[SOLVED] Cycling in the South-West: Cheaper camp sites?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Winfried

[SOLVED] Cycling in the South-West: Cheaper camp sites?

Post by Winfried »

Hello

I intended to ride around Wessex this summer for a couple of weeks, but noticed the camp sites are ridiculously expensive: £20-30 for just a single pitch/tent per night? :shock:

So I was wondering…
  • if there are cheapers sites where I could stay
  • if the prices are more reasonable in September without too much change in the weather (camping in the rain/cold too often ain't much fun)

Thank you.
Last edited by Winfried on 20 May 2017, 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Cycling in the South-West: Cheaper camp sites?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Lots of Warmshowers hosts. Mendip Camp was £6 the last time I went through. £20-£30 sounds like those premium sites with dedicated websites. I have never paid more than £15 down in the SW.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Most of the prices listed are for a pitch which includes 2 adults and a car.

In my experience of touring in the SW you turn up on your bike, tell them you have a small tent and they make up a price on the spot - usually £10-£15 at the most, often cheaper. I avoid the large commercial sites as they can often be inflexible and of course very busy.

The link below contains a real mixture of sites, perhaps ring in advance and get an idea of price and work your tour around the cheaper places.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/count ... uth%20West
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Thanks much!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

FWIW, last year I did the Wessex Ridgeway and stayed on a Giant Head campsite, that is right on the trail, the price was ok!
It's close to the Cerne Abbas giant.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.giantshead.co.uk/
andrew_s

Re: [SOLVED] Cycling in the South-West: Cheaper camp sites?

Post by andrew_s »

Camping and Caravan Club sites have a "backpacker" rate that applies to cycle campers, and which is normally £8-9 for non-members
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

andrew_s wrote:Camping and Caravan Club sites have a "backpacker" rate that applies to cycle campers, and which is normally £8-9 for non-members

I've seen many of those "Camping and Caravan Club" places, could never understand if they will allow the humble cyclo tourist with his small tent to pitch for one night?
They seem to be exclusively for the 12ftx12ft 6-berth tent with awnings or caravans, staying there for a week or more; would they have a pitch place small enough for us? :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Thanks for the clarification. I also wondered if those Camping and Caravan Club sites offered 1) cheaper rates for cyclists/backpackers and 2) single-night stays even to non-members of the club.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The C&CC have two sorts of site:

1. Normal commercial sites, the same as any other. Available to anyone, generally pretty well run, and won't shoehorn in excessive numbers of people. For cycle campers, there's the backpackers rate, and an undertaking that you won't be turned away, even if the site is otherwise full.
Members get a cheaper rate - only £1.50 - £2 off the backpacker rate, but enough off car/caravan camping that you'll recover the £40 or so membership within 4-5 nights or so.

2. Certificated locations. These are the small, officially members only, places that you'll see little plates for on a country ride. They may be just for caravans (i.e. no toilet block). I believe that "members only" is for insurance reasons, and that you may well be allowed to stay if you ask.
As a cycle camper, access to these is probably the best reason to stump up the membership.

There's also the Caravan Club, which is caravans/motorhomes only. They have a similar system of certificated locations, so read what it actually says on the sign plate.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Well, lying here in my Vaude Power Lizard tent above Boscastle with simply stunning scenery I've paid no more than £10 a night on what will be a 7 day / 6 night tour round the south west coastline, including power to charge gadgets, cheapest being just outside Fowey, at £4.80 for cyclists. St Just YHA is £10 for members and another setting that is gorgeous. In fact, accommodation is £50 for the 6 nights, which compares well to the £77 return rail fare from York to Bristol with a senior rail card.

This seems good value to me.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
ossie

Post by ossie »

Chat Noir wrote:Well, lying here in my Vaude Power Lizard tent above Boscastle with simply stunning scenery I've paid no more than £10 a night on what will be a 7 day / 6 night tour round the south west coastline, including power to charge gadgets, cheapest being just outside Fowey, at £4.80 for cyclists. St Just YHA is £10 for members and another setting that is gorgeous. In fact, accommodation is £50 for the 6 nights, which compares well to the £77 return rail fare from York to Bristol with a senior rail card.

This seems good value to me.

and you have the weather to go with it :wink:

Today in Dorset was the first day of cycling since last Sept where I felt hot and all summery on my 60 mile loop....and some tan lines to go with it. Its been a long time coming.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Can't wait to be there :D