Best (light) 1 man tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Best (light) 1 man tent

Post by Gattonero »

You can put the bike in the vestibule, beat that! :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Hmmm! beeen looking at those just now. The latest one (V4A?) apparantly is slightly bigger, giving a bigger nest, for the vertically enhance amongst us. Out of stock at the moment. Also was looking at the Decathalon Quickhiker UL 2, at £119 and 1.9kg,( but this could sleep 2 people), but the space inside the V4A is amazing,as once inside and set up, you just unhook the nest from the top,and it all flattens down to a BIG useable area, Could be a problem clearing folks out when its bed time, 'party central' :( . Originally started looking at the Coleman Aravis 2, only £72, but 2.4kg,and small for 2, and nowhere to sit / cook in foul weather, kind of put me off. Never camped before, so stuck in a coffin, not being able to make a brew, would not a happy bunny make.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

you could go totally extreme and use a mylar tube tent from poundworld. it even comes with the string.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

crazydave789 wrote:you could go totally extreme and use a mylar tube tent from poundworld. it even comes with the string.

excellent for catastrophic fail! :(
Mylar is though but once you get a tiny hole or rip, then it goes all along until you're left with none. Just think of a packet of crisps, make a tear and....
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Gattonero wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:you could go totally extreme and use a mylar tube tent from poundworld. it even comes with the string.

Mylar is though but once you get a tiny hole or rip, then it goes all along until you're left with none. Just think of a packet of crisps, make a tear and....

and you open another one or use some tape :D

it's tougher than you think, having taught survival - tube tents were looked at closely.

tomorrows weather might not be the ideal weather to pitch one though. mind you few tents would enjoy it
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

crazydave789 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:

and you open another one or use some tape :D

it's tougher than you think, having taught survival - tube tents were looked at closely.

tomorrows weather might not be the ideal weather to pitch one though. mind you few tents would enjoy it

I know how tough is Mylar, and I know it can be patched very well with common gaffer tape.
BUT is also very fragile, wonder why is never used for bags and other stuff where a tear would spread along and -for example- lose the contents :( For a tent it only needs one branch or pinecone brought by the wind, or a touch from a bramble, and with the tension a tent is kept it will tear apart from side to side :(

p.s.
I do use Mylar groundsheets sometimes, though I'm very careful when placing them, I don't expect them to last long, not at all
Valamo

Post by Valamo »

lots of choices, but
I'd stay away from any single wall tent if you want something for a "coastal trip" - I'm thinking that means humidity, maybe fog. I have a BD Firstlight single wall tent that is a great tent, maybe my favorite out of the dozen tents I have, but I would choose a double wall with lots of ventilation for a coaltal trip, or for anywhere that humidity will be high.

I have a Sierra Designs Ultra Lightyear https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-frame-tent/ (they no longer make the "Ultra" version, just the regular Lightyear)solo tent. I like this tent and use it for 2 to 3 day river trips. I wouldn't take it on a longer trip, as I agree with Fat Elmo's assessment. Its big enough to sleep in, and get dressed in, but not much room for gear. Actual weight on a postal scale is 2# 15.8 oz with only 4 stakes. For a longer trip, the two person SD Clip Flashlight would be a better choice - mine weighs 4# 10.5 oz with stakes. I use it a lot for hunting, as it has a lot of room for one person.

The difference between a one-person solo and a two-person solo is mostly not 1/2, but more like 75% to 80% the size and weight of a two-person tent. Unless that small difference is critical for yor use, its not worth the sacrifice in space to go with a solo.

I would not recommend either of those two SD tents for a "coastal trip" - I'm thinking that means beach camping either on sand or shingle. Neither is going to be particlularly good for holding tent stakes, so I'd want to take a free standign tent. AND, I'd bring something to rig deadman anchors to back up tent stakes in sand. Maybe four stuff sacks you can fill with sand, tie off to the tent corners, then bury. Or maybe tie off to buried paddles.

All in all, I'd say the two person Hubba tent would be the choice I'd make, with maybe a Big Agnes SL2 as a second choice.

One other point - is how long your trip will be, and how bad the mosquitos might be ? for a long trip in bad bug country, I'd pick a tent with two doors - if a door zipper blows out on you, you can duct tape it shut and use the second door - one door tent, and you're gonna need a lot of duct tape every night.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Valamo wrote:
One other point - is how long your trip will be, and how bad the mosquitos might be ? for a long trip in bad bug country, I'd pick a tent with two doors - if a door zipper blows out on you, you can duct tape it shut and use the second door - one door tent, and you're gonna need a lot of duct tape every night.

I'd certainly say don't get a tent with a lightweight zip on the main door. Most of the serious builders use pretty chunky YKK coils, and there's a good reason for that!
But whatever zip(s) you have, take care of it. Take the tension off it doing it up (pull the fabric together with a spare hand, don't let the zip puller do it), run a finger ahead of the puller to help prevent material getting caught in the zip, and keep the zip clean (old toothbrushes good for this, worth doing on the final airing pitch before packing it away long term). Cleaning zips particularly worthwhile after sandy trips.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Has anybody any thoughts on Nordisk tents? I quite like the look of the Telemark 2 person tent (for myself alone) but never heard of the brand before.

Ian