hammocks?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
sabrutat

Re: hammocks?

Post by sabrutat »

For short bike tours, I don't think there's anything better. Welcome to the hang!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so I have got my hammock what do you use to sleep in - sleeping bag?

wouldnt work for me
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I use a Snugpak Travelpak Lite sleeping bag on top of my Thermarest, unzipped so it's like a quilt with a foot box. In the summer in the UK you could probably get away with some kind of blanket or one of those cheap poncho liners.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I cant see how you can fit a thermarest on the hamock as it bends - surly wont do it much good in the long run?

Well I got this fleece type thermal blanket as an underblanket -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milestone-Camping-Thermal-Polar-Fleece-Blanket-Charcoal-/152533669815?hash=item2383b717b7:g:mMwAAOSwtGlZCJsz

see how it goes. I know from the few times I have bivvied how the cold makes the outer fabric of the bag ( or hammock ) cold to touch and it get into where you body touches.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

The amount of 'bend' or 'sag' completely depends on how you set it up. You can go tight and lie lengthways, which reduces sag but causes the sides of the hammock to pull in, which some people might find claustrophobic. You can combat this (on the DD Travel, anyway) by guying out the sides with shock cord, but I don't bother. This is how I now set mine up after not insignificant experimentation with more sag, a structural ridgeline, and diagonal lays.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if any one is interested this is the basic hammock I got

http://www.gearbest.com/hammock-and-sleeping-bags/pp_392178.html

under £12 but then replaced the hanging gear with DDHamocks webbing £8
so about £7 cheaper than DDhamocks basic one

All the way from China free post and got here quite fast. so if any one wants a basic hammock might be worth a look as long as they replace the attachment cables - why oh why hasnt some one in China twigged on DDhamocks simple soln, probably cheaper than the normal stuff they include?

Has been really fun hanging on Streatham Common the last week and raised a few eyebrows and one little kid who didnt know how it was floating in the air, he didnt see the black webbing :lol: thought it was magic no doubt, just staring at it :lol:
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Are you doing without a bug net?
hamster

Post by hamster »

I have a Hennessey Assym Zip, which has the bug net built in.

Definitely a mat to sleep on makes a big differnece to warmth.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sabrutat wrote:Are you doing without a bug net?

at the moment yes - I dont seem to be bothered by bugs, they leave me alone, could be that I dont mind going dirty for a few days they dont like dirt with their food :lol: or I smell like the surrounds If I get into this I may buy a better hammock with all modcons incl air conditioning :wink: If I do then the cheap one I have will become the carry every where hammock to lounge in if I stop on a ride some where and want a rest, with the DDHammock webbing is so nonsense free.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

years of army, scouts and bushcraft I used a jungle hammock from what was adventure medical but changed the straps to toggle ropes.

my standard bag was a fibre pile buffalo bag as it doesn't compress but you can use a 3/4 thermarest and the bag as a quilt which I had to do when the kids had been playing around my kit and the bag got wet. damp bags in a hammock the water tracks down to its lowest point - your bum.

bushcrafters went all silly with it and try to use them all year round so end up wrapping the whole lot in a massive quilt doubling the size. you use a hammock to keep the bugs off you, keep you off a wet or uncomfortable floor and maybe give you some cooling breeze. it's a lightweight one season set up.