Recommended Campsites Norfolk?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Recommended Campsites Norfolk?

Post by Sweep »

northernrebel wrote:We stayed here a few years back on a tour round the North coast:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/detai ... revid=3727
Simple, well maintained facilities and peace and quiet away from the main holiday area

UYes I linked to it above seeking opinions.

Sounds nice and simple and in that listing they say that they are definitely not glamping :)
Sweep
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Manor Farm on the other side of Cromer is also an okay site. http://www.manorfarmcampsite.co.uk/
Stayed there a couple of times with my wife. The entrance is by a roundabout route but there is a shorter way into Cromer from the site.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the replies folks.

For the record, I ended up booking a couple of nights at Pond Farm.

All sounded like a wonderful combination of efficient and chilled when I spoke to Sue.

£8 a night in early July - no thrusting of coins down a gobbling shower.

Another link:

https://www.facebook.com/pondfarmcampingcromer/?fref=ts

with a vid of someone running round a field.

Will try to report back after the stay.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the replies folks.

For the record, I ended up booking a couple of nights at Pond Farm.

All sounded like a wonderful combination of efficient and chilled when I spoke to Sue.

£8 a night in early July - no thrusting of coins down a gobbling shower.

Another link:

https://www.facebook.com/pondfarmcampingcromer/?fref=ts

with a vid of someone running round a field.

Will try to report back after the stay.

looks very nice and good to see there are some trees as I dont like pitching tents in open sky. I'll make a note and will probably visit my self. pls let us know any other places you used as the YHA network in E.Anglia now gone
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I can report back that Pond Farm was wonderful.

Unreservedly recommended.

It is simple/basic, green without trying to make a song and dance/glamp about it, and has everything you might possibly need,

My last day there it pretty much threw it down from 4pm until maybe 6 or 7 the next morning, but it did nothing to spoil things.

While camping in a really nice field, the warm shower/toilet block and for that matter kitchen with fridges/freezers, nay even microwaves was a short walk away (dry under an army poncho) and I simply retired to my tent with an engrossing 50p book from the shower room library.

Get yourselves there ctc folk.

There are very few places like this left I fear.

Will add more if I have any more thoughts.

Folk feel free to ask any questions.

Trains from London Liverpool Street to Norwich can be had from a tenner with bike - great bike storage on the train.

I have a tried and tested point to point gpx from Pond Farm to Norwich station if anyone should need it - it should work equally well in the reverse direction.
Last edited by Sweep on 19 Aug 2017, 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe add to the campsite review section rather than here so it isnt lost?

I see very few trees? I much prefer to camp so that trees shields from the sun at least some of the day unless I am using my cotton tent.

I like the idea of fridges/freezers/microwaves means dont need to bring own cooking gear? what was the standard of them? good condition?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Duly added to review index (under Cromer, 'cos most people should know where that is without having to check a map)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote:Duly added to review index (under Cromer, 'cos most people should know where that is without having to check a map)

many thanks andrew.

it thoroughly deserves its place.

I had thought of nominating it for that list but you have saved me the bother of figuring out how to do it.

Yours (and others) library will be my first port of call for any future trips.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:maybe add to the campsite review section rather than here so it isnt

I see very few trees? I much prefer to camp so that trees shields from the sun at least some of the day unless I am using my cotton tent.

I like the idea of fridges/freezers/microwaves means dont need to bring own cooking gear? what was the standard of them? good condition?

Fussy sod aren't you mercalia :)

some small trees at the side of the field I was in (the family area I think it was called though I was assured by Sue on my arrival for two days that no children were expected as it was pre school holidays :) so I went for it as I found it more attractive) - a bit more of a collection of trees at the top.

I always prefer to cook myself in the field but the microwaves and all appliances were fine. Maybe acquired second hand but no matter - everyone effectively has second hand stuff at home. Hell, mercalia, one of the microwaves apparently talked.

Fridges very handy for the pesto I used for two meals, my couple of bottles of lidl vintage cider, pack of cherry tomatoes.

Pretty much everything has been thought of - there's even a bar/pub bottle opener screwed to the inside of door frame of the kitchen/washing up area.

One of the fridges also has stuff for sale at very reasonable prices - milk, fruit juice, chocs, bread rolls.

I could to be honest see myself using one of the microwaves in extended bad weather - as it was I sat out the 14 hour rain with my collection of peanuts, snacks, red wine, cake.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:maybe add to the campsite review section rather than here so it isnt

Fussy sod aren't you mercalia :)

some small trees at the side of the field
I was in (the family area I think it was called though I was assured by Sue on my arrival for two days that no children were expected as it was pre school holidays :) so I went for it as I found it more attractive) - a bit more of a collection of trees at the top.

I always prefer to cook myself in the field but the microwaves and all appliances were fine. Maybe acquired second hand but no matter - everyone effectively has second hand stuff at home. Hell, mercalia, one of the microwaves apparently talked.

Fridges very handy for the pesto I used for two meals, my couple of bottles of lidl vintage cider, pack of cherry tomatoes.

Pretty much everything has been thought of - there's even a bar/pub bottle opener screwed to the inside of door frame of the kitchen/washing up area.

One of the fridges also has stuff for sale at very reasonable prices - milk, fruit juice, chocs, bread rolls.

I could to be honest see myself using one of the microwaves in extended bad weather - as it was I sat out the 14 hour rain with my collection of peanuts, snacks, red wine, cake.

well thinking of my tent and UV degradation. I think it is important to identify sites like this for cyclists since the YHA network has now gone in East Anglia - though there is a nice one on Sheringham near by, but no where else down the coast until Blaxhall in Essex/Suffolk
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I will check out the sherringham yha mercalia, thanks. I meant to cycle that way and onto wells on my last day in camp but was still a bit knackered from a 24 hour ride and put off by my knowledge of the forthcoming heavy rain.

Oh, by the by, there's a handy lidl in cromer. Didn't show on my gps OSM as i think it's pretty new. But it is there, just up from morrisons. You can get to it by quiet lanes from Pond Farm.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:I will check out the sherringham yha mercalia, thanks. I meant to cycle that way and onto wells on my last day in camp but was still a bit knackered from a 24 hour ride and put off by my knowledge of the forthcoming heavy rain.

Oh, by the by, there's a handy lidl in cromer. Didn't show on my gps OSM as i think it's pretty new. But it is there, just up from morrisons. You can get to it by quiet lanes from Pond Farm.

The Sheringham YHA is well situated just a few mins walk from the large super market, town centre and rail station. Only thing is last time I was there 1 year or so ago they didnt know how to turn off the heating and it was that heatwave we had for a few days - so I ended sleeping in the TV room the only cool room in the place :lol:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply.

I think you will enjoy pond farm - cheaper, all the warm facilities you need, privacy of your tent, fresh air.
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:I had thought of nominating it for that list but you have saved me the bother of figuring out how to do it.

Just post a review to the end of the Campsite Reviews index topic, and at some point I'll notice it and add it to the index.

It's helpful if you can keep to one campsite per post, as otherwise either the index will link to the post as "place 1, place 2, place 3", as in several examples in the Europe index, or I'd have several entries all pointing at the same post (eg "Spodsbjerg, Denmark"), and it would be up to the viewer to find the correct part of the post.

It's also meant to be a campsite review thread, so I generally don't react to things like the suggested sites earlier on in this topic

I see I've got some extra to add to the index
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

There is a site at Stiffkey High sand Creek not used it personally but friends rate it highly and visit it quite often. we Like Pinewoods at Wells next the sea. they have a cheaper rate for Back packers If the weather is inclement there is always the option in Wells of the YHA
NUKe