1 season sleeping bags?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Tangled Metal

1 season sleeping bags?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Looking for a lightweight sleeping bag for summer use on a cycle tour plus other times. Rated to +6°C with as low a weight and bulk size as possible. Also a reasonable price.

For example we missed the end of the PHD spring sales so missed out on a minim300 with zips for £225 or so. At about 400g or so and 950 fill power down it was a bargain really.

Backup was the Alpkit pipedream 200 for £140. It sold out in this week between when I checked it at the weekend and this morning when I decided I'd buy it.

Basically I just need that temp rating at 400-750g weight, box wall if possible and <£200 if possible. It's actually for a warm sleeping child or a summer use female. I'll be stuck with my ancient marmot sleeping bag that's no longer -2°C rated but cold at +2°C, so thin you can see through it in patches and heavy at about 1000g. We can't afford 2 new bags this year. The third is a 600g quilt rated at -7°C. Still not for me.

P.S. if anyone found a truly cheap, new bag that meets the above criteria such that we can afford 2 bags for not much more than £200. Then please tell. I'll certainly be amazed at your bargain seeking powers. It looks like the montane Featherlite is closest to our needs but I'm not completely sure.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/sleeping-bags-c88/featherlite-sleeping-bag-p2448
hamster

Re: 1 season sleeping bags?

Post by hamster »

I've just bought the Vango ultralite pro 100. It hits all your points except weight, and I'm very pleased with mine.

I think your weight limit demands down but I suspect your costs can only be met with man-made fibre. Time to think through the trade-off.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I bought Mrs Whoof one of these for Christmas. She is hoping to try it out this weekend, if we do go camping I'll let you know.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... oCrpHw_wcB
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

How about a quilt? No zips, no hood so packs compact and light. I've been using one for about 4 years now. http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-Co ... Quilt.html
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

I got a Mountain Warehouse Traveller sleeping bag for £15. It's pretty thin, packs very small but was warm enough through Wales at the end of April. I add a £50 Snugpak quilt which covers all trips from April to September.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We use winter weight quilts packed in stuff sacks .... cosy ....and inexpensive,
We also have 2 ALDI 3 season bags which are lovely. They have a current offer on summer sleeping bags at our local store this afternoon.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

landsurfer wrote:We also have 2 ALDI 3 season bags which are lovely. They have a current offer on summer sleeping bags at our local store this afternoon.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ultra-light-left ... 6151845301

TComfort 11.6°, 720g, £11.99
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

andrew_s wrote:
landsurfer wrote:We also have 2 ALDI 3 season bags which are lovely. They have a current offer on summer sleeping bags at our local store this afternoon.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ultra-light-left ... 6151845301

TComfort 11.6°, 720g, £11.99

Wear a jumper ...... :lol: ... otherwise ideal ....
Currently 28 degrees in my back garden ...... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Just a thought.
Why go for a one season bag?
A slightly better warmer bag will not be that much bulkier or heavier if one buys quality.
And if the weather takes turn for the worst you stay comfy. Say rated down to freezing.
Additionally you extend the amount of the year you can camp.
A zipped bag can always be left partly open.
Right and left zipped bags can be joined together.

I think you get what you pay for here.
I invested in a really good lightweight Mountain Equipment bag many many moons ago. I looked after it (always use liner)and it has, and continues to, look after me.Very nicely made small packed size.
A quick search showed some in the price range.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a montane featherlite good to 5°C and something like 750g for £165 with free delivery from UOG. Small pack size unlike synthetic.

BTW what do you view 1 season? I think anything from about 5°C at its lowest comfort temperature. That primaloft bag from OMM looks like they haven't tried to rate it for some reason. Considering I was cold last summer in Scotland with a 60g primaloft jacket I'm not convinced it's that warm.

Seen Vango ultralight in go outdoors. Not impressed personally. Looked a big pack size I thought. Is it 650 fill power or lower?

Aldi ultralite sleeping bags from last year was what we took last summer. Two for use by my partner and then 3 year old. They were actually ok pack size and weight. However the first night showed why they were light and compact, very cold night. We were glad I had packed my good quilt in 900 fill power down. They used it with the aldi ones zipped together. Shared body heat and the quilt over them but held in by the two joined bags got them through the trip.

That collection of sleeping bags were rather heavy and bulky so we're changing them. Dropping the two aldi bags but replacing with a 400-800g higher fill power down bag will help a lot.

Personal preference is PHD minim 300 but we.missed the spring sale. Second alpkit PD200 option in stock one day, I decided to buy the next day after more internet searching and it was sold out. New stock due in during the last week of our holiday. Can't believe our delaying has meant to get what we really want will cost £100 or so to get now. No doubt the montane one will sell out by this weekend when we'll.decide on final options. The store selling it at that good price only has 3 left.
irc

Post by irc »

ME Helium 250. 720g duck down. Looks like a 2 season rating. £179

Down 700 Our high-quality duck down has an actual minimum down cluster content of 90% and is DOWN CODEX approved. Good Night's Sleep Temperature: 1°C/34°F Comfort: 8°C/46°F Comfort Limit: 3°C/37°F Fill Weight: 254g / 9oz Pack Size: 23cm x 18cm x 15cm Total Weight: 705g (Regular) Fill Weight: 265g / 9oz Pack Size: 24cm x 18cm x 15cm Total Weight: 720g (Regular)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XCGD5VV/ ... UTF8&psc=1
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

I've recently completed week tour of the south west coastline, just before the weather warmed up, using ME Helium 250. Details as previous post. Light weight (packed is 735 g) and compact. I always use Rab silk liner (130 g), adds to warmth and easier to wash liner than sleeping bag. It is light to sleep in, which won't suit everyone. Have used this for several years, including as extra bag on mountaineering trips to very cold places (ie inside a very warm bag), and has stood up well to useage. The Helium range is pretty good, several bags (but not, I think, the 250) stocked by Cotswold which gives 10 or 15% discount to CTC members (forget which).

Not really sure what 1 season means in practice but ok for warm spring and early autumn nights.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You checked out Decathlon new season options?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Tangled Metal wrote:Looking for a lightweight sleeping bag for summer use on a cycle tour plus other times. Rated to +6°C with as low a weight and bulk size as possible. Also a reasonable price.

Home made with Climashield Apex and Argon67 fabric. 400gr :mrgreen:
This is about 180cm long, so it suit best people up to 170cm tall, though at 178cm (5ft 9") I'm just ok with it.

Cat not included! :wink:

That's the size packed down and compressed, it's the little green ball in the centre of the yellow sleeping mat 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

irc wrote:ME Helium 250. 720g duck down. Looks like a 2 season rating. £179

Down 700 Our high-quality duck down has an actual minimum down cluster content of 90% and is DOWN CODEX approved. Good Night's Sleep Temperature: 1°C/34°F Comfort: 8°C/46°F Comfort Limit: 3°C/37°F Fill Weight: 254g / 9oz Pack Size: 23cm x 18cm x 15cm Total Weight: 705g (Regular) Fill Weight: 265g / 9oz Pack Size: 24cm x 18cm x 15cm Total Weight: 720g (Regular)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XCGD5VV/ ... UTF8&psc=1

Those specs say there's a lot of weight from the fabric.

Worth reminding that on lightweight sleeping bags/quilts, it's even more important to consider the heat generated by ones' body. The slepping bag/quilt is not "warm" itself, it just keeps the warmth from the body; some people can generate lots of body heat, and will require little insulation, while others would sleep "cold" and need a seizable amount of insulation and/or clothing or liners.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...