Gaz twist click to screw adaptors - experience?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Gaz twist click to screw adaptors - experience?

Post by foxyrider »

I have several screw mount stoves and on more than one trip (when flying to start point) i've had some issues finding suitable gas. Camping Gaz has been available fairly readily which is annoying as the French decided to not use the pre existing standard.

So there are adaptors from Gaz to Std screw from the likes of Eldrid (Vaude) - has anyone used one of these? Any issues with stove compatability?

I'm planning ahead here - I have plenty of gas for my UK rides this year.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
psmiffy

Re: Gaz twist click to screw adaptors - experience?

Post by psmiffy »

The Eldridge gaz to woods thread adaptor is excellent - I'm in France at the moment and have not used anything other than the blue cans with. my stove since I started
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The French Standard is mechanically better: see stuff by Roger Caffin
(the 'Epigas thread on threaded carts is only partially formed, hence stove threads wear.

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/MyStove2.htm (search for poorly formed)

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/MyStove3.htm (description of his own connector that connects to threaded carts by the 'French Method')
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

SA_SA_SA wrote:The French Standard is mechanically better: see stuff by Roger Caffin
(the 'Epigas thread on threaded carts is only partially formed, hence stove threads wear.

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/MyStove2.htm (search for poorly formed)

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/MyStove3.htm (description of his own connector that connects to threaded carts by the 'French Method')

That wasn't the question!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

foxyrider wrote:....That wasn't the question!

Your question complained of the French being annoying:
I was just pointing out the reason (partially) was better engineering.... :)

The Epi-gas 'standard' doesn't specify how far the pin must go in to release gas (ie how long stoves pin must be):
hence stoves recommendation to use their brand of screw cart (not a safety issue: if other cart brands valve needs longer stove pin = no gas = no dinner).
So not unreasonable for Camping gaz to specify their own carts more tightly as befits their brand)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
foxyrider wrote:....That wasn't the question!

Your question complained of the French being annoying:
I was just pointing out the reason (partially) was better engineering.... :)

The Epi-gas 'standard' doesn't specify how far the pin must go in to release gas (ie how long stoves pin must be):
hence stoves recommendation to use their brand of screw cart (not a safety issue: if other cart brands valve needs longer stove pin = no gas = no dinner).
So not unreasonable for Camping gaz to specify their own carts more tightly as befits their brand)

Still not an answer to the question. I have stoves, four I think all of the screw style, none are by brands who supply their own brand canisters, they've always worked with whatever canister i've bought.

I'm not bothered how superior the Gaz fitting is, I want to know if there are any issues with the adapters from one to the other.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've had no problem using the Edelrid adapter.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Thanks for the replies :D