leaky tent?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

leaky tent?

Post by robing »

I went to the Cycle Touring Festival at the weekend and camped for two nights. It rained pretty heavily on the second night. When I packed away, I found the inside of the groundsheet was a bit wet, not a huge amount. I had my foam mat over it and then my sleeping mat so was not aware of it til I packed away. There was no moisture on the inner anywhere and the flysheet was fine. Is this likely a (small) leak in the groundsheet, or could it be condensation?
mercalia

Re: leaky tent?

Post by mercalia »

robing wrote:I went to the Cycle Touring Festival at the weekend and camped for two nights. It rained pretty heavily on the second night. When I packed away, I found the inside of the groundsheet was a bit wet, not a huge amount. I had my foam mat over it and then my sleeping mat so was not aware of it til I packed away. There was no moisture on the inner anywhere and the flysheet was fine. Is this likely a (small) leak in the groundsheet, or could it be condensation?

well I always use a polythene sheet under my plastic tents - these days the "ground sheets" :lol: :lol: (excuse the mirth - when I compare to the real thing on my Conquest polycotton A frame Force 10 type tent) are a joke, only fit to keep the bugs out? If you have used the tent a lot sooner or later moving around will damage any coating?
Heltor Chasca

leaky tent?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I retired my 15+ year old tent because of this. (I think it's the same with yours) the damp was getting through the GS and evaporating everywhere except under the mat. In heavy rain when there was ground water run off, it would pool up in the corners.

It would have cost more to repair than get a new tent. Silly but that's what I had to do.
robing

Post by robing »

I emailed Vango, the manufacturer and had an almost instant reply. How's that for customer service on a Bank Holiday Monday!
They advised cleaning and reproofing the groundsheet and they think that should solve the problem.
I've only had it 3 years but it has had fairly heavy use in Spain, France, Scotland and Ireland.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe this stuff -

https://grangers.co.uk/products/fabsil-gold-liquid

"With 5 times more silicone packed into it, Fabsil Gold works great on items that see more than their fair share of wet weather or water - including boat covers and sails. Easily applied, Fabsil Gold will last longer than other waterproofing treatments, and offers unrivalled levels of water-repellency."
robing

Post by robing »

Aerosol probably easier as I only need it for the groundsheet:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grangers-fa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Plus extra 15% off this week!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

aslong as it is the gold one

the one you mention is just the bog standard one

https://grangers.co.uk/products/fabsil-gold-aerosol
PH

Post by PH »

it shouldn't be hard to test how waterproof the groundsheet is, tie a section of it over a bowl or bucket and see how much water it can hold overnight. I wouldn't dismiss the idea of condensation either, under a mat can be ideal conditions. Worst case scenario is to replace the groundsheet, it's pretty simple job for anyone with a sewing machine.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

I had the exact same thing happen on a heavily used tent ( moisture under the mat) , and reproofing solved it. I just used a generic silicon type ( make sure you get the right sort for the material involved )
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Condensation is reasonably common if the ground is cold and wet (they often go together). Once I work up having pitched on thawing snow and found the groundsheet damp. Leaking! But no, the whole thing was afloat where I wasn't weighing it down, and it as a consistent cover of fine droplets, so actually a remarkable waterproof performance.

Hang the inner and use the groundsheet as a bucket. If it's leaking you should get consistent drips out, running to the low point and dripping off at a fairly consistent rate.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

robing wrote:I emailed Vango, the manufacturer and had an almost instant reply. How's that for customer service on a Bank Holiday Monday!
They advised cleaning and reproofing the groundsheet and they think that should solve the problem.
I've only had it 3 years but it has had fairly heavy use in Spain, France, Scotland and Ireland.

It's likely that your tent has a floor made with PU coated fabric. It's easy to spot if you see the seams are taped like this
in which case, proofing like Fabsil won't really work, you'll need a proofer that is specific for PU-coated fabrics, like this

Though you better check first for a possible puncture or deep abrasion, to reproof the fabric every now and then is not a bad idea.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Rather than buy a new tent, I reproofed my Vango Halo 300 flysheet and groundsheet with Fabsil Gold last year. I was having the same problem as you with damp soaking through under my sleeping mat, and the fly was leaking in a few areas during heavy storms. It seems to have worked when I tried it out in damp conditions in the back garden, but I haven't done any prolonged tent-camping tours with it yet.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Why isn't there an n+1 rule for tents?

It's a perfect excuse to buy new gear! Don't miss your opportunity. There's some really nice tents out there. :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:Why isn't there an n+1 rule for tents?

There isn't?

Oops...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oh! I forgot about pjc. How many tents do you own now? I won't ask how many you have owned in the past as I suspect it'll take too long for you to add them up.

I think me and my partner are on 10 tents in our possession. Well 9 and one that's winging its way here right now I hope. We're still at least one type or style of tent away from the complete collection we need.

Now don't mention camping stoves. I went through a n+2 stage. That's like n+1 but you build your collection quicker!

P.S. How bad is your problem if you have so many tests that you can't remember if you still have some of them or threw them out?