Bike Security whilst camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Re: Bike Security whilst camping

Post by mercalia »

sabrutat wrote:The advantage of touring with a trailer is being able to unhook it and lock everything together with a 7' cable lock, making the entire rig incredibly unwieldy. It isn't going anywhere without a huge racket.

unless they have a van to put it all in :wink:
honesty

Post by honesty »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
If your not in a camp site, then I take the front wheel off and put it in the tent, between the fly and inner in a plastic bag.
Helps if your miles from a road, which I normally am, fancy carrying a bike with no front wheel.

I like that idea!
drossall

Post by drossall »

An interesting idea I came across was to use a pair of dog anchors. Has anyone actually tried this? Of course they could be sawn through (but you'd probably hear). It would be hard to get them out of the ground if they were spaced apart and both locked to the same bike.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

mercalia wrote:
sabrutat wrote:The advantage of touring with a trailer is being able to unhook it and lock everything together with a 7' cable lock, making the entire rig incredibly unwieldy. It isn't going anywhere without a huge racket.

unless they have a van to put it all in :wink:

Excellent! Free van.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

tatanab wrote:A cable lock through the frame and the captive end of one of my tent poles. Any disturbance would wake me - I hope. I.

I have heard that tip many times.

But if someone was going equipped for theft couldn't they very easily just snip the cable without putting any force on the tent pole and thus waking you?
Sweep
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sweep wrote:But if someone was going equipped for theft couldn't they very easily just snip the cable without putting any force on the tent pole and thus waking you?
It is a fairly thick cable with a built in self coil, so the rebound might be hard to control. So I hope not.
As always it is a question of gauging the risk. I live in rural England and tour rural France usually, so I assess the risk as comparatively low. On tour a couple of years ago, on a rural site in France a young cyclist was horrified that I would secure my machine this way versus his two big D locks. He lived in London so was used to much higher risk and was happy to carry a couple of kilos in locks with him.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:We're off to Netherlands so wondering what locks to take. We usually lock bikes together with a cable lock if in rural area in small, family sites.

Won't a site in the Netherlands have cycling parking stands or at least something a Dutch O-lock's add-on cable would go through?

tantab wrote:He lived in London so was used to much higher risk and was happy to carry a couple of kilos in locks with him.

Maybe not happy but thought it worth doing it. I carried about a kilo of locks on my last tour. I locked up in a city centre and at least one town centre during the tour and left the bike and it was still there when I returned, which made me feel it had been worth it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I've never had an issue with a light weight cable lock, though if in the Lakes, I'll take a lightweight D Lock (Nb. Due to my being out walking etc, throughout the day).

Other than that, if on an organised campsite I'll simply ask the owner/manager/farmer if I can leave the bike in a storeroom, as "I'm off site all day". Never had an issue
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Am sure this has been asked before, on a campsite camp near a perimeter fence and lock to the fence... as I have only ever cycled camp with family the bikes are locked together. Sites would always be on out of the way sites / middle of nowhere... the chances of a targetted theft highly minimal, as would having a bike stolen from a wild camping site....
I for one am more concerned about places like youth hostels, many years ago we were looking at the bikes in hostel bike shed and reckoned with a van we could drive away with a tidy haul.. many not properly locked... hopefully these days security is better....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

eileithyia wrote:Am sure this has been asked before, on a campsite camp near a perimeter fence and lock to the fence... as I have only ever cycled camp with family the bikes are locked together. Sites would always be on out of the way sites / middle of nowhere... the chances of a targetted theft highly minimal, as would having a bike stolen from a wild camping site....
I for one am more concerned about places like youth hostels, many years ago we were looking at the bikes in hostel bike shed and reckoned with a van we could drive away with a tidy haul.. many not properly locked... hopefully these days security is better....

nope. Stratford upon Avon is pathetic a wooden hut near the car park hidden from view a tiny lock used to close a metal arm held by screws. Inside some long pipes to lock you bike to held onto the wall by a few base metal brackets. If I was so inclined I could have helped myself to a nice Rohloff Thorn when I was there last. Tanners Hatch dont really have any where to lock your bike up just an old lean-to where rubbish is stored, no door - on the other hand you do have to walk a mile or so to get there no cars allowed - I like camping there as can find a tree next the tent to lock bike to

I think there should be a thread detailing YHA lockup facilities ? So Stratford 5 out 10. Tanners Hatch 0 ( :lol: ) Berwick upon Tweed 9.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Happily we very often don't lock bikes up when out and about in this area.
Back in April while on a C&CC site in Kent I wandered over to chat to a cycle camper who was staying. Situated in a small orchard way off the road Ken had 3 locks on his Thorn bike. I couldn't help but notice and also couldn't help but comment. Chatting with Ken I discovered he lived in London and I realised the very genuine fear he had of his bike being stolen. My bike leant up against the back of the caravan unlocked for 7 weeks whilst I toured the South without incident.
Ken was trying out his gear before setting off on route1 to Inverness the week after. My advise to him was to get rid of a lot of weight and only take one lock as the further away from London he got the less he'd need. Now maybe I'm a little too trusting but I wonder do others worry a little too much?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
drossall

Post by drossall »

It can happen. We camped at a remote place near a lesser-know Lake District water, as teenagers with the Ventures and Rangers. At least three of us took bikes. They got borrowed occasionally by others in the party, resulting in their not being locked one night. In the morning, two had gone. My (now) wife still regrets the loss of that bike, 40 years on. The other stolen one turned up down the road, damaged. I was the lucky one - mine had been on the bottom, and there must have been two thieves. I rode that one for years, till someone shot out of a side turning on the Stevenage cycle paths, and I wrote it off running into him.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

eileithyia wrote:Am sure this has been asked before, on a campsite camp near a perimeter fence and lock to the fence.

I would not lock to the perimeter fence, too close to people who don't have to enter the site. Move your camp site towards the centre - hopefully better pickings before they get to you. I'd lock through the rear wheel and frame and then off to my tent ... try to move the bike and you move me. The wire cable is small .. say 1/8" so easily over looked. True it will not stop thieves .. but even a heavy lock won't do that.
Oh .. the bike has its own separate fly.. I prefer a dry bike to start off with. So that disguises what is under it, olive drab colour and not a pretty cover.

In remote camp sites around Australia I leave my key in the motorcycle overnight ... bugger all people around and I don't have to find it in the morning. Note .. remote camp site = no formal camp ground, no facilities .. maybe a tree, some creek or pool with some water if your lucky and probably some fire wood. Just pick a spot off the road where you won't be seen.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

drossall wrote:An interesting idea I came across was to use a pair of dog anchors. Has anyone actually tried this? Of course they could be sawn through (but you'd probably hear). It would be hard to get them out of the ground if they were spaced apart and both locked to the same bike.

I was going to post exactly the same thing. Screw inside the tent, attach cable. I'm sure taht the ground would count as an immobile object for your insurers...

Cable ties also very useful - use to attach pots and pans to frame overnight, snipped off in the morning.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:Happily we very often don't lock bikes up when out and about in this area.
Back in April while on a C&CC site in Kent I wandered over to chat to a cycle camper who was staying. Situated in a small orchard way off the road Ken had 3 locks on his Thorn bike. I couldn't help but notice and also couldn't help but comment. Chatting with Ken I discovered he lived in London and I realised the very genuine fear he had of his bike being stolen. My bike leant up against the back of the caravan unlocked for 7 weeks whilst I toured the South without incident.
Ken was trying out his gear before setting off on route1 to Inverness the week after. My advise to him was to get rid of a lot of weight and only take one lock as the further away from London he got the less he'd need. Now maybe I'm a little too trusting but I wonder do others worry a little too much?

its a hard habit to break and thats the point, habits prevent your bike getting nicked, the odd occasion you forget then your bike has gone - would likely lead to a feeling of fear and insecurity and spoil the holiday. London isnt the only place where the bad boys live? Kids/teenagers in particular are a cause for concern - their eyes quickly see a freebie - I once locked my bike outside the local supermarket in Streatham, London, the pump was in its holder velcroed on, on the downbtube, I was at the checkout so could see my bike, a kid came wandering by looked at the bike and started to remove the pump I got there and he ran off. Teenagers will steal anything and they are all around and the same London or not