to extinguish my DYI burner by using the alluminium foil that I always put on the ground. Lesson learned: do never forget the snuffer home!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

willem jongman wrote:t. Only my 25 has the proper non stick frying pan, but those do not last that long (you can buy replacements, however), and they are some 50 grams heavier.

Have you tried the duossal with steel surface? I have bought a duossal frying pan for my 27 but haven't used it yet as it's not with me.As i have got older I have pretty much left behind the apparent 60s miracle of non-stick. Find it easier to just give pans a soak and scrub with an appropriate scouring pad. No surface to degrade.
Sweep
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I don't think they do those anymore (nor the titanium or the heavier ordinary aluminium). I never used them, if only because they were heavier and had been discontinued by the time I entered the market. Personally I don't care very much for non stick either (although for poaching fish...), but my wife likes it. I think the hard anodizing is a neat compromise: it is hard as a nail, and so smooth that in practice it is somewhat non stick (and cleans rather more easily, (probably like the duossal).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can't be alone in findng Trangia's naming covention confusing, can I? Why is the model with the bigger no. smaller than the other? (As noted elsewhere, beware trying to take the 25 set kettle with a 27 set - it won't nest! ;-))
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

simonineaston wrote:I can't be alone in findng Trangia's naming covention confusing, can I? Why is the model with the bigger no. smaller than the other? (As noted elsewhere, beware trying to take the 25 set kettle with a 27 set - it won't nest! ;-))

I agree. Most un-Scandinavian. On the labelling day, I believe the designers were supping on agaric infused reindeer urine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I have a 27 (bought for backpacking) but it seemed small for cycle camping so I suspect a 25 is better/more convenient for that:

I've dug out my daughter's 25 tonight and compared it to a pan I used to make porridge in. I would certainly like a 25 to avoid spillage and having to go to the top of the pan. But it's a hefty beast and I would have thought that going down to the 27 was a pretty obvious weight saving step for a solo cycle camper.

But I do like it so it looks like I'm about to purchase ... a 27.

A question:

I liked the look and feel of the aluminium (I don't usually) but has it changed on the newest sets (ultralight)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher