Trangia 27 or 25

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Trangia 27 or 25

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote:I can't be alone in findng Trangia's naming covention confusing, can I? Why is the model with the bigger no. smaller than the other? (As noted elsewhere, beware trying to take the 25 set kettle with a 27 set - it won't nest! ;-))

No, not alone. I have to give my brain a reminder kick every time I think about the issue. Even though I have both the 25 and 27.
Sweep
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The UltraLIght aluminium wil look the same as the older heavier stuff. If you don't mind the extra outlay and the slightly darker look (a bit like titanium), I would suggest going for the hard anodized version, however.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I have the hard anodized and IMO is the best choice, more resistant than the "non-stick" so can use metal cutlery and clean the pots/pans without trouble.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I have a 27 (bought for backpacking) but it seemed small for cycle camping so I suspect a 25 is better/more convenient for that:

Replying, horizon wrote:I've dug out my daughter's 25 tonight and compared it to a pan I used to make porridge in. I would certainly like a 25 to avoid spillage and having to go to the top of the pan. But it's a hefty beast and I would have thought that going down to the 27 was a pretty obvious weight saving step for a solo cycle camper.

But I do like it so it looks like I'm about to purchase ... a 27.

A question:

I liked the look and feel of the aluminium (I don't usually) but has it changed on the newest sets (ultralight)?

I use a (Tatonka) 25 size pan and Trangia triangle with alpkit concertina windshield, so this is closer to 27 size when packed.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonineaston wrote:I can't be alone in findng Trangia's naming covention confusing, can I? Why is the model with the bigger no. smaller than the other? (As noted elsewhere, beware trying to take the 25 set kettle with a 27 set - it won't nest! ;-))

AIUI the 25 refers to the next in a line of cookery sets that Trangia made in the 1950s building on the 24 etc that came before. It had nothing to do with size. A few years later came the 27 (smaller but the number still had nothing to do with size). I don't know what the 26 was or what happened to it. The miniTrangia (IIRC) is the 28.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

granville2 wrote: I have been a couple of times in the past few years and I used an old Trangia 25 which is converted to gas. Last year I had a look at options for reducing the weight of my kit and a getting a new smaller Trangia 27 seemed an easy way of loosing nearly 400 g.

I am wondering if the weight difference is due to your 25 being the old heavier aluminium and your 27 being the newer, lighter? There is about 575g difference between the old and new 25 but only about 200g between the current 25 and 27. If you had bought a new 25 you might have saved the weight anyway but still had the larger set.

Just a thought - not absolutely certain.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I no longer have data on the weight differences between old (heavier) and new UL models. But I don't think it was ever some 500 grams. The new series also has an optional (and rather more expensive) Hard Anodized surface. I really like that, as it is much easier to clean, and your food does not stick to the surface quite so easily. It is not the proper non stick, but it is quite an improvement, and far more robust (and lighter) than the proper non stick. In my experience, a 27 is big enough for quite serious solo cooking.
horizon

Post by horizon »

willem jongman wrote:I no longer have data on the weight differences between old (heavier) and new UL models. But I don't think it was ever some 500 grams.

Last night I weighed my daughter's 25 (with kettle, burner and handle inside and strap) and it was spot on 1.6kg. The Trangia website gives the weight of the 25-2 (today's UL equivalent with kettle) as 1025 kg. That's 575gm difference.

I had picked up a Trangia in a shop last week and was, as you may guess, a bit shocked at the difference. I am trying now to find the original packaging of my daughter's to see whether it was Duossal (if so it goes straight on to ebay to pay off the mortgage!) but I don't think it is - it's just the normal old aluminium.

If other people could weigh their 25s that would be great.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Wow
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

horizon wrote:
willem jongman wrote:I no longer have data on the weight differences between old (heavier) and new UL models. But I don't think it was ever some 500 grams.

Last night I weighed my daughter's 25 (with kettle, burner and handle inside and strap) and it was spot on 1.6kg. The Trangia website gives the weight of the 25-2 (today's UL equivalent with kettle) as 1025 kg. That's 575gm difference.

I had picked up a Trangia in a shop last week and was, as you may guess, a bit shocked at the difference. I am trying now to find the original packaging of my daughter's to see whether it was Duossal (if so it goes straight on to ebay to pay off the mortgage!) but I don't think it is - it's just the normal old aluminium.

If other people could weigh their 25s that would be great.

I use the 27 and the claimed weights are pretty much correct. I don't mind the +-5gr
horizon

Post by horizon »

Gattonero wrote:I use the 27 and the claimed weights are pretty much correct. I don't mind the +-5gr

The claimed weights have always been correct - it is the weights that have changed dramatically due to the introduction of ultra-lightweight aluminium in 2005. Most people won't realise this because they either have the old set or the new set but aren't usually in a situation to compare as they never hold both.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

horizon wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I use the 27 and the claimed weights are pretty much correct. I don't mind the +-5gr

The claimed weights have always been correct - it is the weights that have changed dramatically due to the introduction of ultra-lightweight aluminium in 2005. Most people won't realise this because they either have the old set or the new set but aren't usually in a situation to compare as they never hold both.

Mine is a new 27 hard anodized. I have a duossal frypan that is heavier that the HA one, never weighted the duossal but I can say that is very good for scrambled eggs! :D
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

For Spain I'd hesitate to take camping kit at all. I've found campsites very few and far between, I've ridden Gib to Madrid to Hendaye, and Santander to Santiago, and Seville to Santiago. Hardly any campsites - and stealth camping is very hard as the wire fences go for miles and miles. If you follow a pilgrim's route you can stay in dorm accommodation for about 7 euros a night. Spain is too hot in the summer for camping and too cold in the winter, so hardly anyone does it so there are hardly any campsites. Outdoor shops sell walking kit not camping kit. Harry Dobson (I think) wrote books about this - he advised not taking camping kit. Hotels are about €35 a room, which between two people is about the same as a UK youth hostel.
As for a stove, a small Pocket Rocket gas stove and a metal pint mug would be enough to boil water. Menu of the day is about €8 on the pilgrims' routes.
YMMV.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

With a 27 I could just about cook enough sauce/veg/protein and pasta in the 2 pans (inner for pasta/water)
but combining them when cooked into the outer made it full to brim, and it cooled quickly: while being eaten.....perhaps
Trangia should make a slightly plastic tub that outer can nest when packed to solve both problems...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Given the large premium of buying a Trangia over a clone, it seems a bit mean/parsimonious of them that the basic 27-1 or 25-1 models do not to at least have the larger outer pan in nicer HA, allowing easier cleaned general cooking in that and water boiling/pasta cooking in the plain alu inner pan. (I never use the lid as a fry pan: those that do could buy the full HA pan version). Buying the HA pans separately is very expensive....