Arrangements for Trangia fuel bottle on flights

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Kernowboy

Arrangements for Trangia fuel bottle on flights

Post by Kernowboy »

In a few weeks I am flying with my bike and camping kit and I am would appreciate some advice on how people deal with their fuel bottle on flights.
Is an empty fuel bottle in your hold baggage acceptable or is it easier to simply purchase some fuel locally and carry it in the bottle you purchased it in?
dnrc

Re: Arrangements for Trangia fuel bottle on flights

Post by dnrc »

week before last i went to germany and had similar thoughts

i didn't take any fuel (you can't on a plane) or a bottle

i bought a bottle of brennspiritus and decanted it into an empty 300ml water bottle

i don't see why you wouldn't be able to take your trangia bottle in hold luggage though
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I always take my standard Trangia fuel bottle in checked baggage, washed out with water and detergent beforehand.
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Thanks for the replies, I think I may adopt the decant into a spare bottle approach, however I am interested if you use the red standard fuel bottle Rualexander?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Yes standard Trangia 1 litre bottle.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

I always use a 300ml or 500ml plastic pop bottle. Mind you, I also use them as water bottles so try to find a different brand/shape. Cost about 70p for the bottle, including a free 500ml of orange juice.
meic

Post by meic »

If it is for meths, then the 1 litre bottles that you buy it in, in France, are very lightweight but robust enough for one-way use and can be squeezed into the third underframe bottlecage.
Yma o Hyd
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

The :twisted: 'rules' are
for anything that has contained liquid fuel ...

you have to get written permission from the airline to carry it .. yes as hold luggage.

The won't give permission unless you have;
purged the thing of all fuel,
put some absorbent material around it and then
sealed it in a plastic bag.

e.g. http://www.qantas.com.au/dangerousgoods ... b-2012.pdf

Note these rules are from the IATA and apply to ALL international airlines. Probably find domestic ones use it too.
See https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr ... 23A-en.pdf
The old rules (long gone) allowed you to carry things without written permission .. you were still required to meet the rules re purge + pack.

My experience with purging. I followed the guides.. still had a fuel smell to me. This is for a Coleman dual fuel stove, I think similar stoves will have the same problem/solution. Fortunately I started experimenting weeks before the flight. Empty the stove fuel container, then operate the stove - there will be fuel remaining in pipes etc. Once it has burnt out there will be some surface fuel, vent for a day and you should have no more fuel smell.

------------------
Simplest?
Purchase a local bottle. I note you have not asked about the stove, suggest you read the above for that too.
I have just purchase a gas powered stove - with adaptors. These don't have the same official problems, only a question of what gas is available locally - hence the adaptors.
orangebiker

Post by orangebiker »

I've had an empty bottle confiscated. Was clean and dry etc. It was in hold luggage but in a rucsac so it went to a separate large luggage thing where they x rayed it on the spot and removed the fuel bottle. In a suitcase it would most likely have been fine - have flown several times with gas cannisters in hold suitcases and they've not been detected
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Buy a fuel bottle and some fuel when you arrive in the country of your choice ?

Or take an unused fuel bottle with you .... stuffed with the TFJ's panties ... as on our trip to Portugal last year ... :lol:
Amazing how many pairs of my ladies panties you can stuff into a 500ml container .... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

landsurfer wrote:Buy a fuel bottle and some fuel when you arrive in the country of your choice ?

Or take an unused fuel bottle with you .... stuffed with the TFJ's panties ... as on our trip to Portugal last year ... :lol:
Amazing how many pairs of my ladies panties you can stuff into a 500ml container .... :lol:

You travel with several women who surrender their panties to you?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

orangebiker wrote:I have flown several times with gas cannisters in hold suitcases and they've not been detected

Isn't that highly irresponsible?
To say the least?
Sweep
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Sweep wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Buy a fuel bottle and some fuel when you arrive in the country of your choice ?

You travel with several women who surrender their panties to you?

LOL ... The Fair Jules ..... my lovely lady .... 1 is enough ...
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Sweep wrote:
orangebiker wrote:I have flown several times with gas cannisters in hold suitcases and they've not been detected

Isn't that highly irresponsible?
To say the least?

Have to agree, but, bear in mind the amount of cans of hairspray, deodorant etc also in the hold ... all of which use pressurised butane as a propellant.
Possibly all are DAC ..... but i'm sure the hold structure is designed to contain a can of deodorant going pop .... but not a whole " Gaz" canister.
Be more Mike.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

can't help feeling people are over thinking this. When you buy meths / alcohol a bruler abroad it is traditionally sold in convenient litre bottles. You don't really need to take an empty bottle to buy "draught" meths as they only really do bottled.

Don't make my mate's mistake and buy brush cleaner by mistake. That doesn't half go, but 3' flames not ideal for simmering.