1 season sleeping bags?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 1 season sleeping bags?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tangled Metal wrote:Looking for a lightweight sleeping bag for summer use on a cycle tour plus other times. Rated to +6°C with as low a weight and bulk size as possible. Also a reasonable price.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/sleeping-bags-c88/featherlite-sleeping-bag-p2448

Back on the OP's original question, its a personal choice on down v synthetic.
But in the quest of compactness and weigh which go hand in hand mean that sometimes I shiver and some times I sweat and both in one night.
You will find it hard to work during the day and always be comfortable, cool nights are always better, summer tends to be a fight with being draft free and not too hot, more difficult with a summer tent / tarp.

P.S. Compression bags normally come out at about 100gs.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

You can make your own compression bag that weights less than half of that :mrgreen:

By the way, as long as we keep in mind that everyone will generate a different heat output during the sleep (thus requiring more or less insulation), the 1-2 season sleeping bag can be enhanced with the use of a thermal bivy bag.

I have used the one from AMK, the "SOL Escape Lite", and I can say that it does indeed work, ain't no BS.
At the time of this picture I still had a cheap "department store" summer sleeping bag that despite the weight next to 1kg is probably rated to +10ºc. Luckily a friend gave me that thermal bivy, and after using it and being able to sleep waarm and cosy in 0ºc (the tarp was all frosty in the morning) I bought my own.
That thing is so small and light (I think is 150gr and packs the size of a can of Pepsi) that I would always carry it with me whenever the weather can be a bit unpredictable: if stays good I'll be fine with the lightweight quilt, if it gets colder I would tuck into the bivvy.
Compared to the sleeping bag liner, the Bivvy will block the wind and light rain, so it's a big advantage. The drawback is that is not suitable in temperatures over 15-20ºc.

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Silk PJs as mentioned above once or twice.

Sound interesting.

Where would one get such things - I suspect big savings are available online globally.

No need for them to be monogrammed.

And since we have veered into the silky world, does anyone have any washing tips?

My Decathlon silk sleeping bag liner can supposedly be machinewashed but it does look rather delicate and my washing machine can be somewhat brutal.
Sweep
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sweep wrote:Silk PJs as mentioned above once or twice.

Sound interesting.

Where would one get such things - I suspect big savings are available online globally.
Not PJs because they would be a bit baggy if pressed into service as underwear, but silk thermal underwear such as https://www.patra.com/products/MSMJ/men ... Gwod_ToLNg Not a recommendation, just a handy link. I bought mine 15 years ago in an outdoor activity/camping shop. Washing, I know is supposed to be gentle and all that, but I just throw mine in the washing machine at low temperature or just wash them by hand. No special regime.
PH

Post by PH »

Mine are traditional pajamas (monogrammed :wink:) they were a gift and not intended for camping, I just thought I'd give them a go and they worked well.
If I was buying, I'd probably look at the long johns and T shirt, though I'd go for pure silk rather than the mix in those linked above.
I wash all dedicates by hand, with a bit of pure soap, probably unnecessarily but it's easy enough and something to do while listening to the radio. Pure silk also has the advantage of drying very quickly.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Yes, mine are pure silk too. I just had problems finding a suitable link without spending too long at it, so ended up with the blend ones.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:
And since we have veered into the silky world, does anyone have any washing tips?

My Decathlon silk sleeping bag liner can supposedly be machinewashed but it does look rather delicate and my washing machine can be somewhat brutal.

I have the Decathlon silk liner - just gets washed with everything else. TBH my original silk liner is a lot more fragile, it's still good in a pinch but I have managed to hole it with a toe nail!

Mine have been used to upgrade various bags and on their own when i've wanted minimal cover due to hot/sultry weather. A bit of naked is fine by me although clearly it's not quite as family friendly as PJ's when on busy sites!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

washing silk liners... ours go in the machine on the "delicates" cycle. No problems.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

what a dash you folks must cut attired in silk arising, from the camp, like some 19C opiate smoker from his moorish bedecked snug. Chapeau. A tassled fez for the inclement days ?
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Been making my bags since year dot and before that seat covers for motorcycles, made my first overshoes 42 years ago :)

But after making some mesh bags I bought some of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371274682430? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Below ordered on 30-5-17, arrived today.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371332135769? ... EBIDX%3AIT
5L is 19grams and 16L is 34 grams.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
irc

Post by irc »

Tangled Metal wrote:For example we missed the end of the PHD spring sales so missed out on a minim300 with zips for £225 or so. At about 400g or so and 950 fill power down it was a bargain really.

If you are quick there is one PHD Minimn 300 in the bargain box for £222.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/bargain-box
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seen that too. Ended up with criterion 200 which is similar in weight and performance. Well good enough for our needs and only £149. Used to be called cumulus, a decent sleeping bag brand without the high prices.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Been making my bags since year dot and before that seat covers for motorcycles, made my first overshoes 42 years ago :)

But after making some mesh bags I bought some of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371274682430? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Below ordered on 30-5-17, arrived today.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371332135769? ... EBIDX%3AIT
5L is 19grams and 16L is 34 grams.

I have bought various camping bits and bobs from that outfit and recommended them to a pal on here. Stuff seems fairly described, usually arrives, like yours, in a couple of weeks. Package properly and truthfully described to keep the customs folk on board/sweet. The fact that a lot of their stuff is postage free keeps things simple. I hever order anything costing over £15.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Not convinced by that type of closure for a "almost-dry" bag. Rolltop is more resistant to water ingress and wear too
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...