Airbed recommendations?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
honesty

Re: Airbed recommendations?

Post by honesty »

I've got the Alpkit Dumo. Going to be using it properly for the first time this weekend but it looks good when I've tested it. Built in pump works well as well.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:fact is you cant get some thing for nothing. To get a airbed to work properly it needs to work as memory foam in the sense of molding to your body.

For Some Values Of "properly". If you sleep okay on it it works "properly", but different people are happy on different surfaces. I sleep well on a fairly taut original T-Rest (like a Trail Lite but no cutouts in the foam) or the NeoAir, not so well on an old T-Rest Ultralite (older version of the Prolite 4, roughly). I can get through the night on my old Karrimat, but not as comfortably, and my KIMM Karrimat (thin and short for mountain marathons) needs soft ground and a very tired me.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:
mercalia wrote:fact is you cant get some thing for nothing. To get a airbed to work properly it needs to work as memory foam in the sense of molding to your body.

For Some Values Of "properly". If you sleep okay on it it works "properly", but different people are happy on different surfaces. I sleep well on a fairly taut original T-Rest (like a Trail Lite but no cutouts in the foam) or the NeoAir, not so well on an old T-Rest Ultralite (older version of the Prolite 4, roughly). I can get through the night on my old Karrimat, but not as comfortably, and my KIMM Karrimat (thin and short for mountain marathons) needs soft ground and a very tired me.

Pete.

that is of course true - goodness knows how some people manage with those thin closed cell foam mats but they do as I have seen them on back packers backs; but the op was mentioning poor old bones so natural to try and identify the requirements for us poor old souls who really would like to pack their bed at home in the panniers :) I have tried to use thinner thermarests and they were just too thin to use partly deflated and fully inflated rock hard that do the back no favours.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A friend of mine recently recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Static- ... B00J972O8Q as being the most comfortable camping mattress she's ever used.

It weighs a bit more than I want to haul around, so I haven't tried it. They have some other air mattresses though, that weight rather less. I don't know how they compare in comfort and durability.

The lightest one is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Static- ... c+v2&psc=1 463 grams, and still inflates to 2.5" thick and packs down to cola can sized. Maybe something like that would suit?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'll stick to my oldfashioned Thermarest for now.

And wait for Aldi to sell something.

I've heard some good reports on comfort about their latest offering but it seems a bit big to me to throw on the back of a bike.

I remain suspicious of super lightweight stuff.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Vorpal wrote:A friend of mine recently recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Static- ... B00J972O8Q as being the most comfortable camping mattress she's ever used.

It weighs a bit more than I want to haul around, so I haven't tried it. They have some other air mattresses though, that weight rather less. I don't know how they compare in comfort and durability.

The lightest one is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Static- ... c+v2&psc=1 463 grams, and still inflates to 2.5" thick and packs down to cola can sized. Maybe something like that would suit?

Those seem to have low insulation rating, so you need a warmer (heavier) sleeping bag to prevent the cold from the soil coming up to your body.

I was skeptical on NeoAir ones, then had the chance to borrow one from a friend and was immediately sold to it. The few niggles (a bit slow to deflate, reported "noisy" by some) are nothing when you're sleeping warm on frozen ground 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...