Trangia 27 or 25

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Trangia 27 or 25

Post by Gattonero »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Given the large premium of buying a Trangia over a clone, it seems a bit mean/parsimonious of them that the basic 27-1 or 25-1 models do not to at least have the larger outer pan in nicer HA, allowing easier cleaned general cooking in that and water boiling/pasta cooking in the plain alu inner pan. (I never use the lid as a fry pan: those that do could buy the full HA pan version). Buying the HA pans separately is very expensive....

Though is true that a replacement HA pan can be bought for a tenner, that is not very expensive IMO
https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/1144 ... lsrc=aw.ds
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Gattonero wrote:...Though is true that a replacement HA pan can be bought for a tenner, that is not very expensive IMO

No, that is a non-stick (ie plastic coated) pan: the tougher HA pans are now at least twice that price when bought individually...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Gattonero wrote:...Though is true that a replacement HA pan can be bought for a tenner, that is not very expensive IMO

No, that is a non-stick (ie plastic coated) pan: the tougher HA pans are now at least twice that price when bought individually...

uh, you're right! And I've checked when I bought in 2015 it was £13 for the HA pan, they've certainly gone up in price. Brexit? :?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Gattonero wrote:...
uh, you're right! And I've checked when I bought in 2015 it was £13 for the HA pan, they've certainly gone up in price. Redacted? :?

No, the HAs were expensive before Redacted and got more expensive before it...
I try to avoid mentioning the Redacted word on my unrelated threads, :)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I bought a new HA inner pan for my trangia 27 but it doesn't fit properly inside my original (from c1989) outer pan. Its such a tight fit that it is quite difficult to get it back out again and scrapes some of the coating off the outside in the process. :(
I wish I'd bought a replacement outer pan instead.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Gattonero wrote:...
uh, you're right! And I've checked when I bought in 2015 it was £13 for the HA pan, they've certainly gone up in price. Redacted? :?

No, the HAs were expensive before Redacted and got more expensive before it...
I try to avoid mentioning the Redacted word on my unrelated threads, :)

£13 is not cheap but not bloody expensive either, considering is a product that will last if kept well
horizon

Post by horizon »

This 27-2 went on ebay recently for £54. The current new price is £70 but you can get then for £45 - £50 brand new. Anyone like to proffer a view on this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trangia-27-Co ... 1438.l2649

New:
https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/t ... ith-kettle
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Because one is more likely to stir in the deeper pans, is better to have those HA or plain allumnium, the non-stick ones are too fragile to be used with spoons, IMO.
The frypan is a different story, better to have it HA or non-stick. Then obviously depends on what is the food requirements of the user.

Milletts is selling the 27-1 at £46, a non-stick frypan adds £10 and works as separate vessel, or makes the cooking set ideal for two (two deep pans and two shallow frypans)
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

But an HA 27 pan (ie outer 1 litre) is now approx 20pounds): if bundled with the basic set it wouldn't cost trangia that amount extra and the purchaser would get the quality they expect ...

I never use the lid as a frypan :)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

There are umpteen different combinations on offer with more and less HA components, and it is important to compare like with like. The HA surface is expensive, so the most expensive version is all HA, even the windshield. The pots and the pan only in HA is cheaper, and no HA is the cheapest. Personally I think for most people the most useful version is the all HA, apart from the lid/frying pan. Get that in non stick, but be prepared to replace it every few years. After an earlier Trangia 25 with just a few HA things, I now have one that is all HA with the lid in non stick, for trips with my wife. For my solo trips where weight matters more I have a Trangia 27 with the frying pan too in HA rather than non stick, saving some 50 grams.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I don't know if they still do them but will assume that they do - aldi/lidl did supercheap clones. I used to stock up on them for scouts as the kids destroy trangias and I could buy 8 cheapo ones for the price of one trangia. we kept the real ones for the D of E kids. not HA but when they are only 6 quid I'm sure you'll get by,

without going all end of the world on people it's a good purchase to stick away for picnics, BBQs, power cuts or even touring if you aren't sure. Trangia cooking is easy to do but hard to do well IMO.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

willem jongman wrote:There are umpteen different combinations on offer with more and less HA components, ..

I wasn't suggesting an extra official option, just that they replace the base plain UL model with one with the modest improvement of the outer (cooking) pan in HA, on the presumption that others are like me and view the inner as for boiling pasta == easy clean stuff and the outer pan for cooking sauce&veg&protein; I never use the lid as a frypan so UL is OK for that....
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

crazydave789 wrote:I don't know if they still do them but will assume that they do - aldi/lidl did supercheap clones. I used to stock up on them for scouts as the kids destroy trangias and I could buy 8 cheapo ones for the price of one trangia. we kept the real ones for the D of E kids. not HA but when they are only 6 quid I'm sure you'll get by,

without going all end of the world on people it's a good purchase to stick away for picnics, BBQs, power cuts or even touring if you aren't sure. Trangia cooking is easy to do but hard to do well IMO.

No offense, but I'd rather teach the kids to keep things in order to make them last, not to supply them with stuff that can be disposed.
After all, the future belongs to them and if they carry on by disposing more and more stuff, it will end badly.
It only needs common sense. If they buckled a frypan by cooling it in water, let them use it for looong time so to learn the lesson :mrgreen:
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Gattonero wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:I don't know if they still do them but will assume that they do - aldi/lidl did supercheap clones. I used to stock up on them for scouts as the kids destroy trangias and I could buy 8 cheapo ones for the price of one trangia. we kept the real ones for the D of E kids. not HA but when they are only 6 quid I'm sure you'll get by,

No offense, but I'd rather teach the kids to keep things in order to make them last, not to supply them with stuff that can be disposed.
After all, the future belongs to them and if they carry on by disposing more and more stuff, it will end badly.
It only needs common sense. If they buckled a frypan by cooling it in water, let them use it for looong time so to learn the lesson :mrgreen:

tried that endless times, but you only have to see what people leave behind at a festival to see how they value stuff. trangias would not be returned, be incomplete because pans would be chucked instead of scrubbed, they would get loaned and not returned, or left to leak and wreck the set. the cheapo ones are the best option without question.

we still expected the cheap kits to come back as we didn't tell them what they cost but we could absorb the loss easier, same with tents, the vango force tens were too heavy and too expensive to replace with expensive tents so we bought cheap and repeated the order to keep us in spare parts.

that was why we kept the good kits for the proper expeditions but kids only seem to value stuff after they have ruined it. being handed the mouldy cookset they failed to clean three weeks before educated them better.

on the subject of valuing kit - I audited the york university D of E kit one year, they were given a big set up grant 5 years before and had 50 trangia sets. I soon saw the pattern, they would take out a new set and just sling it back then take another new set the next time - 3/4s of the stock was wrecked trangias, tents, sleeping bags, water proofs etc....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Given the large premium of buying a Trangia over a clone, it seems a bit mean/parsimonious of them that the basic 27-1 or 25-1 models do not to at least have the larger outer pan in nicer HA, allowing easier cleaned general cooking in that and water boiling/pasta cooking in the plain alu inner pan. (I never use the lid as a fry pan: those that do could buy the full HA pan version). Buying the HA pans separately is very expensive....

They shoukd do a set with one pan alu and the other HA though of course it would complicate shopping for shops. I have a HA set but have bought a separate alu pan to replace one of the HAs as i like using it for certain things. Can also be used as a general purpose bowl. The separate alu pan cost me about a fiver. The cheapest approach overall in think for someone who wants a mixed set. The other HA pan makes a handy spare.

Edit. I don't use the HA frying pan as a lid. I use the trangia alu plate for that. And in any case now use a duossal frying pan. My set is a right old mongrel, but of course mongrels are often better.
Last edited by Sweep on 26 Oct 2017, 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep