1 season sleeping bags?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: 1 season sleeping bags?

Post by Gattonero »

Tangled Metal wrote:... Small pack size unlike synthetic.

Having 3 sleeping quilts, of which two are the same size and fabric type, the difference between Down and Synthetic with similar insulation grade is mainly the weight, size adds up just a little.
In the same size I can compress the 500gr Down quilt that is rated -5ºc I can fit an equal quilt done with Climashield Apex, but the latter is about 100gr heavier, though the Climashield does not absorb water so no matter how damp it is still works well.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
whoof

Post by whoof »

whoof wrote:I bought Mrs Whoof one of these for Christmas. She is hoping to try it out this weekend, if we do go camping I'll let you know.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... oCrpHw_wcB

Camped on Friday and Saturday night. Friday was very warm so not much of a test temperature wise. On Saturday night the skies were clear and the temperature dropped. Mrs Whoof found her OMM to be very comfortable temperature wise and she tends to feel the cold. She did say that it would be a tight fit for someone much bigger than her and she is about 55 kg and 167 cm. It also slid very easily against her Thermarest mat so the ground needed to be perfectly flat (which it wasn't on Friday night) to stop her disappearing out of the bottom of the tarp during the night.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

I seen some reviews of the aegismax down bag, check youtube
https://www.amazon.com/AEGISMAX-Urltra-Light-Sleeping-Three-Season-L200cmW86cm/dp/B00XE2SKG2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huxNXIeK8rU

also I was sent a link to this company http://www.gramxpert.com/

I'm not recommending the above, as I have no experience of them, but they have come to my attention and might be of interest ?

If weight can be upped a bit there's the Snugpak Travelpak made and designed in Blighty and they make stuff for the military so practical, hard wearing gear...small size, 7 degree and circa 800g and cheap as chips as it's available for as low as £30. I've one that is 20 years old and needs replacing !!!
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Was almost tempted to get one of the Lidl bags today - small packsize, cheap and almost certainly summer weight! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
foxyrider wrote:Was almost tempted to get one of the Lidl bags today - small packsize, cheap and almost certainly summer weight! :lol:

I nearly succumb to buying one tonight, it is one season :)

Seriously you would be hard pressed to get a better bargain.
All this talk about quilts and tarps...................then the wind blows and add some rain................

I have slept in freezing temps with no mat and a woollies square bag with metal zip :?
In 82 I spent a weeks wages on a bag (still have it) good to minus 20.
Stuff is cheap and good too.....................but the badges must be made of gold :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

anyone else got any views on that Lidl bag?

Could it possibly, with appropriate liners and for flexibility, be extended to more seasons?
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sweep wrote:anyone else got any views on that Lidl bag?

Could it possibly, with appropriate liners and for flexibility, be extended to more seasons?

You need several bags, different weights.
I bought a sleeping bag a long time ago which was two bags in one, three different bags, one down one synthetic or one inside the other.

I don't practice additions to bags like liners - pyjamas - etc.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

you never use liners?

good practice surely?

I spent the night before last in a 25 year old Mountain Equipment bag and the decathlon silk liner was very welcome.

And hopefully spare me for a long time from the cleaning of that bag I had to do because of not using a liner before.

PS - I also wore half pajamas in the shape of an Aldi synthetic top thing.
Sweep
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sweep wrote:you never use liners?

good practice surely?
I never use liners either. Bad memories of getting tied in knots in youth hostel sheet sleeping bags. I understand their use in keeping the main bag clean, but I use pyjamas to cover that. Actually I don't, I use silk long sleeved top and long johns which double as thermal underwear if needed.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Liners are of course a good thing on a long trip many nights.

If you are relying on extra insulation then I would do some home work on expected temperature and take a different bag, that's what I do.

Most comfortable to sleep in the raw If the temp is right, not always easy to get that right of course.
Also best practice to sleep with no extra clothes for efficiency, but thats another aurgument for another post.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 4 Jun 2017, 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

tatanab wrote:... I use silk long sleeved top and long johns which double as thermal underwear if needed.

^
This.
Why carrying stuff that is useful only for one purpose, when extra-clothing will keep you warm at night AND be very welcome daytime/evening if you get soaked?
I do not use liners either, at night I use the spare clothing though I would at least clean my armpits before :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

tatanab wrote:I never use liners either. Bad memories of getting tied in knots in youth hostel sheet sleeping bags. I understand their use in keeping the main bag clean, but I use pyjamas to cover that. Actually I don't, I use silk long sleeved top and long johns which double as thermal underwear if needed.

Silk PJs and a quilt for me as well, been using the quilt for nearly a decade and despite it's price was one of my best buys. Swapped the silk rectangle liner for the PJs a couple of years ago and they've also worked well and they've also been used as an extra day layer when needed.
I find regulating the temperature with a quilt easier than in a bag, wrapped up tight in it when cold, half out when warm, that and a good insulated mat transformed how well I sleep when camping.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I too am a big fan of Quilt+insulated mat. A lot more freedom when sleeping, especially for the ones like me who turn on their side a lot during the night. Also, a good insulated mat provides more warmth than the bottom of a sleeping bag, when the insulation of a bag is compressed by the body's weight it does become ineffective.
Smith873

Post by Smith873 »

For summer/spring trips I now use a home-made synthetic quilt in place of my Alpkit Pipedream 200 sleeping bag.

The quilt packs smaller than the sleeping bag as well as being more forgiving to getting wet/damp, which a down sleeping bag doesn't like.

Gattonero wrote:
Home made with Climashield Apex and Argon67 fabric. 400gr :mrgreen:
This is about 180cm long, so it suit best people up to 170cm tall, though at 178cm (5ft 9") I'm just ok with it.

That's the size packed down and compressed, it's the little green ball in the centre of the yellow sleeping mat

Gattonero - that's a nice quilt. What compression sack do you use?

I stuff my home-made quilt (Climashield Apex 100g/sqm) into an Alpkit stuff bag. I'd like to pack it down even smaller, like you've done in your photo.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

That was a stuff sack made with remnants of fabric used for the quilt, plus two straps I made with 12mm webbing. It was ok but the fabric is not the strongest, being made especially to be downproof.

I've since made a compression sack that does use two Linelok tensioners, it does compress the whole thing ridiculously small.
My thoughts are that such compression sack cannot be sold by a manufacturer: people would get carried away leaving expensive down bags fully compressed for weeks and months, thus degrading the fluff of the down (or Primaloft).

An attempt of destructive test by compressing to the max 1sq ft of Climashield Apex and leaving it compressed for a week, did show no degradation and I could not measure any loss in volume once left for 1hr to get back in shape. That material is incredible, no wonder it was made for the US military standards. And it's a lot cheaper than down insulation, with little weight penalty for the same level of insulation, also does not retain water.

This compression sack was made with some very strong ripstop polyester that I guess was made for Paragliders, it's not fully water-tight but well waterproof and has a very slippery coating that helps in packing the bag. It's very light too, the fabric being something like 30gsm ended up with the finished sack weighting less than 20gr.

Between the quilt and the sack, I would guess it's about 60 euros of materials; this includes the Argon67 fabric from US, 133gsm Climashield apex, Dyneema-like cord, mini cord locks, plus the LineLok tensioners and the Paraglider fabric for the sack.
The fun in making it has no price, if you add the fact of making a top-notch piece of equipment for relatively low money, it's simply awesome :D

What you see inside the sack, is the second quilt I've made, the green/blue one in the pics above was with 100gsm Climashield insulation; this one is made with the same outer fabrics and insulation material but it's 133gsm (4oz/sqyd) Climashield so it's a bit thicker.
The quilt is by no means "useless in spring", being about 3 thick gives excellent insulation for the low weight, and I've found it effective up to +5ºc if sleeping with a Merino baselayer and thin long johns.

Last edited by Gattonero on 4 Jun 2017, 11:34am, edited 3 times in total.