1 season sleeping bags?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: 1 season sleeping bags?

Post by pjclinch »

Though there are numerous occasions where a roll-top closure is an unnecessary faff (and unnecessary expense). Unless you're in danger of being submerged just folding over the top of an open sack is typically all that's needed within a pannier or rucksack. A dirty laundry bag, for example, doesn't really need state-of-the-art waterproofing.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Yes what I'm thinking of a mesh-sack is for laundry or a towel, that needs to "breath".

Rolltop closures are arguably easier to make. In my stuffsacks I use normal webbing and a strip of plastic from a bottle of juice as a stiffener
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My Dad said that plastic bags were a great invention.
We use them all the time, they are lightweight, compact but if you want them to be reliable and lightweight then there is always a risk they will damage.
I have some heavyweight bags that I cut down from 20 kilo grain bags that line my panniers but only in training mode.
Everything inside is bagged at least once again.

Anything that has to stay dry like down bags / emergency clothes, need to be at least double bagged if you know bad weather is present, more so if you are in remote places other than roads where you can get help, so a sleeping bag you may well either place your waterproof bag in another bag / or bag it before it goes into proper bag.

Plastic bags can be transparent, that's a tough act to follow.
Who does not take spare plastic bags in one description or another.

Cheap plastic bags are always a good thing to have.
Toggle top closure bags have been around a long time like rucksack closure under the flap.

Course it always different in bad weather than nice shots of gear in the sun :)
My experience of moor walking which always started in January.
Bin liners were a favourite 40 years ago, not much more to choose from.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Just bought a MontBell Down Hugger ( japanese import) ,which I used last night for a bivi, in Millers dale in the Peaks. Undoubtedly a light and quality one season bag, but really apart from a few grams, not much more of an improvement than the, currently c. £40 Snugpak Traveller at a tiny fraction of the price, that I had previously used for 20 years. Another all too common case of the massive hike in cost which is disproportionate to the increase in utility. Oh well.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

So unbranded polyester insulation is the same as 900fp down? Don't think so!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
My Dad said that plastic bags were a great invention.
We use them all the time, they are lightweight, compact but if you want them to be reliable and lightweight then there is always a risk they will damage.
I have some heavyweight bags that I cut down from 20 kilo grain bags that line my panniers but only in training mode.

Plastic bags are 100% waterproof as long as properly closed.
But they can be ripped pretty easy only by their contents.
Fabrics of the same weight are not as waterproof but last longer.

Using a plastic bag inside or outside a water-resistant fabric bag is the best option.

"rubble" bags can be a bit heavy, but are handy for many situations. Or simply to sit down on wet grass.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I don't think you can get them anymore but the Quechua sleepmover from decathlon is an interesting bit of kit. for years I packed a down jacket to use as a quilt/camp jacket with an outdoor scene 1 season bag. all I needed.

the sleepmover has a tight hood and sleeves with hand pockets in the end of them like a baby grow, a split zipped front that goes to the waist and a drawcorded bottom so you can pull it up around your middle and wear it like a parka or just stick your feet out of the end while cooking dinner. From my army days I still have a german army sniper bag that is bombproof and rubberised for use as a bivvy but it is heavy.

it says rated to 5 degrees but I'm always too hot in it because the outer is made from waterproof fabric so at a push you can cycle home in it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrWKKdow5hs[/youtube]

I haven't tried to have a pee in it yet though
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

crazydave789 wrote:I don't think you can get them anymore but the Quechua sleepmover from decathlon is an interesting bit of kit. for years I packed a down jacket to use as a quilt/camp jacket with an outdoor scene 1 season bag. all I needed.

the sleepmover has a tight hood and sleeves with hand pockets in the end of them like a baby grow, a split zipped front that goes to the waist and a drawcorded bottom so you can pull it up around your middle and wear it like a parka or just stick your feet out of the end while cooking dinner. From my army days I still have a german army sniper bag that is bombproof and rubberised for use as a bivvy but it is heavy.

it says rated to 5 degrees but I'm always too hot in it because the outer is made from waterproof fabric so at a push you can cycle home in it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrWKKdow5hs[/youtube]

I haven't tried to have a pee in it yet though

Surely interesting and convenient. But that is a lot of fabric so weight and bulk go very much the same as a sleeping bag, though you have the added versatility of using it outside as long as it's fairly dry
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Gattonero wrote:
Surely interesting and convenient. But that is a lot of fabric so weight and bulk go very much the same as a sleeping bag, though you have the added versatility of using it outside as long as it's fairly dry

no bulkier than a camp coat and 2/3 season bag or just a three season bag, its very light. the quest has always been for multi use and I still have a pile bag with arm zips so you can get a brew going or read a book without losing much heat. I think it uses less fabric than a bag as it is a snug fit all around the body so you don't wear your full ensemble to bed. my only issue with it is the bright blue trimming,

my german bag used to go over the top of everything as you never really sleep in the army for more than 4 hours on the trot, when it was time to get up you unzipped the knees and pushed your arms out if you had pulled them in - you looked like a narnian beaver but it saved weight and kept me warm from norway to saudi arabia, I even managed to lead a section attack wearing one with webbing over the top. the drivers loved them as in recce platoons we slept ready to move. it rolled up into a waterproof bundle you could strap to anything,

popular with the festival crowd for a while as well. I keep meaning to change the rubberised outer and make a goretex one for it.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I'm not saying it's bulkier, but that it gets close to that point of weight and space of a sleeping bag.
Depending on the fabric and insulation, it may not be compressed as much as a sleeping bag of the same temperature rating? The weak point will be the fabric, I'd say.
It's an interesting concept.