OEX Phoxx 1 Man Backpacking Tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: OEX Phoxx 1 Man Backpacking Tent

Post by Gattonero »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Grarea wrote:Crikey, that is a tiny guy in the GO diagram isn't it?

By my reckoning he is either 3 foot tall or way off in the distance.
Somewhat misleading?

I didn't miss your super observant skills Silly art staff!

Yes the OEX only has 70cm headroom. My Eureka Spitfire 1 has 100cm which makes a world of difference. But £30 more. Hmmm

£30 for being able to move inside the tent, change your clothes, etc.?
Bargain! :wink:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not seen this variety like the others posted here , 90 int hight 1.7 kgs, ideally you need as said 100 high-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Blade-1 ... SwdGxXIjML
vango blade.jpg

Two man tent probably add more bang for your buck, unless you are real stealth camping then finding just a foot print for a solo tent can be hard especially in the dark.

Edited-

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/16499 ... green.html
The peak 3.1 pro is 1.73 kg and reduced to £120 from £200, the one posted up thread is std and 1.9 kg?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

IMO, the Peak3.1 at full price is a rip-off. For £180 you can get a tent made in Scotland that is made with top-notch materials and weights less than 1kg :mrgreen:

The Vango is a good deal, though is tunnel-type while the Blacks one is side-entrance, the latter gives more freedom and easy to get in and out and better views.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: ideally you need as said 100 high

Just stating a number doesn't make much sense. It's also about how high the trunk & head of the person trying to sit up is, and the context of that headroom. So, for example, a 100 cm high pyramid will probably have much less effective headroom than something like the 90cm high Akto, because the Akto's a hoop so there's a moderate area where there's almost full height, while a pyramid only has the full height at a point and that's got a pole in the middle of it.

Tunnels tend to score best for this, but as always sitting inside a real example is the best way to decide whether there's enough height in the right place. And if it's for more than one person, make sure everyone can sit up at the same time if needed.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
OK totally agree :wink:

Coffin shaped tent with sitting height gives best practical space with minimum foot print...
Two person will probably be a tunnel tent.
Ridge tents seem to appeal to the minimalist...........especially if it has no ends :mrgreen: .....Brrrrrr :lol:

Ridge tent is impractical as it might have max headroom but you wipe your hair on the sides.

Crawl in, lie down, sit up and turn around..................then crawl out and look at another tent in the shop........................

The much copied coffin tent (original?) that eureka spitfire and tiger paws is modelled on it still hard to beat, I have both :)

I am ignoring cooking for now as its always a bit controversial, I prefer to cook outside, If I cant then I don't.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The problem I see with "coffin" style tents is that they rely a lot on the poles, and where the poles bend is a weak point.
IMO a "side arch" design has several advantages
1- very simple to pitch (just one pole to slide in)
2- stable as the only pole can be bolted to the ground and guyed all along
3- can give ample side access
4- easy to get (or make) an additional porch

The downsides can be
1- depending on the fabric, this can sag and/or may be difficult to adjust
2- in strong winds the back can bow a lot, though this can be a common problem
3- on small footprint design, like a 1-man tent, a good headroom means steep walls so the apex is not roomy (like said in the post above)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
robing wrote:Anyone got any experience of this tent? Looks ok for £60 from Go Outdoors. Pros - light, nice low profile so good in the wind, good ventilation and HH 5000. Cons - prob a bit cramped for anything other than sleeping in. Shame it's black.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-phoxx-1 ... nt-p360400

If I got That right its now £39.99
At 1.58 kgs its ok but short at 70 cm, not sure this is packed or trail weight, alu poles though.
robing

Post by robing »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
robing wrote:Anyone got any experience of this tent? Looks ok for £60 from Go Outdoors. Pros - light, nice low profile so good in the wind, good ventilation and HH 5000. Cons - prob a bit cramped for anything other than sleeping in. Shame it's black.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-phoxx-1 ... nt-p360400

If I got That right its now £39.99
At 1.58 kgs its ok but short at 70 cm, not sure this is packed or trail weight, alu poles though.

Good price and good for wild camping. Probably a bit small for a long camping tour.
horizon

Post by horizon »

In the illustration there's quite a large gas canister and what looks like a folding table. What's more, it's recommended for festivals. I cannot imagine a worse tent for festivals so there might be some misunderstanding on the role and purpose of this tent. It seems ideal for backpacking but I'm not sure why cyclists would go for it: for another 300 gm you can have a proper tent. That might be critical to a walker but that weight difference means the ability to sit up or not, store gear and have decent HH on both fly and groundsheet.

BTW have a look at the silhouette of the man standing next to the tent and look at where 70 cm comes up to on him. :shock: Obviously a tent for leprechauns. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Speaking from experience, we followed the TDF around for a week every year. My mate has one of these tents. Quite waterproof and quick to pitch, but his complaint was it just wasn’t big enough for him and 2 relatively small panniers.

My experience with expedition style tents has been if it says 1 man - that’s quite literally what it means. 2 man really means 1 man plus gear, and so on. Of course it depends on how big you are and how much gear you’ve got! Good luck!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I came across this post by accident while searching for the tent online.
I have a 1.5 kg tent which has a full 1 m of sitting hieght.
So I'm not suggesting that people buy the tent just saying that the tent that started the post has been reduced I think from what it was originally.

Obviously a tent with a reduced height also has reduced capacity in length before your head or feet hit the sides.

This design is probably one of the best, The shape and not the actual tent.
https://adventuregearzone.com/product/n ... nd-1-tent/
DFC978B7-8C86-488A-9BC1-E35AA250FE0F.jpeg

The only site I could find which gave the actual height of tent at 85CM probably external to? carefully omitted from most sites.
Weight is 1.8kgs.

This on eBay for 20 quid or less.
DBCBC719-3065-47E0-A8A8-341434CC2E8E.jpeg
1B27FE5C-2DAD-40E2-8F97-54AF58B5C64F.jpeg
B6F9C1E0-FF48-4C30-9404-6B0B599396D2.jpeg

High and light, Actual details are a bit sparse like is the inner tent separate or id it sewn into the flysheet, Poles are fibreglass, pegs are probably steel, I have seen poles aluminium And pegs for about £20.
That would make a pretty light shelter that you can set up for less than 50 quid.
robing

Post by robing »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Not seen this variety like the others posted here , 90 int hight 1.7 kgs, ideally you need as said 100 high-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Blade-1 ... SwdGxXIjML
vango blade.jpg

Two man tent probably add more bang for your buck, unless you are real stealth camping then finding just a foot print for a solo tent can be hard especially in the dark.

Edited-

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/16499 ... green.html
The peak 3.1 pro is 1.73 kg and reduced to £120 from £200, the one posted up thread is std and 1.9 kg?

The Blade 100 is my tent! It's been a great little tent. Perfect for cycle touring, small and lightweight to pack, but surprisingly roomy with a decent porch. You can sit up inside it and it's not claustrophobic. Only downside is as quite a high profile not great in very high winds. I was once caught in a freakish storm in Spain and pole snapped. This was exceptional though, otherwise it's been fine in 5 years of touring.