Tents for £200

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
honesty

Tents for £200

Postby honesty » 17 May 2017, 10:58pm

I'm looking for a new tent (my old one was a 4.8kg euro hike... and I have been less than willing to cycle camp with It! ) I want to spend a maximum of £200, preferably less, have an extended porch, and preferably weigh in at around 3kg.

So far I can see 3 tents that would meet my requirements:
Vango Pulsar 200+
Wild Country hoolie 2 etc
Robons voyager 2ex
(Theres also the vango force 10 xenon UL 2+ on offer at go outdoors, but at 290 it blows the budget somewhat)

Has anyone had experience with any of these tents, or can you suggest alternatives?

Tangled Metal

Re: Tents for £200

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 May 2017, 11:20pm

Our hoolie 3etc had a snapped pole and failed stitching in a few places after about 4 nights use. It went back as soon as we got back from holiday.

We were probably unlucky but it has put us right off wild country tents.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 May 2017, 11:21pm

Check out a shop called outdoor action in Blackburn. You can buy online. It's often got good deals on for tents of all kind.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 18 May 2017, 3:38am

Tangled Metal wrote:Check out a shop called outdoor action in Blackburn. You can buy online. It's often got good deals on for tents of all kind.

yes a good shop.

Their online prices are often cheaper than instore I think.
Sweep

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 18 May 2017, 8:19am

But in-store you can get extra discount if you ask the right person. They're usually the ones sat in the office just up the stairs from the checkout IIRC.

It's an interesting building they're in. A real twisting path up through the building to view all the tents. They're pitched inside and form quite a large tent showroom when you add it all up.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 18 May 2017, 8:50am

Yes, i have asked for the online price once when I was in the shop. Mainly as I was peeved my last visit before when I was talked out of buying a Trangia, then on offer at half price, with a totally specious argument about their relative merits vis a vis a sophisticated multinfuel stove. They redeemed themselves on my last visit with some good advice. I always visit when in Blackburn. A nice old fashioned shop where you can find most things you want. Have the impression that they pitch less smaller tents these days
Sweep

honesty

Postby honesty » 18 May 2017, 9:37am

Used to like going to Up and Under when I lived in Cardiff for much the same reason. Knowledgeable staff and decent prices.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 18 May 2017, 9:48am

Sweep wrote:Yes, i have asked for the online price once when I was in the shop. Mainly as I was peeved my last visit before when I was talked out of buying a Trangia, then on offer at half price, with a totally specvious argument about their relative merits vis a vis a sophisticated multinfuel stove. They redeemed themselves on my last visit with some good advice on tarps. I always visit when in Blackburn. A nice old fashioned shop where you can find most things you want. Have the impression that they pitch less smaller tents these days
Sweep

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 18 May 2017, 11:53am

Having used and done tests on quite a few tents, for various reasons I would dismiss your first choices and they are not as good as this:
http://www.awnings.co.uk/coleman-caucas ... -tent.html This is a real bargain and with shock cord the full length footprint from the Pulsar will fit.

If weight is purely your consideration the spend a little more and get this: http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/vango-x ... o_s=gplauk
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

honesty

Postby honesty » 18 May 2017, 1:23pm

That's a very good price for what looks like a very good tent.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 18 May 2017, 2:23pm

I have a Caucus 3 model here that I originally got for my grandson and will bring it to the York Rally if you want to have a good look at one. Also a friend of mine who I tour with often has the Caucus 2 model, and he likes it. Both have been fitted with full length Pulsar footprints using shock cord and they stay permanently in place when pitching and packing up. The only drawback I have found is the tent bags are a tight fit so with the footprint attached it is difficult to roll the tent up tight enough to get it in the bag. Instead I just us a cheapo 30 litre bag brought off ebay as an alternative.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

Ivor Tingting

Postby Ivor Tingting » 19 May 2017, 4:45am

Consider the MSR Elixir 2 list price £225 but this place are doing it for £191.

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/MSR-Elixi ... 148001.asp

It is a genuine 2 person tent, lots of space owing to the unique MSR pole design, two large porches either side for storage of panniers, no climbing over your other half to get out in the night and space to store panniers. Also it's self supporting and you can pitch inner only and look up at the stars on warm clear nights, obviously the latter does not apply in the UK. It weighs in at a fraction under 2 kg.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.

hamster

Postby hamster » 22 May 2017, 9:44am

That indeed looks a really good choice - plus the fly & groundsheet superlight option looks interesting

thornie1543

Postby thornie1543 » 28 May 2017, 1:30pm

I had a wildcountry tent for years and it was brilliant so when it came to a replacement I thought I would be loyal to them,bad move,the new tent had a snapped pole after a few nights and the stitching was terrible,gutted to see how much the quality had dropped,or maybe I was just unlucky.

PH

Postby PH » 28 May 2017, 7:32pm

Ivor Tingting wrote:Consider the MSR Elixir 2 list price £225 but this place are doing it for £191.

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/MSR-Elixi ... 148001.asp

That looks my sort of tent, pity it's only the grey version available at that price. I may take another look when I finally retire my similar ten year old TN Solar 2.2.
I much prefer to sleep across the door and the two door design allows one porch for kit leaving the other clear. The design also offers more headroom in a greater area when compared to a tunnel tent, though at the cost of easily added porch space.