Best (light) 1 man tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
jamesxyz

Best (light) 1 man tent

Post by jamesxyz »

I'm looking to get a new tent. Requirements are 1 man (with porch / storage area), less than 2kg and less than £150. A quick search seems to have thrown up a number that fit the bill. What do others recommend?
foxyrider

Re: Best (light) 1 man tent

Post by foxyrider »

I recommend not asking that question on here!

It was recently answered in a different thread on here in nauseating depth.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

terra nova have a inexpensive range sold under the brand Wild Country, Whilst I ahve no experience of either brands, plenty do, and some should fit the bill. The Zephyros or Vango Banshee are popular I believe.

Light, cheap and strong is a rare combination and all one man tents are a compromise.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
pwa

Post by pwa »

My feeling is that tents are usually too small for the stated number of people, so for one person I would look for a tent calling itself 1/2 man tent. And if it weighs a little more, that is the price you pay for being able to turn over in the night.

Example. Wild Country Zephyros 2 EP from Cotswold Outdoor, weighs 1.81kg for a nominally 2 person tent and priced at £150.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I like discussions on one man tents :)

Agreed that better value and practicality can be had from looking at two man tents, extra 200 grams gives you a hotel not a shed.

Perhaps a to good to lose post where suggestions on one man tents that will be a reference thread?
Photo and a short list of specs pro's and con's with links to suppliers / specific one man tents.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you are prepared to think out of the box a bit this Kelty Tarp Tent dont weigh much as it is single skin with no floor. I got one at half the price a few months ago and made my own poles - 130cm from some Force Ten pole I had.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kelty-Range-Tarp-One-Size-Green-/262948729478?hash=item3d38f73286:g:j0AAAOSw5UZY-7GM#rwid

Minimum weight: 2 lb 4 oz. / 1 kg
Packaged weight: 2 lbs 12 oz. / 1.25 kg
Floor area: 46.5 ft2 / 4.32 m2
Length: 108 in. / 274 cm
Width: 62 in. / 157 cm
Height: 46 in. / 117 cm
Packed diameter: 4.5 in. / 11 cm
Packed Length: 12 in. / 30 cm
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Jun 2017, 10:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I need to knock up some shelter that's light but will keep me dry if it rains, needs fly mesh for sure, won't blow down and will take all the gear I carry, need to travel light for an endurance ride on a road bike.

Been toying with a survival bag with an umbrella type canopy, bit like a bivvy bag with some poles, though you really need to sit up in it, won't be any cooking.
I suppose in the end a one kilo double skin tent will do the job.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

My Son has just bought a Luxe mini peak 2 from backpackinglight.co.uk, together with the telescopic pole....weights about 1.5kg and it came to about £155.00 I think. We tried it in the garden and I was impressed by the quality. The inner tent is a one-person only but that leaves loads of space for gear/cooking etc and the headroom's impressive. It seems to get very good reviews.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

hoppy58 wrote:My Son has just bought a Luxe mini peak 2 from backpackinglight.co.uk, together with the telescopic pole....weights about 1.5kg and it came to about £155.00 I think. We tried it in the garden and I was impressed by the quality. The inner tent is a one-person only but that leaves loads of space for gear/cooking etc and the headroom's impressive. It seems to get very good reviews.

Those tipi and pyramid tents shed wind very well too and usually can be strapped down and not responsive to gusty varying winds something the lighter or cheaper versions of of the Saunders Spacepacker/ Hilleberg Akto designs fail to do so well. I've seen Terra nova and Nordisk tents flattened and broken in high winds, which is always painful to see when the occupants are hundreds of miles from home.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:if you are prepared to think out of the box a bit this Kelty Tarp Tent dont weigh much as it is single skin with no floor. I got one at half the price a few months ago and made my own poles - 130cm from some Force Ten pole I had.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kelty-Range-Tarp-One-Size-Green-/262948729478?hash=item3d38f73286:g:j0AAAOSw5UZY-7GM#rwid

Minimum weight: 2 lb 4 oz. / 1 kg
Packaged weight: 2 lbs 12 oz. / 1.25 kg
Floor area: 46.5 ft2 / 4.32 m2
Length: 108 in. / 274 cm
Width: 62 in. / 157 cm
Height: 46 in. / 117 cm
Packed diameter: 4.5 in. / 11 cm
Packed Length: 12 in. / 30 cm

£100 for a tarp? :shock:
You can spend a lot less, and being lighter; or spend the pretty much the same money and be 1/2 the weight.

If you think that with £50 more you can get a proper tent, the Luxe Sil-HexPeak V4, that has lots of room and is well within the 2kg mark.
Would look no further, there is a thread about those tents with lots of info.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:Two tarps here.

Second one 500g.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/cgi-bin/sh0000 ... html#a1087

Tough does not have doors, it's 1/4 of the price 8)
You can buy a second one, use to make the doors to the first one, and still be 1/2 price :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

+1 on the Luxe. I have the Mini Peak II. But the one above in this thread is an even better one. Pretty light, well made, pitch the outer first and a sturdy tent in wind.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I got my tarp tent for £50. I wouldnt pay £100 for it. But it is very large inside and very long
dlv13

Post by dlv13 »

+2 for the luxe hexpeak , ive had mine a few years now and for cycle touring its the best tent ive ever used , quick and easy to put up , fly goes up first. when raining enough room to get inside and get out of wet stuff before hanging the inner so keeping everything dry, also tons of room in the vestibule for panniers ect ,cooking and getting in and out not many one person tents can do that . you dont have to use the inner if you want go really light , if you go backpacking as well you can use a walking pole for the tent pole saving a bit of weight ,
some people don't like sleeping with the tent close to their faces with the sloping sides , does not bother me i am 5 ,11" and mine is the old version i think the current model is a bit bigger , i find the whole thing very roomy for a 1 person tent . its a bit more than your £150 budget at £170 but worth considering