Arrangements for Trangia fuel bottle on flights

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
landsurfer

Re: Arrangements for Trangia fuel bottle on flights

Post by landsurfer »

Kernowboy wrote:In a few weeks I am flying with my bike and camping kit and I am would appreciate some advice on how people deal with their fuel bottle on flights.
Is an empty fuel bottle in your hold baggage acceptable or is it easier to simply purchase some fuel locally and carry it in the bottle you purchased it in?

No and Yes.
An empty pre used fuel bottle of fumes is more of a risk than a bottle full of fuel .... Buy it when you get there, they sell it in shops.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

This thread is about Trangia bottles used for alcohol, surely if the bottle has been rinsed out thoroughly with water and detergent, it's no more of a risk than all the other bottles of alcohol at varying percentages carried throughout the aircraft?
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

rualexander wrote:surely
:lol:
These rules are to ensure that the fuel bottle is correctly treated and where the rules are not followed the bottle/stove/etc can legally be removed. If you follow the rules .. written permission is obtained and the bottle correctly treated and packaged then you might not have a problem.

The expectation that the rules make relative sense can be compared to people complying with the rules.
Did that vehicle make a safe pass? That can be a hard call. If you don't have written permission for the fuel bottle/stove then you might not have correctly treated the item.. so out it can go, a very easy call via the paperwork.