hammocks?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

hammocks?

Post by mercalia »

After my visit to Tanners Hatch it got me thinking about hammocks, as there are lots of sturdy trees there close together. So wondering if those in the know whould share their thoughts. eg securing the hammock, what about a tree is required other than its big enough - eg does it have to have branchs low down to secure the ropes? eg where do you get them, I assume you dont use your normal garden B&Q one? How cheap are they - I saw this one -

https://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/products/99835-andes-camping-hammock.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7rulbYBxnW8mv-pmJi6szwpLt-ZBuZmooyPXRdAq38DlBoCdOPw_wcB

seems rather cheap?

are they viable as an alternative to tent and mat on the ground? how do you avoid getting a bad back ?
Last edited by mercalia on 26 May 2017, 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Re: hammocks?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

You need to get onto YouTube. There is a plethora of info on there. I've been using a Hennesey for about a decade. Awesome sleep system.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thanks for that. What about comfort? I dont like sleeping bags as they are too contraining as I turn and toss alot- what about hammocks? do you just sleep on your back all the time in one position? or can you change your postion without falling out?
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I've been testing out a DD Travel hammock setup on a few short tours over the last couple of months. Before I bought anything I researched the hell out of hammocks, primarily on YouTube, as Heltor Casca suggests.

I absolutely love the convenience and comfort of the hammock, but I still vastly prefer my tent for long multi-month tours. Currently, my plan is to buy the DD Superlight hammock which packs down to a tiny size and weights something like 260g, and use it as a emergency back up to the tent when I can't find anywhere suitable to pitch.

I doubt I would buy the one you linked to. Might be worth a try for only £15.
Heltor Chasca

hammocks?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

mercalia wrote:thanks for that. What about comfort? I dont like sleeping bags as they are too contraining as I turn and toss alot- what about hammocks? do you just sleep on your back all the time in one position? or can you change your postion without falling out?

I find hammocks MUCH more comfortable than conventional systems. The Hennessy is an asymmetrical system so you sleep horizontally or Mexican style. Foetal or back for me. I use an open sleeping bag and when it's cooler I put my 3/4 mat under me. Sheepskin has worked best but that was car camping. I have recently got my mitts on a quilt which will be even more useful in the hammock. Hennessy have recently improved the entry/exit method. My old one still has the Velcro 'birthing' slit.

That said: I was in my 2 man last night and had the best night's kip for a month.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 27 May 2017, 9:21am, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sabrutat wrote:I've been testing out a DD Travel hammock setup on a few short tours over the last couple of months. Before I bought anything I researched the hell out of hammocks, primarily on YouTube, as Heltor Casca suggests.

I absolutely love the convenience and comfort of the hammock, but I still vastly prefer my tent for long multi-month tours. Currently, my plan is to buy the DD Superlight hammock which packs down to a tiny size and weights something like 260g, and use it as a emergency back up to the tent when I can't find anywhere suitable to pitch.

I doubt I would buy the one you linked to. Might be worth a try for only £15.

by the way how is your yakalike going particulary the replacement skewer. The material I used for mine and probably your also is not as strong as the stuff they make real skewers from so I was wondering how long they would last before being replaced - your use must be a real test of them?
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I haven't used the trailer on these short recent tours--I think the longest one I've done was about ten days, so I've just been using panniers. I'll be dusting the trailer off this summer for a big trip, though. Thinking down to Morocco.

The skewer I got with the Qeridoo trailer is still going strong, though I had to replace the arm pivot pin two years ago. I think I posted pics in the trailer thread when it happened? The replacement is still fine, but I always carry spares just in case.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Another thing to consider with hammocks, is the insulation underneath. You can't really use an insulatin inflatable mat like you do when sleeping on the ground? In practice, you will have to carry one sleeping bag and one quilt to put underneath. That has always put me off from buying a hammock sleeping system.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Gattonero wrote:Another thing to consider with hammocks, is the insulation underneath. You can't really use an insulatin inflatable mat like you do when sleeping on the ground? In practice, you will have to carry one sleeping bag and one quilt to put underneath. That has always put me off from buying a hammock sleeping system.

Agreed, but only in reference to cold weather. For 3 seasons hammocks are ok.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:Another thing to consider with hammocks, is the insulation underneath. You can't really use an insulatin inflatable mat like you do when sleeping on the ground? In practice, you will have to carry one sleeping bag and one quilt to put underneath. That has always put me off from buying a hammock sleeping system.

what about those thin closed cell rollup things some people use? I would like to find a use for the one I have as it aint any good for my back on the ground

also I see there are things called snake skins to help pack them away - are they really worth the bother and expense?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The problem I see with common inflatable pads or closed-cell foam is that they are somewhat rigid, so they don't play well in hamocks.
Would be interesting to have another opinion here from HC hammocks users
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I use my Thermarest Neoair Camper XL in my hammock with no issues, and I've been down to freezing. I think I get away with it because it is very wide (25 inches, I believe), whereas a more lightweight inflatable would be too small. Additionally, Thermarests have crossways air pockets, so they seem to happily bend with the hammock. Lengthwise chambers, such as on the Expeds, for example, would probably be less suitable.

I don't see why a closed cell foam mat wouldn't work, too, but I haven't tried one.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

also I see there are things called snake skins to help pack them away - are they really worth the bother and expense?

I have a couple of the DD hammock sleeves, which are the same thing, about a tenner each. They do make setup and break down a little quicker, but not much. The advantage is they keep your hammock clean and dry, and you can leave your deflated sleeping mat in there. If you buy the XL sleeve, you can even leave your sleeping bag in there too and pack the whole thing up as a single unit, which will more dramatically decrease making and breaking camp time.

I initially used the other sleeve for the 4m x 4m tarp, but found it actually quicker to fold and roll it into the original stuff sack.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

A friend uses closed a cell mat which he has doctored (cut) to shape. I only use my 3/4 mat because that's what I have. But for £5 what's to loose? I only use it when cold. My guess, and it's only a guess, that the closed cell is better as it doesn't compress as much therefore it's thermal abilities MAY be better. My sheepskin has performed best as it is very warm, comfortable and doesn't slide about. However it is completely impractical for bike touring or backpacking.

Underquilts are out of my budget, but they make the most sense for comfort and warmth.

Snake skins are REALLY worth it. The Hennessy hammocks are asymmetrical so the SS really aid wrapping the whole thing up tight and very quickly.

As an aside, I use the tarp from my hammock set up when I'm bivvying because it is small, light and green.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

This is a guy I watched a lot of videos from while I was researching hammock camping. He really knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mekhYiSaNz4