Recommended Campsites Norfolk?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Antbrewer

Re: Recommended Campsites Norfolk?

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Sweep,
My wife and I have only just returned fro a wks camping in Norfolk. Never having been there before in my life as there are not any mountains. We found a camping site via the Pitchup site at Bylaugh Country Park. Needless to say it is not pronunced as it is written. About 5 miles north of Dereham. This is their first year and we found it excellent. The owners Andreas and Nicki are so friendly and wecolming. The facilities are brilliant. We had a tent with electric hook up. Very reason price .
We were cycling around the countryside gently everyday with great enjoyment. Cracking holiday.
Worth a look perrhaps?

Anthony
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply. Can you be more specific on price? Must say, I have no need at all for an electric hook up. What on earth were you running from it?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

By the by, I have been told by the pond farm folk that, weather permitting, they intend to stay open until the end of October this year.
Sweep
alimck

Post by alimck »

We like Deer's Glade, 6 miles south of Cromer just off the A140 to Norwich
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

It would be good to built up a collection of campsites in not only Norfolk but also Suffolk now the YHA have gone? I would like to visit again some time the places where I was brought up.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I will be heading off that way again in a while so may be able to help. Though will be off season so many may be closed. The free camping discoveries I had better keep to myself.
Sweep
ralphradford

Post by ralphradford »

I would recommend Baconsthorpe Camp near Holt in Nth Norfolk. Plenty of facilities and you can even have a fire. Back/ Bike Packers are charged only £5 per night.Check out their website.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks for that ralph.

Being a maybe odd mixture of the innocent/naive/cynical I am inclined to be a bit suspicious of internet recommendations from someone who has only posted once, but a quick check of their website

http://www.baconsthorpemeadows.co.uk/campsite/

does make it sound rather wonderful.

and it appears that off season for a solo camper it is only £4.

Great to see someone offering cheaper prices to cyclists - after all we are only taking a small patch of grass and maybe a short shower.

Have just returned from these parts and may enter some other recommendations/listings - mods please gently tick me off if I should enter them directly under the campsite list subject and save them the trouble of transferring my posts.
Sweep
ralphradford

Post by ralphradford »

First post because I've only recently discovered the site. I recommended Baconsthorpe because I have stayed there many times in recent years and have always been welcomed by the owners.The site is the best I have found in Norfolk and by far the cheapest. The last time I backpacked the coast, 2 years ago, the site in Stiffkey, High Sands Creek, charged £12.