Bike Security whilst camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Bike Security whilst camping

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Paulatic wrote:Happily we very often don't lock bikes up when out and about in this area.
Back in April while on a C&CC site in Kent I wandered over to chat to a cycle camper who was staying. Situated in a small orchard way off the road Ken had 3 locks on his Thorn bike. I couldn't help but notice and also couldn't help but comment. Chatting with Ken I discovered he lived in London and I realised the very genuine fear he had of his bike being stolen. My bike leant up against the back of the caravan unlocked for 7 weeks whilst I toured the South without incident.
Ken was trying out his gear before setting off on route1 to Inverness the week after. My advise to him was to get rid of a lot of weight and only take one lock as the further away from London he got the less he'd need. Now maybe I'm a little too trusting but I wonder do others worry a little too much?

Once you have had a bike nicked, you then become slightly paranoiac.
Gone are the days where people never locked their front door and I left my bike for years leaning against the garage in full view of passers by.
Leant bike against wall on main road to visit doctors and was gone when I came out :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Paulatic wrote:Happily we very often don't lock bikes up when out and about in this area.
Back in April while on a C&CC site in Kent I wandered over to chat to a cycle camper who was staying. Situated in a small orchard way off the road Ken had 3 locks on his Thorn bike. I couldn't help but notice and also couldn't help but comment. Chatting with Ken I discovered he lived in London and I realised the very genuine fear he had of his bike being stolen. My bike leant up against the back of the caravan unlocked for 7 weeks whilst I toured the South without incident.
Ken was trying out his gear before setting off on route1 to Inverness the week after. My advise to him was to get rid of a lot of weight and only take one lock as the further away from London he got the less he'd need. Now maybe I'm a little too trusting but I wonder do others worry a little too much?

Once you have had a bike nicked, you then become slightly paranoiac.
Gone are the days where people never locked their front door and I left my bike for years leaning against the garage in full view of passers by.
Leant bike against wall on main road to visit doctors and was gone when I came out :(

when you've lost a couple you're convinced they're out to get you.

that's why I like the idea of frame locks to click it on when you stop takes seconds. I've thought about various ways to embugger a potential thief on travels, bungees around luggage seems to work whether necessary or not, I've zip tied, taped or wired up fastex before when deploying my kit to stop idle hands wandering, same with fixing luggage to the racks with zip ties or P clips. similar a vibration sensitive saddle mounted alarm - I rigged a mcycle alarm to my tool bag once when we went through a prank phase, it had indicators and everything :D

I'd rather pack the weight of a lock, but would consider leaving it around a lampost to collect if coming back that way.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Sorry to report that 2 bikes were stolen from a campsite on the Isle of Wight last weekend. I don't know any details.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pedalsheep wrote:Sorry to report that 2 bikes were stolen from a campsite on the Isle of Wight last weekend. I don't know any details.

some really nasty people around :twisted: makes my blood boil. when I die would like to come back as a bike thief nemesis, very satisfying work I would think.

When I am away now at YHA I take 2 U locks incl my big 18mm New York that stays at base.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I think that's one reason why I'd rather wild camp or be near somewhere I can use my waterways key. I lost my faith in my fellow man decades ago.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

crazydave789 wrote:I think that's one reason why I'd rather wild camp or be near somewhere I can use my waterways key. I lost my faith in my fellow man decades ago.

what is waterways key?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

mercalia wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:I think that's one reason why I'd rather wild camp or be near somewhere I can use my waterways key. I lost my faith in my fellow man decades ago.

what is waterways key?

the canal network has comfort stations dotted about the network, water points, toilets and sometimes showers. the keys are about a fiver. usually big enough to take the bike in with you so you can do your laundry and have a proper clean. the boaters alongside will watch your kit though and often give you a brew. latch on to a couple or single traveller facing a flight of locks then you can throw your bike on board and do something different in return for tea and cake or even to use their shower/loo.
millimole

Post by millimole »

mercalia wrote:

what is waterways key?

They are a standard Yale key, nominally only available to boaters which give access to Canal & River Trust facilities such as showers and water points.
They are fairly easily bought at chandlers (etc) for about a fiver.
Various canal related businesses have also nicked compatible padlocks for their gates which allows users to only need one key!
There are occasional rumblings within CRT about changing the locks, but I can't see it ever happening due to costs.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

now thats worth knowing but never seen such on the few canals I have been along clearly you have to know what to look for? is there any sign as I think worth getting one.
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:now thats worth knowing but never seen such on the few canals I have been along clearly you have to know what to look for? is there any sign as I think worth getting one.

Map here
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... nd-showers
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:now thats worth knowing but never seen such on the few canals I have been along clearly you have to know what to look for? is there any sign as I think worth getting one.

Map here

thanks for that now have a key in the post. ALways worried about getting caught short when out
maybe that webpage should be a sticky as a problem for any tourist?

so what does this sign mean? mooring?

canal sign.JPG
canal sign.JPG (2.1 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

millimole wrote:
mercalia wrote:

what is waterways key?

They are a standard Yale key, nominally only available to boaters which give access to Canal & River Trust facilities such as showers and water points.
They are fairly easily bought at chandlers (etc) for about a fiver.
Various canal related businesses have also nicked compatible padlocks for their gates which allows users to only need one key!
There are occasional rumblings within CRT about changing the locks, but I can't see it ever happening due to costs.

we boat as well and you used to have to be a boater to buy them, I think they gave up on policing it after they scrapped the commercial arm when labour cut their budget by 100m and they became a charity.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:

Map here

thanks for that now have a key in the post. ALways worried about getting caught short when out
maybe that webpage should be a sticky as a problem for any tourist?

so what does this sign mean? mooring?

canal sign.JPG

just moorings, the maps show which have showers and toilets or water points etc... boaters are usually a friendly bunch (usually) often they'll let you lose the loo and watch your bike. the retirees on their cruise are better to approach than long term moorings, especially if you offer to help work the locks.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

simpe cheap rape alarm and a tent peg in the ground with a small loop round frame.. one pull and the alrm go off waking almost everyone ...
Pete... I think